Report: Samsung will courageously strip the Galaxy Note of its headphone jack and buttons

14 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

How's the Note going to come in two sizes? 

With the Plus versions of the Galaxy S phones bumping up against the Note screen size (and the S10 5G is actually bigger than the Note 9), the S-Pen has become the defining feature of the Note more than the screen size, I think.

20 hours ago, Emblazon said:

If they get any bigger, they'll be tablets. Though, the OnePlus 7 Pro is taller than the Note 9 and actually doesn't feel huge to me, so maybe there is still room to grow. 

It's all aspect ratio.

Galaxy S10 5G: 6.7" screen, 6.37 x 3.01 x 0.35 in

Fire 7: 7" screen, 7.6 x 4.5 x 0.4 in

iPad Mini: 7.9" screen, 7.87 x 5.3 x 0.28 in

On 5/30/2019 at 3:18 PM, TwinIon said:

Removing the physical buttons sounds really annoying.

I thought it was just the main home button at first, but I'm all for capacitive or pressure sensitive area's as long as it works.

Buttons are always the first thing to break on a phone for me.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:42 PM, Emblazon said:

If they get any bigger, they'll be tablets. Though, the OnePlus 7 Pro is taller than the Note 9 and actually doesn't feel huge to me, so maybe there is still room to grow. 

So @Triage what’s the real deal? Does it feel huge or could it be bigger? 

I don't trust Emblazon to be impartial. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So @Triage what’s the real deal? Does it feel huge or could it be bigger? 

I don't trust Emblazon to be impartial. 

I think it's big and any bigger would be too much. I like it to fit in my one hand (still talking about the phone). It is nice though 

There is no benefit to not having a headphone jack. Fuck off with those stupid arguments.  If I want to use shitty bluetooth earbuds, I can do that and still have an audio jack. How fucking magical. And it doesn't even require an additional accessory!

Anyway, the physical buttons are the best part of the phone, so I guess I won't be buying this Note. I've repurposed the stupid ass Bixby button to a dedicated flashlight button on my Note 8 and it has been the single most used feature of any phone I've ever owned. I've also never had a phone's buttons break, ever. The fuck are you people doing to your phones to break the buttons?

Design just gets worse and worse and dumb fucks keep defending these awful choices. People suck at making good choices.

3 hours ago, Reputator said:

If you want really highend audio, you need a headphone jack.

If you want cheap headphones that don't have tons of issues, you need a headphone jack.

I was surprised to learn that Android does indeed support 24 bit music.

3 hours ago, johnny said:

AirPods are great. Fuck all those wires 

Agreed, one of my favorite purchases. Even works great with my surface. 

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

There is no benefit to not having a headphone jack. Fuck off with those stupid arguments.  If I want to use shitty bluetooth earbuds, I can do that and still have an audio jack. How fucking magical. And it doesn't even require an additional accessory!

Anyway, the physical buttons are the best part of the phone, so I guess I won't be buying this Note. I've repurposed the stupid ass Bixby button to a dedicated flashlight button on my Note 8 and it has been the single most used feature of any phone I've ever owned. I've also never had a phone's buttons break, ever. The fuck are you people doing to your phones to break the buttons?

Design just gets worse and worse and dumb fucks keep defending these awful choices. People suck at making good choices.

Not Android, but I've had my home button break on my iPod touch and my old iPhone 4. I'm not overly hard on my phones and strive to keep them in good condition for resell value, sometimes life just deals you a lemon. If you can eliminate those issues with pressure sensitive areas I see that as a win. That's just me though, I love when Apple changed the home button to be exactly that, just a pressure sensitive button.

Actually this all just reminds me of that classic chunky spaghetti sauce story, where everyone is just making the exact same shit, so whoever actually makes something different will discover there's a market for more than just one style of spaghetti sauce. I want buttons. I want a headphone jack. I do not give two fucks what other people want or think is good. I'm sure you guys feel the same about your own preferences. If you hate buttons, no argument of mine will change your mind, because my opinion on buttons is irrelevant to how you use your phone. Although I wonder if you would've opted to remove these features had they not been so kindly removed for you?

I mean, my solution to buttons breaking would be to make higher quality buttons, not nix them entirely. I've dropped my old Galaxy S5 on concrete at work so many times it should have a shattered screen like the aforementioned lady iPhones, but the screen is just fine, all the buttons work, in fact I love the breakaway design of the phone, where a big impact like that causes the back cover and the battery to pop out, rather than a very expensive phone turning into a very expensive coaster. My newer Note 8 is still tough, but is clearly much more fragile, especially with the stupid ass screen that bends at the edges to absolutely no benefit to me as an end-user.

I want a phone that's powerful and that isn't afraid of buttons, that has a headphone jack, maybe one with a fold-out keyboard or even some sort of gaming controls! I don't want a goddamn smooth, featureless black rectangle! I don't need a mini monolith in my pocket, I already got one! These companies already have multiple phone models, so why not make those models actually make a difference besides "durr big phone vs small phone"?

10 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I dunno, every chick I've ever met has a broken iPhone screen, yet they keep making the screens. If they want to eliminate points of failure, they're doing a real shitty job.

Go watch JerryRigs drop test on the XS. Dude hates Apple and is constantly throwing shade at them, but still has to admit that they did really good with that iPhone. 

I even experienced it myself, dropped my phone, no case, no screen shield, first week I had it from about chest height (I’m 6’1). I have a small discoloration on the top right, not a chip, not a dent, just a weird discoloration on the phone. 

I’m with you though, options are never a bad thing. I’d actually prefer a slightly larger body with a larger battery, a headphone jack, and no horrible camera bump (the “leaked” iPhone 11 is a horror story). However on the other hand I like pressure sensitive buttons, I don’t hate sleek bodies (I do have a distaste for the glass bending edges though), and I really enjoy my AirPods. They are a really good wireless experience that make me not miss the headphone jack.

My XR is the only phone I've ever had my screen broken. I don't even know how it happened because it happened within the first couple days of me having it. I also use a case for my phone. It's not a bad crack, just on the bottom corner and it doesn't actually affect the viewing portion of the screen, but I was still pretty bummed by it.