Apple to refresh Mac line in the fall

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/11/apple-product-updates-fall-kuo/

iPhone - There are three iPhones in the works, two OLED models in 5.8 and 6.5-inch sizes and one lower-cost LED model that will be available in a 6.1-inch size. All three will feature Face ID and upgraded A12 processors. While the two OLED models will have dual-lens cameras, the lower-cost model will feature a single-lens camera.

iPad Pro - Apple is working on two new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models that are equipped with a full-screen design similar to the iPhone X and no Home button, with Apple to replace Touch ID with Face ID.

Mac mini - Kuo didn't have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini, but he says a processor upgrade is expected. The Mac mini has not been updated for more than 1,300 days, aka over 3 and a half years. It's not clear if additional upgrades will be included, such as a redesigned chassis, but at least some kind of refresh is on the horizon.

MacBook Pro - Processor upgrades expected.

MacBook - Processor upgrades expected.

New Low-Priced Notebook - Kuo believes Apple is designing a new low-priced notebook. He originally said that this would be in the MacBook Air family, but now has changed his mind. Previous rumors have suggested this machine could be a 12-inch MacBook, so Apple may be planning to expand the MacBook lineup with an additional low-cost option to replace the MacBook Air.

iMac - Kuo says to expect a significant display performance upgrade, but he does not go into detail about what this will entail and we haven't heard additional iMac rumors at this time. He says the iMac, like other Macs, will get a processor refresh. 

Apple Watch - Apple is working on two new Apple Watch models for 2018 that will have bigger displays and enhanced heart rate detection features. The two Apple Watch models will measure in at 1.57 inches (39.9mm) and 1.78 inches (45.2mm), compared to the current 38 and 42mm sizes. Rumors have not been clear on whether the Apple Watch itself will be larger or if the bigger display will come from a reduction in bezels.

Mac Mini!

My work laptop is due for a replacement in September, I hope the timing here is sufficient to let me get one of these new ones without having to wait a huge amount of time for work IT to actually stock them, especially if this processor upgrade finally sees 32 GB of RAM come along for the ride. If they're gonna fix the keyboard issues with these that would be a nice bonus too.

• Thanks 1

The Airpods are absolutely the best wireless earbuds on the market. 

And Face ID is a huge improvement over Touch ID. Once you get a phone without a home button, you'll wonder why it took so long to implement because it's just so damn intuitive. 

And with iOS 12, notifications are finally where they should be. 

I love my MacBook Pro. It might not be the fastest laptop, but the trackpad is a dream, and Mac OS is so far ahead of Windows in terms of usability and interface. My productivity has increased a ridiculous amount just because it's so much easier to multi-task on Mac OS. 

10 hours ago, Emblazon said:

I love my MacBook Pro. It might not be the fastest laptop, but the trackpad is a dream, and Mac OS is so far ahead of Windows in terms of usability and interface. My productivity has increased a ridiculous amount just because it's so much easier to multi-task on Mac OS. 

I'm not sure what kind of work you do but it's unquestionable that if you are an expert with Windows that it is easily faster and easier to use than a Mac. As an expert in both, I can tell you that at least personally a Mac feels slow to me. It's closed OS is such a limit. Just my .02. Everyone should use what works best for them of course. 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure what kind of work you do but it's unquestionable that if you are an expert with Windows that it is easily faster and easier to use than a Mac. As an expert in both, I can tell you that at least personally a Mac feels slow to me. It's closed OS is such a limit. Just my .02. Everyone should use what works best for them of course. 

By usability, I mean quickly opening apps, navigating between apps and app windows, and the usefulness of the finder/explorer windows.

The multiple desktop implementation on Windows is atrocious. Using the trackpad to switch between desktops, app windows, and all windows is as quick as can be on Mac OS. Color coding items in the finder window saves a ridiculous amount of time when working with a large number of files--you simply can't do that on Windows. Hell, launching apps is quicker on Mac OS--Spotlight Search is unparalleled--Command + Spacebar, and say I want to open Excel--I type the letter "e" and Excel is the top result so all I have to do is click Enter and boom, the app is open. Hell, you can drag and drop most used applications to the top of the finder window, so every time you open a finder window, apps are lined up at the top.

So, if you consider yourself an "expert" in both, you're just either a Windows fanboy, or completely lying to yourself about which is quicker.

One other thing--multiple monitors. Windows is the fucking WORST at handling multiple monitors. Every graphics card has its own separate set up, settings aren't remembered, and sometimes, it just doesn't want to connect. With Mac OS and the MBP, it auto detects every time, displays whether you want mirrored or extended on the touch bar as soon as you connect, and functions flawlessly.

5 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

By usability, I mean quickly opening apps, navigating between apps and app windows, and the usefulness of the finder/explorer windows.

The multiple desktop implementation on Windows is atrocious. Using the trackpad to switch between desktops, app windows, and all windows is as quick as can be on Mac OS. Color coding items in the finder window saves a ridiculous amount of time when working with a large number of files--you simply can't do that on Windows. Hell, launching apps is quicker on Mac OS--Spotlight Search is unparalleled--Command + Spacebar, and say I want to open Excel--I type the letter "e" and Excel is the top result so all I have to do is click Enter and boom, the app is open. Hell, you can drag and drop most used applications to the top of the finder window, so every time you open a finder window, apps are lined up at the top.

So, if you consider yourself an "expert" in both, you're just either a Windows fanboy, or completely lying to yourself about which is quicker.

One other thing--multiple monitors. Windows is the fucking WORST at handling multiple monitors. Every graphics card has its own separate set up, settings aren't remembered, and sometimes, it just doesn't want to connect. With Mac OS and the MBP, it auto detects every time, displays whether you want mirrored or extended on the touch bar as soon as you connect, and functions flawlessly.

Honestly my experience has been the exact opposite, whee dual screening with Windows is easier for me than Macs. My wife is a Mac lover, and even she agrees that if she could learn Windows (her watching how I use it) she would, but she's used Macs so long that's what she's comfortable with.

I'm not saying Macs don't do some things better, but most serious coders and tech heads that I know use open source systems (Windows, Linux, etc.). I'm not trying to hate, if you like Apple great! Was just speaking to my own experiences was all. You're a very standoffish fellow lol. 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Honestly my experience has been the exact opposite, whee dual screening with Windows is easier for me than Macs. My wife is a Mac lover, and even she agrees that if she could learn Windows (her watching how I use it) she would, but she's used Macs so long that's what she's comfortable with.

I'm not saying Macs don't do some things better, but most serious coders and tech heads that I know use open source systems (Windows, Linux, etc.). I'm not trying to hate, if you like Apple great! Was just speaking to my own experiences was all. You're a very standoffish fellow lol. 

No, it's just that your response isn't being objective. Google is populated with mostly Macs. My home workstation is a PC on Windows 10. If you dive in and really learn to use the Mac OS, it's unequivocally quicker to navigate around the computer than it is on Windows. I'm not talking being able to use third party applications, or customize the way the computer functions beyond original recognition--I'm talking what the operating systems gave you, and working with that. 

Now, I will wholeheartedly agree that the Mac internals is what holds back the Mac line of computers. It's the only reason I have a Windows workstation at home--for the price I paid, I got a significantly faster computer than if I would have purchased a Mac. It boggles my mind that Apple can be on the forefront of so much technology, but then be ok with using previous gen internals for their computers AND charging a premium. If the operating system wasn't a complete godsend, I'd have told Apple to fuck off long ago.

30 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/07/apple-updates-macbook-pro-with-faster-performance-and-new-features-for-pros/

MBP updated today. You can get 6 cores on the 15”.

Hopefully the keyboard is better

Super weird for them to drop this out of nowhere. But at least this means I should be good to go on my September laptop update. :sun:

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Super weird for them to drop this out of nowhere. But at least this means I should be good to go on my September laptop update. :sun:

32 GB of RAM, too. That would have been nice for me, but I'm not complaining. I used to be a CBR only kind of guy, but since the MBP only uses Hardware Acceleration for VBR, I've switched over to single-pass VBR, and with the Hardware Acceleration the MBP absolutely tears through encodes.

EDIT: WTF is "Core i9"???

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

No, it's just that your response isn't being objective. Google is populated with mostly Macs. My home workstation is a PC on Windows 10. If you dive in and really learn to use the Mac OS, it's unequivocally quicker to navigate around the computer than it is on Windows. I'm not talking being able to use third party applications, or customize the way the computer functions beyond original recognition--I'm talking what the operating systems gave you, and working with that. 

I mean, I wasn't saying Microsoft = fast and Mac = slow, just that I am decently faster on Windows than on Mac, not that Mac is slow by comparison. But I haven't met many who felt Mac was faster was all. Maybe it is, I'll have to learn more for sure but the shortcuts, etc. on Windows is pretty blisteringly fast. But totally I should learn more if you are this adamant. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, I wasn't saying Microsoft = fast and Mac = slow, just that I am decently faster on Windows than on Mac, not that Mac is slow by comparison. But I haven't met many who felt Mac was faster was all. Maybe it is, I'll have to learn more for sure but the shortcuts, etc. on Windows is pretty blisteringly fast. But totally I should learn more than if you are this adamant. :)

While Mac OS is great on other Macs, it's specifically the 15" MBP with the touch bar that really puts everything over the top. Trackpad gestures, contextual touch bar, the way multiple desktops are set up (especially with multiple monitors), and the versatility of the finder window. 

Using the touch bar to add and remove color tags to items in the finder window literally made me giggle the first time I saw I was able to do that. :sun:

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Windows isn't open source either. In my experience (and counting myself) developers who prefer Linux, prefer Mac over Windows because Mac is Unix based and makes development far more compatible and similar. That's starting to change only recently since MS has begun adding the excellent feature of a Linux subsystem.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

But it's still surprising that they did this as a surprise drop with zero fanfare.

I feel like Apple hasn’t really had any fanfare on the Mac front for a few years.

This is a speedbump upgrade, they rarely get fanfare.

And yes, the Mac line has been languishing for years. This upgrade isn't very exciting. I've never been impressed by the current line of MacBooks. Don't like the keyboard, don't like USB-C (yet), don't care about the Touchbar, think they are overpriced.

21 minutes ago, legend said:

Windows isn't open source either. In my experience (and counting myself) developers who prefer Linux, prefer Mac over Windows because Mac is Unix based and makes development far more compatible and similar. That's starting to change only recently since MS has begun adding the excellent feature of a Linux subsystem.

You're right, saying open source is a bit much heh.

That's true their similar, but at least coders in my life say to me they feel that despite the Unix similarity, they feel their hands are more tied by Mac. Like I said though, not hating on Macs, and you have more experience than me on this personally I think, so I default to you on the subject. I can see it going the other way and I'm mistaken. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ort said:

You can argue all you want about iOS being closed, but Mac OS most certainly is not at all. No more or less than Windows. The hardware might be, but not the OS.

I was referring to the hardware when I said closed, I really should have made that clear. I should have said PC instead of Microsoft for that part. 

MBP for laptop.

Custom PC for desktop.

Not that one doesn’t exist, but I’ve literally never seen a PC laptop as well constructed as a MBP.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

You're right, saying open source is a bit much heh.

That's true their similar, but at least coders in my life say to me they feel that despite the Unix similarity, they feel their hands are more tied by Mac. Like I said though, not hating on Macs, and you have more experience than me on this personally I think, so I default to you on the subject. I can see it going the other way and I'm mistaken. 

My anecdotal observation is that you will find many software engineers be windows users, because for their job, they kind of had to be and they became familiar with it. (There also legitimate reasons to prefer Windows too. I don't mean to portray that as the only reason).

Computer scientists (academia or industry research scientists) are heavily split between Mac and Linux, with Windows occupying a small fraction of what's left over. If someone only saw an AI conference they'd think Apple dominated the paid PC market with all the mac laptops you'll see :p 

Personally, if you asked me in 2010, my rankings would go

Mac > Linux >>> Windows

Today, because Mac has gotten worse, while Linux and Windows got better, it's

Linux > Mac > Windows

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ort said:

For some reason it really bothers me to see threads like this on the entertainment board...

I don't really love it either but based on the volume of Apple/Mac discussion we had pre-implosion I don't really see that the "right" solution (a dedicated board) is justified; and none of the other boards we have right now are really a great fit either.

I agree that less boards is better, but I think we swung a little too far in the other direction... I mean, tabletop games? Really?

What about a technology and consumerism board?

I'd suggest the PC board, but any Apple thread made on a PC board would be insufferable.