How to deal with stripped screws on a laptop heat sink

brandino

Hey all,

So I have a gaming laptop, and the processor runs pretty hot.  I have undervolted it to -.120v and it's still getting up over 90 when I'm doing something intensive like gaming or transcoding.  I'd like to re-paste, but the some of the screws on the heatsink have stripped.  Any ideas how to get them to unscrew?  I have bought a stripped screwdriver kit before, and tried half heartedly.  I don't want to run the risk of having metal shavings shorting something out.  I have also tried a rubber band, and also super glue in the head of the screw and no dice.  Would anyone have any suggestions?

If it matters, here's the specs:

Powerspec 1710 (microcenter store brand)

I7-7700HQ

1070 GTX

16GB RAM

58 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

rubber band??? explain.  I'm fascinated.  Also, thanks for the paper towel tip!!!

If the head is stripped you can lay a rubber band over the head then press the screwdriver "through" the rubber band into the screw.  The rubber band should conform to the stripped inside of the screw-head and give you enough tension/friction to let you unscrew, or at least loosen it.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, brandino said:

It doesn't help that they are tiny screws also.

Do you have a Dremel tool or something similar?  You can always just carefully cut a horizontal line across the top of the screw then use a flat-head screwdriver to take it out.

Just now, Slug said:

Do you have a Dremel tool or something similar?  You can always just carefully cut a horizontal line across the top of the screw then use a flat-head screwdriver to take it out.

I'm too afraid of getting metal shavings on the motherboard and shorting something out

1 minute ago, brandino said:

I'm too afraid of getting metal shavings on the motherboard and shorting something out

Well, there's no power while you're doing it I assume (pop the battery).  And just air-can the shit out of that bad boy when you're done. :P  But yeah if you're not comfortable doing it then don't.

28 minutes ago, Slug said:

If the head is stripped you can lay a rubber band over the head then press the screwdriver "through" the rubber band into the screw.  The rubber band should conform to the stripped inside of the screw-head and give you enough tension/friction to let you unscrew, or at least loosen it.

spacer.png

ahhhh, that's what I thought but wanted to be sure.  Great tip

1 hour ago, Slug said:

spacer.png

I never thought of doing something like that so very cool!

3 hours ago, brandino said:

@SFLUFAN, those vampliers worked great.  I was able to get those damn screws off and repast my laptop.  It would max out around 99 before when doing something intensive, now it's barley cracking 75 when going full bore. 

Which one did you get?  I might have to add this to my toolbox.