Darksiders: Genesis (Diablo-like ARPG) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted (PC version)

Pikachu

From the dawn of creation, The Council has maintained the Balance across existence. Carrying out their orders are The Horsemen, Nephilim (powerful beings spawned from the unnatural union of angels and demons) who have pledged themselves to the Council and been granted immense power. However, this power came at a tragic cost: the Horsemen were ordered to use their newfound strength to wipe out the rest of their kind. What followed was a bloody battle on Eden where the Horsemen, obeying the will of the Council, annihilated the Nephilim. Still reeling from the events on Eden, War and Strife have been given a new assignment—Lucifer, the enigmatic and deceptive demon king, has been plotting to upset the Balance by granting power to master demons throughout Hell. War and Strife must hunt down these masters, gather information, and ultimately fight their way through a tangled, demonic conspiracy that threatens to forever upset the Balance and unravel all of creation. Darksiders: Genesis is an action/adventure that tears its way through hordes of demons, angels, and everything in-between on its way to Hell and back with guns blazing and swords swinging. Genesis gives players their first look at the world of Darksiders before the events of the original game, as well as introduces the horseman Strife.

• War and Strife have been given a new assignment.
  • Lucifer has been plotting to grant power to master demons throughout Hell.
  • War and Strife must hunt down these masters.
  • Fight your way through a tangled, demonic conspiracy that threatens to forever upset the Balance and unravel all of creation.

'Darksiders Genesis' is more than a Diablo-like dungeon crawler (Engadget)

Darksiders Genesis introduces Strife as the fourth Horseman and primary protagonist, though players can instantly swap between him and War throughout the game to take advantage of their relative combat advantages. Strife relies on firearms while War fights with his sword, Chaos Eater. Together, the Horsemen of the Apocalypse must unravel a tangled web of demonic intrigue to prevent Lucifer (yes, that one) from upsetting the balance of good and evil and destroying the world. You know, just a normal Tuesday in Hell.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I like the look of it but god damn do people actually give a shit about the Darksiders brand? I would prefer it was just a new OP. 

I sure as hell do!

And enough people did to make Darksiders III break even within the first week of its release with its commercial performance on Steam alone.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:54 PM, Paperclyp said:

I like the look of it but god damn do people actually give a shit about the Darksiders brand? I would prefer it was just a new OP. 

I liked the first two games a lot but couldn't be bothered to care about the third one. This however looks a lot more exciting than Darksiders III did!

• 4 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Darksiders Genesis

Platforms:

• PC (Dec 5, 2019)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 14, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Feb 14, 2020)
  • Nintendo Switch (Feb 14, 2020)
  • Google Stadia (Dec 31, 2019)

Developer: Airship Syndicate

Publisher: THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 78 average - 74% recommended

Critic Reviews

Glitched Africa - 9.2 / 10

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Darksider Genesis. The ending leaves much to be desired but the experience to get there was brutally fun and exciting. It takes around 12-15 hours to complete the main campaign and the arena is added content so overall, the game is a great package. I will be playing this next year on a console just to experience it all over again.

Rectify Gaming - 9.2 / 10

Darksiders Genesis’s superb blend of action, platforming and exploration make it one of the best games of the year.

Bazimag - Persian - 9 / 10

Maybe Darksiders Genesis looks like a small game with a limited budget at the first look, but developers have used this budget as best as possible to create a title that unlike Darksiders III, feels like a Darksiders game and is faithful to the roots of this series.

Cerealkillerz - German - 9 / 10

Darksiders Genesis is probably the biggest surprise hit of 2019. Despite the low starting price you get a game that shouldn't hide behind the original games or even the Diablo Series in terms of gameplay variety and content.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

From the gorgeous visuals to the smooth, frenetic combat and environments that beg to be explored, the quality on display here is incredibly impressive. Despite a smattering of minor issues and a few iffy design choices, Darksiders Genesis is still a fantastic videogame, and might even be the best Darksiders game to date.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

We’ll come out and say it: Darksiders Genesis feels a lot like some of our favorite parts of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games mixed with Darksiders tone and puzzle-solving.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

Despite the drastically different change in perspective, the game feels quintessentially Darksiders. For fans, it is a must-play. For anyone with even a passing interest, it is also a must-play.

Boomstick Gaming - 8.8 / 10

Darksiders Genesis is an easy recommend to anyone who enjoys the action-adventure or action-RPG genres.

IGN - 8.7 / 10

Though it lacks polish, Darksiders Genesis is a rare spinoff that equals and sometimes surpasses its mainline brethren

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 86 / 100

Darksiders Genesis looked like another Diablo clone, but it has its own personality and is a Darksiders with a different perspective. It's fun, has a component of RPG and platform game and, despite its problems, is a great new game of the saga created by Madureira brothers.

Cultured Vultures - 8.5 / 10

Despite some hokey voice acting and a few technical quibbles, Darksiders: Genesis manages to be every bit as significant to the franchise as the mainline games.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 8.5 / 10

I expected much less from Darksiders Genesis and I got a really pleasant surprise. What looked like a hack’n’slash, a weird version of Diablo, turned out just another Darksiders game, only isometric. Hell, I think it’s even better than Darksiders III. Good stuff!

Softpedia - 8.5 / 10

There's a compelling story underneath all the hacking and slashing, with interesting characters and extremely well-done level design. The puzzles are very clever, something that I would expect from a Darksiders game, and there's simply a lot of content to enjoy throughout a nearly 15-hour playthrough.

TechRaptor - 8.5 / 10

While Strife may end up playing second fiddle to War in his own debut game, Darksiders Genesis is a surprisingly fun and lengthy top-down co-op action game that both fans and newcomers should enjoy.

PC Gamer - 81 / 100

A great one-shot adventure or an enjoyable grindfest, depending on which you want.

Critical Hit - 8 / 10

As a stopgap between Darksiders 3 and the eventual Darksiders 4, Genesis scratches an itch in an unconventional manner that deserves some appreciation for trying something new along the way. Darksiders Genesis is action and co-op play firing on all cylinders. Even if I do need to strap a pair of binoculars to my face to see what I'm doing.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

I came into Darksiders Genesis expecting nothing and got a fun little co-op dungeon crawler in return. Although the concept of a "Diablo spinoff for the Darksiders series" had the potential to just be a big bowl of wrong, the mad men and women at Airship Syndicate pulled it off. Long live Darksiders.

Game Revolution - 4 / 5 stars

Darksiders Genesis masterfully shrinks down the long-running franchise into a top-down action game that’s just plain fun to play.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

Darksiders Genesis is an incredibly solid adaptation of the IP that brings both War and Strife into a new genre without losing the heart of the franchise.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

Airship Syndicate has created a game that both fans and those new to the series can jump into and have a great deal of fun. And thanks to co-op, it no longer has to be a solitary affair.

Gaming Boulevard - 8 / 10

Darksiders Genesis is a decent follow-up within the Darksiders franchise. It’s really great to see that the developers wanted to try something entirely different in the franchise and I can vouch for it; it’s a fun game to play especially in co-op. The game runs fluently and tries to maintain its link with previous titles by using some of the same mechanics which isn’t always a bad thing. The top-down experience was a blast and I definitely hope they’ll continue with these experimental versions of a great franchise.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8 / 10

An entertaining spin-off that manages to retain the Darksiders vibe while shifting the perspective, offered at an inviting price point.

MSPoweruser - 8 / 10

Darksiders Genesis feels like the next great step for a series that has, until now, often struggled a bit to find its own identity.

PC Invasion - 8 / 10

Darksiders Genesis may be a new look for the series, but it doesn't sacrifice the glorious chaos fans have come to love. Gorgeous visuals, weighty combat, and a surprising amount of replayability make Darksiders Genesis something everyone can enjoy.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

Overall Darksiders Genesis pulls off the change in perspective. It feels like a true to form Darksiders game and should not be skipped by any fan of the series.

3DNews - Russian - 7.5 / 10

Despite of its camera angle, Genesis is a true Darksiders game and a good opportunity to try what it's like to be one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Well, at least two of them.

Areajugones - Spanish - 7.5 / 10

Darksiders Genesis takes the franchise's pillars (fast-paced combat, some puzzles and platforming) to an isometric perspective. A game that, although feels completely like a smaller spin-off rather than a big new entry in the series, manages to still give that Darksiders' feeling that fans love.

Wccftech - 7.5 / 10

Darksiders Genesis manages to twist the series' formula successfully, offering plenty of engaging puzzle-solving and treasure hunting, both elevated by the good mission and location design. Repetitive combat, lack of a true loot system and a few other issues prevent the game from being a must-buy for everyone, but Darksiders fans will surely enjoy their time with the game, even more if they have a friend to play with.

Game Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

Darksiders Genesis is an engaging co-op experience that has some serious technical issues keeping it from reaching its full potential.

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5 stars

Darksiders Genesis find new fun in a new gameplay format. While retaining some of the aesthetic and mechanical qualities that drew fans in to begin with

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

It doesn't continue the story, but Darksiders Genesis is a strong prequel buoyed by fantastic co-op and a fun new character in Strife. Fans of the series, and dungeon crawlers in general, should check this one out.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7 / 10

For those who want to continue knowing the bloody adventures of the four Riders of the Apocalypse, Darksiders Genesis is a must. On the other hand, if you're looking for the usual saga formula, it can be quite disappointing.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7 / 10

When it works, Darksiders Genesis is quite fun and entertaining. Unfortunately the game is plagued by many technical issues and some very questionable design choices that prevent to guarantee an enjoyable experience from start to finish.

Game Informer - 6.5 / 10

Playing with a friend is more fun than solo, but odd design brings down both experiences

RPG Site - 5 / 10

Darksiders Genesis is a fun co-op romp at times, but often feels meandering and sadly pointless.

ACG - Buy

"Genesis does exactly what it sets out to do. Translate Darksiders lore into a new genre and it does so with ease"

Eurogamer - Recommended

Another cheerfully apocalyptic outing for the Horsemen.

Player2.net.au - B

everything Genesis does, it does quite well, and over the ~15-20 hour playtime (depending on how thorough you are) you’ll find it quite hard to identify moments of weakness. For existing and prospective fans alike, there’s much to love about Darksiders Genesis.

Polygon - Unscored

But to answer the question asked by a character in the game: Sure, I had some fun, but I was eventually bored by the constant combat and puzzles that felt like chores meant to break up the real action of the game. An updated view of the action makes Darksiders Genesis look fresh, but after looking under that new paint job I found a game that feels tired, despite a few bright spots.

• 2 months later...

I just started playing it right before it released on console. It's a Darksiders game. The only real similarity it has with Diablo is the POV. War plays very much like he did in the first Darksiders and Strife's gunplay works very well with the overhead perspective. I initially thought the overhead view was mostly for budget reasons, simpler models and all that, but I think a lot of it was also for the Strife gameplay.

I'm enjoying it. It's had some nice puzzles so far and going back to previous levels with new abilities to get upgrades you missed is fun, because you get to see how much stronger you have become and completely demolish the enemies.