Update: Naftali Bennett inaugurated as Israeli PM

17 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Completely unanalogous political systems.

They don’t need to be all that analogous to illustrate the point. Find me a more analogous one and the point is the same. Thing is just that Israel is one of the bigger clusterfucks. 

The United Kingdom has an analogous parliamentary system to Israel, is largely dominated by two very large political parties, has vastly fewer minor parties in its Parliament than Israel does in its Knesset, and yet somehow is even more "ungovernable" (and not just because of the Brexit debacle) than Israel.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The United Kingdom has an analogous parliamentary system to Israel, is largely dominated by two very large political parties, has vastly fewer minor parties in its Parliament than Israel does in its Knesset, and yet somehow is even more "ungovernable" (and not just because of the Brexit debacle) than Israel.

That’s only the last few years though. The UK has a crisis of weak leaders on top of a system that makes their government less responsive. 

Besides I don’t see how that even disproves my point that multi-party democracy is not some kind of panacea. Parliamentary coalitions seem to have the same basic issues that partisan coalitions do. 

39 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

They don’t need to be all that analogous to illustrate the point. Find me a more analogous one and the point is the same. Thing is just that Israel is one of the bigger clusterfucks. 

Canada. Parliamentary system dominated by two parties, with a moderately-strong third party and a smattering of smaller parties. Over the course of its history it has only been governed by the two main parties, and on only a few occasions have they been propped up by the third (when the CCF/NDP have propped up a Liberal minority). Canada's government has been quite stable and moderate throughout its history, with little of the drama you see in other Parliamentary systems. This is an example of how a country's culture can be just as important as the system of government it uses.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s main rival on Wednesday conceded defeat in Israel’s elections, paving the way for the longtime leader to forge a coalition that has the potential to be the most religious and far-right government in the country’s history. 

WaPo

Not the outcome I would have hoped for, but about what I expected (knowing nothing about the election beforehand).

• 2 weeks later...

What sucks about the Times cartoon is that the New York Times is still widely seen as being part of "the left," in spite of the fact that most people actually on the left hate it, and so it's going to be held us evidence of antisemitism coming from Both Sides from people who are acting in bad faith and/or stupid

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Israel heads for unprecedented third election in a year as stalemate continues

Israel’s parliamenthas approved a preliminary vote to dissolve itself, putting the country on the verge of an unprecedented third election in 12 months.

After months of political deadlock following a September election, lawmakers overwhelmingly passed the first of three votes required to dissolve the parliament and set a date of 2 March for new elections. Lawmakers had faced a midnight deadline that would have automatically dissolved parliament and set elections later in March.

• 2 months later...

Israel election: exit poll puts Netanyahu ahead but short of majority

If the official results due on Tuesday morning are the same as the exit poll, his party will only get 60 seats and Israeli politicians could again be plunged into weeks of high-stakes negotiations and even the possibility of a fourth election if the process breaks down.

13 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

But he keeps (kinda/sorta) winning!

It is kinda impressive (in a sad, depressing, Trump kinda way) that he's going to be on trial for corruption and still "wins" elections again and again.

I often wonder what elections in the US would be if you ran them back 3 times within the same year. Can you imagine what 2016 would look like if we tried it again twice over? Maybe the Dems get their act together because of the sudden realization that Trump can win, or maybe Trump's initial narrow victory really rallies his base and they take an actual significant victory. Given that election season already never ends in the US, maybe more frequent elections would be fun.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It is kinda impressive (in a sad, depressing, Trump kinda way) that he's going to be on trial for corruption and still "wins" elections again and again.

I often wonder what elections in the US would be if you ran them back 3 times within the same year. Can you imagine what 2016 would look like if we tried it again twice over? Maybe the Dems get their act together because of the sudden realization that Trump can win, or maybe Trump's initial narrow victory really rallies his base and they take an actual significant victory. Given that election season already never ends in the US, maybe more frequent elections would be fun.

• 1 month later...