How do you relax?

gamer.tv

As we live in a world where people are working longer hours than their parents, work from home on a more regular basis, are electronically connected to work 24/7 and socially have more pressure than ever to be busy, how do you unwind? It could be 5 minutes of complete downtime, away from doing anything or something more substantial. 

The main thing for me is to clean and tidy. If I've sorted my house and garden to the point where I feel that it's satisfactory, I can then relax in a number of ways (reading, games, movies, television, drawing, guitar) but if everything around me is dishevelled, I really struggle to settle and concentrate. 

Exercise is another great way, normally running to something guitar driven. It gives me the chance to only concentrate on where I'm going and the immediate area around me. 

Walking the dog and specifically listening to the Giant Bomb/Beastcast is also a favourite. There's something about the familiar voices mixed in with gaming news and some fun that puts me in a great place and the mild exercise and enjoying spending time with my Dog is lovely. 

So, all of the above are horribly cliched, but it helps keep me on a level playing field. 

As a bonus question, do you think you take enough time out of the week for yourself? Between working at school and an office, seeing friends and family, spending time with my partner and doing some general life admin, I can't say that I do. Even when I leave both jobs in August, I'll be moving into a lifestyle that will be as consuming, though only in the single profession which will help.

• Like 1

For me it's mostly getting out into nature, whether that means a hike, run, or a walk. 

I also love, love, love to sit along the river in the city I'm in and read. I try to take 30 minutes per day just to do that. 

50 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Reading, exercising, listening to the radio/Spotify, cleaning, having a drink (or two). I actually don't find gaming to be relaxing! It's enjoyable, but not something that helps me 'unwind'.

You should try playing Bejeweled because that relaxed me at least the infinite mode did. 

Martial arts would be my #1 and has been for about 10 years. That might sound...not relaxing...but I find it a very much needed break from modern life in general in many aspects. The demand for discipline, different social structure and so on really erase a shitty day's worries for me. 

After that, definitely reading. Now that the weather has turned, I love to lay in the grass at my local park and read. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

You must enjoy something in life that lets you chill

Nothing really lets me "chill".

As @Chris- correctly stated, practically everything that I do -- even for "recreation" -- has the purpose of maintaining my edge over any and all potential adversaries (which I define as anyone who is NOT me).

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

As @Chris- correctly stated, practically everything that I do -- even for "recreation" -- has the purpose of maintaining my edge over any and all potential adversaries (which I define as anyone who is NOT me).

You must be fun at parties 

17 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Inuk must help though right?