The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, update - Netflix cancels series after one season

• 2 months later...

Netflix’s Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance builds on everything that made the film great (The Verge)

In 1982, Jim Henson and Frank Oz redefined fantasy filmmaking with The Dark Crystal, an ambitious, puppet-driven movie that tells a wondrous story about an ancient world on the brink of destruction or salvation. In the post-Game of Thrones fantasy licensing frenzy, it would have been easy for Netflix to snap up the rights to the Dark Crystal world, make a cheap knockoff, and count on nostalgia to lure viewers. Instead, Clash of the Titans and The Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier has produced a true labor of love. The series The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance builds on everything that made the film great, and it has the potential to become a classic in its own right.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Is the Groundbreaking Fantasy Epic We've Been Waiting For (io9)

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance may be perfect nostalgia...because it never acts nostalgic. It’s a gripping fantasy that expands Jim Henson’s iconic world, challenging viewers of all ages with complex themes, horrifying imagery, and an environmental message we may need now more than ever. Also, it’s a technological masterpiece.

The Jim Henson company has consistently put out some of my favorite works and there are very few things I could be more excited for than this (more Farscape might go ahead of this for one). I hope this is something we can get 10+ seasons out of and the quality stays up to what the reviews are saying of this first season.

• Thanks 1

Now I don’t remember the movie at all really, bought the 4K disc to watch. For those who have seen the series and movie. Which order would you watch them in, even though this is a prequel series? Is there some nostalgic moments you think would work with movie watching first or a Wow if I didn’t?

Im on ep9. Totally binged this over the weekend. Its amazing. They really kept true to the source material and expanded upon in such a way that they really made Thra feel so alive and full of wonder. They even managed to make it darker than the movie, which i never expected. 

they really knocked it out of the park. 

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

Now I don’t remember the movie at all really, bought the 4K disc to watch. For those who have seen the series and movie. Which order would you watch them in, even though this is a prequel series? Is there some nostalgic moments you think would work with movie watching first or a Wow if I didn’t?

Watch the movie first. The show is so grand I feel like if you’ve never seen the movie it might be a let down if you watch it second. Plus you’ll have an appreciation for how damn on point the show got everything and every character from the movie. 

• Thanks 1

So I just finished the series and I’m going to re-watch the movie tomorrow since it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. 

Some questions for others who finished it:

Spoiler

I don’t recall any of the characters from the series being in the movie. I know the gap between the series and the movie is 50 years (or trine?). So with that, the ending was weird. There was no closure on these character’s story arcs. It ends seemingly as a victory but we know the gelfing were all but wiped out. Do the comics fill in this gap? Or do we just assume the garthim? (The big beetles) hunted the gelfing and killed them? I think we learn that in the movie between Jan and Kira when they dreamfast  

21 hours ago, atom631 said:

So I just finished the series and I’m going to re-watch the movie tomorrow since it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. 

Some questions for others who finished it:

Reveal hidden contents

So in the movie at 23:45 

Spoiler

Aughra meets Jan and she says the gathrim killed all the gelfling. So I guess that explains the large gap from the series to the story. 

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, update - Netflix cancels series after one season
56 minutes ago, Reputator said:

No explanation? Seems weird. I know it was an expensive show, but I never heard any indications it was a "flop". Though personally it did bore me enough not to finish it.

It's got to be a positive feedback loop at a certain point where Netflix's reputation for abruptly killing shows keeps people from bothering in the first place, which then causes Netflix to kill shows even quicker over low numbers.