Microsoft officially announces Xbox Game Pass for PC, update - PC Game Pass will cost $5/month

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I can decide not to spend any money on games / gaming services for a year and access all the same content I once could.

I can’t access all the same content when my paywall subscriptions expire.  Online multiplayer modes are content.

Maybe you just don’t buy games on PC often anymore.  Steam sales are old fashioned.  I only “buy” things on there when I use my free credit.

GMG typically sells Steam keys for new releases for sub $50.  They consistently beat XBLG/PSN+ prices on the AAA games they sell.  As do publishers’ own launchers for their own stuff.

Only way to match Humble and Fanatical’s bundle deals on consoles is to hit up eBay and hope the discs aren’t scratched up.  But only for retail games.

Indie game prices almost always hit historical lows on PC first.  Only exceptions are those rare cases when the PC port comes late.

Those concerns about DRM are overblown, IMO, particularly in comparison to these modern subscription libraries where games are periodically removed to change up the menu.

Ultimately, I’d rather have a Steam license for a game than a physical disc with modes that break if I don’t keep throwing money at it.

I just preordered every new game with a release date thats been annouced (probably 15 games). Im taking advantage of  the final days of my GCU membership. 20% off each physical game, day one. Many give me an extra $10 reward zone. I then use my BB CC for another 5% in points. I can play the game, trade it in, sell it or let a friend borrow it. 

I know this is ending and it makes me sad... but for years I have gotten every new release for $40 or less using this method.  Then sold some of the games for $25-$30 on CL or ebay or worst case trade it in at gamestop. 

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

This is your issue, you look at on line service as some kind extra perk when it not. This isnt sirus radio , this is using your speedometer.

sirius is in my car when i buy it. its a matter of them "unlocking it" when i decide to pay. the hardware is all there already. they arent adding anything new. same with naviation, remote start, the driver assist stuff, etc... 

21 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I just preordered every new game with a release date thats been annouced (probably 15 games). Im taking advantage of  the final days of my GCU membership. 20% off each physical game, day one. Many give me an extra $10 reward zone. I then use my BB CC for another 5% in points. I can play the game, trade it in, sell it or let a friend borrow it. 

I know this is ending and it makes me sad... but for years I have gotten every new release for $40 or less using this method.  Then sold some of the games for $25-$30 on CL or ebay or worst case trade it in at gamestop. 

If you’re the type of gamer that sells a lot of what you buy and gets a lot new, then sure, physical is cheapest.  GCU was a huge boon for that.  It’s going to leave quite a void when it’s gone.

If you’re like me and don’t like to schedule your backlog around when games lose value or (partial) access privileges, PC has me covered.  I think it’s a great option for patient gamers too.

Both are the cheapest routes for each, IMO.  I think we prioritize different things.

But preferences don’t make XBLG’s existence any less ironic.  Microsoft should have ended it with their focus on Games Pass.

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

i know.. which makes this argument all the more laughable when you quabble at $5/mo. 

Its less the 5 bucks and more how this action ripples across the entire gaming universe.  If console gamers had given MS and Sony the big fuck U like PC gamers did when it was tried on them we wouldnt be having this conversation and y'all wouldn't be ok with console manufacturers selling you a system Rent a Center style.

17 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Its less the 5 bucks and more how this action ripples across the entire gaming universe.  If console gamers had given MS and Sony the big fuck U like PC gamers did when it was tried on them we wouldnt be having this conversation and y'all wouldn't be ok with console manufacturers selling you a system Rent a Center style.

Precisely.

What is going to ripple now are competing Games Pass like subscriptions.  And worse this play a Gears a few days early when you layer subscriptions.

I blame EA for that last one.  Microsoft’s going to popularize it.

16 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Remember when ps3 launched at $600 and the community gasped in utter outrage and shock? The same thing would happen again. 

PC elitists seem to always forget console gamers don’t really give a fuck about the same things as you. They want to turn the system on and it works. If the games look good, great. I come from both camps and see the value in both. 

Bottom line- to try and steer this ship back on topic -at $15/mo for access to hundreds of games and first party titles on both my PC and console with cross-play and save - IN MY OPINION - is a great deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atom631 said:

PC elitists seem to always forget console gamers don’t really give a fuck about the same things as you. They want to turn the system on and it works. If the games look good, great.

Has nothing to do the with the conversation at hand but keep on flailing

4 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Bottom line- to try and steer this ship back on topic -at $15/mo for access to hundreds of games and first party titles on both my PC and console with cross-play and save - IN MY OPINION - is a great deal

I agree its a great deal 

for PC users 

28 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Precisely.

What is going to ripple now are competing Games Pass like subscriptions.  And worse this play a Gears a few days early when you layer subscriptions.

I blame EA for that last one.  Microsoft’s going to popularize it.

Console makers and game dev/pub are always pushing the boundary of whats ok and if you dont push back it gets normalized 

Remember when the world was aghast with Horse Armor?

Now that shit is an almost every game except now you buy a spin with a chance to win that armor

Loot boxes are such a norm now that some devs dont consider them DLC

Remember when beating the final boss unlocked new characters

Now we have fighter packs

PC players used to get updates with free maps and levels but not any more

Witcher 3 got a massive internet circle jerk for doing something that was norm not so long ago

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

Anything I buy digitally and gold also goes on my sons Xbox. 

Ive never tried on my pc, but can you do this with steam or the other launchers? 

On steam you can do a family share with 5 other computers  or if you were using the same account you can play the same games offline on another computer if you have it signed in there.

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I signed up to give the $1 trial a go (also because I've wanted to give zoo tycoon a whirl for a very very long time).

God there are a lot of things microsoft needs to fix on this. 

:facepalm:

Like what? (Genuinely asking, I haven’t signed up yet)

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Like what? (Genuinely asking, I haven’t signed up yet)

* Downloads from the store were slow and clunky,
* No dedicated section in the windows store or xbox companion app from what I can see makes it hard to see what games I have access to (I found it easier to go through the site which then kicks me to the windows store app. =/

* I'm not seeing install or download size listed anywhere on the store app. :confused:

53 minutes ago, chakoo said:

* Downloads from the store were slow and clunky,
* No dedicated section in the windows store or xbox companion app from what I can see makes it hard to see what games I have access to (I found it easier to go through the site which then kicks me to the windows store app. =/

* I'm not seeing install or download size listed anywhere on the store app. :confused:

Think you're on the wrong app, bud.

Search for "Xbox" and install the app called "Xbox (beta)"

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Think you're on the wrong app, bud.

Search for "Xbox" and install the app called "Xbox (beta)"

Thanks but it didn't give me that app yesterday when I looked. I see it now but it's asking for me to install "Windows 10 Insider Preview", So I think I'll hold out for now. 

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

Thanks but it didn't give me that app yesterday when I looked. I see it now but it's asking for me to install "Windows 10 Insider Preview", So I think I'll hold out for now. 

Yeah, it wasn't available until after the press conference, and it does require a Windows update. I'm not sure why. App is alright. Not amazing or anything, but simple and functional.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Incredibly shocking that the Aye Mateys of the world revolted against paying for something :p

I'm too lazy to pirate games these days.  I'm also too lazy to pay for online subscriptions just to play online.  I just want my games to work as advertised.  Period.

I've never paid for an MMO either.  I still have an unused PSN+ gift card I got for Christmas. 

Don't know if it has been posted in this thread or in general, but if you have months of Game Pass, and or months of Xbox Live, if you upgrade to Ultimate for $1, it should take your existing months and combine them into months for Ultimate +1. Had 21 months of them combined (thanks Bing Rewards) and now I have 22 of Ultimate. 

10 hours ago, Commodore D said:

Don't know if it has been posted in this thread or in general, but if you have months of Game Pass, and or months of Xbox Live, if you upgrade to Ultimate for $1, it should take your existing months and combine them into months for Ultimate +1. Had 21 months of them combined (thanks Bing Rewards) and now I have 22 of Ultimate. 

Be sure to extend your Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass subscription to the maximum allowable of three years first before the conversion to Ultimate.

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Are there any Gold or Xbone Game Pass deals around? I have about 8 months left with Gold so I figured I'd buy 2 years of Gold + 3-6 months of GP before switching it to the $1 Ultimate bundle and having it all combine into 3 years of GP Ultimate.

i picked up a gamepass 12 month sub for $45 on ebay just before i converted. im good until 6/9/21.