Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

3 hours ago, legend said:

Why do people think it might be Baldur's Gate 3?

Last year, an ex-Larian employee claimed that the studio had acquired the Baldur's Gate license and had started working on the game. 

Of course, Larian denied the claim, but then inXile's Brian Fargo went on Twitter and said that BGIII was in development and he knows the studio working on it.

15 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I tried to get into the first D:OS but couldn't. Should I try to get back into that or go straight into the sequel?

What was the problem? If you got stuck somewhere do a bit of research for character building to make sure you have a decent party. If you're facing higher level enemies and think that there aren't any other weaker enemies to fight, there are but somewhere else where you either missed the entrance or skipped earlier when the enemies were a higher level than you and forgot about it. So if the problem was just frustration with a fight you couldn't get past give it another try.

I would suggest trying to get back into D:OS before trying D:OS II because the armor system they added can make things tougher and if you were turned off the first game, the second could be worse for you so better to see if you can enjoy the first one and then play the second.

Just now, dualhunter said:

What was the problem? If you got stuck somewhere do a bit of research for character building to make sure you have a decent party. If you're facing higher level enemies and think that there aren't any other weaker enemies to fight, there are but somewhere else where you either missed the entrance or skipped earlier when the enemies were a higher level than you and forgot about it. So if the problem was just frustration with a fight you couldn't get past give it another try.

I would suggest trying to get back into D:OS before trying D:OS II because the armor system they added can make things tougher and if you were turned off the first game, the second could be worse for you so better to see if you can enjoy the first one and then play the second.

Rock two mages or one Mage and a ranger and it's easy sailing to the end of the game.

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Last year, an ex-Larian employee claimed that the studio had acquired the Baldur's Gate license and had started working on the game. 

Of course, Larian denied the claim, but then inXile's Brian Fargo went on Twitter and said that BGIII was in development and he knows the studio working on it.

I see. I guess we'll find out!

1 hour ago, dualhunter said:

What was the problem? If you got stuck somewhere do a bit of research for character building to make sure you have a decent party.

Yeah I think is potentially a big blocker for a lot of people. DOS1 gives you a lot of freedom to make an awful party or even character in general, and it's unforgiving if you do.

DOS2 seems a bit more forgiving in this regard.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Yeah I think is potentially a big blocker for a lot of people. DOS1 gives you a lot of freedom to make an awful party or even character in general, and it's unforgiving if you do.

DOS2 seems a bit more forgiving in this regard.

I created a poor character when I first played DOS1. Then I re-started the game, put more thought into it, and got a bit further... until I hit another wall because my character was less poor, but still poor. I was done after that.

I actually have DOS2 but haven't started it yet. I hear this one is a little bit better balanced. We'll see.

37 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I created a poor character when I first played DOS1. Then I re-started the game, put more thought into it, and got a bit further... until I hit another wall because my character was less poor, but still poor. I was done after that.

I actually have DOS2 but haven't started it yet. I hear this one is a little bit better balanced. We'll see.

yes DOS2 improved a ton of things from 1. 

Is it insulting to Obsidian that Larian is doing this? :p Pillars is easily the most Baldur's Gate like of the recent RPGs, by design. On the other hand, maybe it would feel weird for them to dip back into that when they're basically already doing it.

1 hour ago, legend said:

Is it insulting to Obsidian that Larian is doing this? :p Pillars is easily the most Baldur's Gate like of the recent RPGs, by design. On the other hand, maybe it would feel weird for them to dip back into that when they're basically already doing it.

Oh, I don't think it's insulting to Obsidian at all.  It wouldn't surprise me if Obsidian really didn't necessarily have an interests in working on BGIII considering that (as you correctly pointed out) they have already developed a pair of Baldur's Gate spiritual successors within a few years of each other.  I imagine that they'd want a nice long break from developing that type of RPG.

It's definitely more of a testament to what Larian has done with the two Original Sin titles and their unquestionably high level of quality that gave Wizards of the Coast the confidence to entrust them with the Baldur's Gate license.  And I expect that Larian has developed a comfortable relationship with Wizards of the Coast already:

• Like 1

Baldur's Gate 3 will combine the best of Divinity and D&D 5th Edition (PC Gamer)

With over 20 years of D&D-adjacent RPGs behind it, from Divine Divinity to Divinity: Original Sin 2, Larian's hardly a wildcard choice, but when CEO Swen Vincke first approached Wizards of the Coast, he didn't get very far. Wizards called the studio "a bit too green" when Vincke tried to convince the publisher during the development of the first Original Sin. It was Wizards that got in touch with Larian, however, once Original Sin 2 was in the works.