Death Stranding OT - Special Delivery, update - PC release on July 14 (Steam/EGS)

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I feel I'm about 10 hours or so in now. While I never found the delivery stuff amazing, it was fairly serene and satisfying. I could see myself doing that for a while and enjoying it.

And then the game starts to take a bat to your kneecaps every 10 steps. Constant interruptions and hassles and systems designed to make things as unpleasant as possible, and not in a fun, surprising way, just you rolling your eyes and saying "Not this shit again."

The BTs are completely unfun forced stealth/action sections, every time they show up you're treated to a six and a half hour long gameplay interruption of your little gizmo thing going nuts, right after the game slows down before that as a... warning or something I guess? That part alone is a slog, and you get the same thing when you exit BT territory, the game slows down and your flower ghost detector does a little celebratory thing that's cute maybe the first time it happens.

But when you're in that BT territory, it's not scary or tense or anything. It is those things very early on (the first cutscene does a far better job at selling BTs than any gameplay I've been through) and then it's just a hassle. Avoiding them is dead easy unless you're super low on stamina, in which case it's essentially impossible as you can't hold your breath long enough (maybe there's some pro strats I don't know about?) so you're super likely to get caught as BT territory feels damn near endless. So if you do get caught, there's a chance when they're trying to drag you down, even if you're successful at not getting dragged under, that parts of your cargo will fly off and take massive damage, meaning you'll have to escape the BT, then wait the tar pit to vanish, then go inside and get the cargo if you're unwilling to abandon it.

Then you get grenades that can handle the BTs, which should be empowering but is instead even more tedious. They take your blood, or blood from blood bags you have on you, which can cause issues in and of itself, but with how long they take to die and how many there are, it can take even longer to get through like this! You eventually learn to start pushing it and having those grenades ready to go at an instant, but you'd better not fucking miss. And it seems like some BTs take just one shot, while others take two? I might be wrong on at one and could just be wasting a grenade because they take SO long to die that I think they can't be dead yet.

The most "fun" I've had with this mechanic is when I get on my motorcycle and am successfully able to just blitz through without them catching me, using my roboflower to give me enough general guidance to avoid them... unless they're dead ahead. Then your motorcycle takes damage along with your cargo and it's just a really insufferable slog/mess.

That's not to mention the terrain that is clearly designed to be annoying in spots. Not just "this is handcrafted so you can't blow past it," but "this is the most irritating possible terrain we could've possibly imagined for your current kit." Yeah, you get tools and upgrades to make these insufferable things tolerable, but that's just it. What should be fun upgrades just kind of make things less irritating. At which point it's kind of just... boring? See, the thing about the delivery structure is that that sense of hiking and whatnot, at least for me, kind of wore off after a few hours. I'm struggling to imagine how I'm even going to fathom 40 more hours of this. And I usually don't force myself at all when I'm not having a good time, but I feel like I'm always just one or two steps away from having a good time.... but I never get there?

The structure building and ladder stuff is way less cool than I thought, every time I get to a spot where I'm like "fuck, made it up this weird mountain, let's pop a ladder and hit the top" I got some dumbass message about being outside the allowed construction zone. I turn around and face it the other way and it works just fine. So I don't know if ladder placement has rules I don't understand or what, but half the time I just can't place them where I want. Outside of prefab buildings and of course spots without enough physical space, I don't think there should be any building/placement limits. You can't even place structures too close to each other. Wouldn't it be dumb, inefficient, but potentially cool to put a few buildings side-to-side and use them as a sort of staircase/platform/spot to put a ladder and make a ramp for vehicles? Except it seems like even for the basic bike, a ladder doesn't serve as a viable platform, which I guess is to be expected, but still disappointing. Gimme a sandbox to go wild in! All these artificial limitations...

I'm already rambling too long, but this game really feels like fetch quest: the game, but instead of a normal fetch quest, someone's just fucking kicking you in the knees every couple of minutes to make sure you're not just having a pleasant, zen time. I get why, in terms of story, but I don't think that's a good excuse. Frankly if the game was one long seamless journey across Totally-America-Even-Though-It-Looks-Nothing-Like-America with maybe a couple delivery missions along the way, no combat, keep the Timefall but create more ways to deal with it, etc, have regular upgrades that make traversal really interesting when you get across more wild terrain, I think that would make a really solid 10-15 hour game. As it stands I have no idea what the goal or the point of this game is in terms of gameplay.

And don't get me started on the fucking story. It manages to simultaneously have some very bizarre and imaginative imagery while being utterly mundane in every way that matters, metaphors and allegories so surface-level the characters might as well be named the first 3 sentences of their bios. Unsubtle imagery and storytelling is one thing, Kojima then spending 45 minutes to tell you exactly what's going on, after you could tell what was going on going by the first fucking sentence that came out of someone's mouth, is just painful to the point of being unbearable. There's no filter, there was clearly no editor, no one to tell Kojima that you don't need a character to explain their motivations to you, and then follow that up with a codec conversation reiterating literally the exact same thing, followed by a multi-paragraph email detailing it further exactly the same, followed by an interview from 3 years ago that, just in case you missed it the first time, is here to finish the job and put the fucking "Did you get it?" bullet through your brain. Hope you like hearing 8 conversations about chiral being greek for hand and how your hands don't mirror each other perfectly if you face them away from yourself and put one on top of the other, despite being the same if you put them palm-to-palm.

Fuuuuuck man, I had hoped hearing all the negative stuff would set my expectations properly and allow me to sort of skirt by the parts that reviewers found boring, but it has only served to underscore just how boring they are. This is paragraph 36 and it still wouldn't equal half an average cutscene conversation in Death Stranding, all to say even less than I'm saying here. That's the problem, they spend hours saying ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

And the most ironic part is that the Fed Ex/walking simulator part of the game is the most interesting bit with the most potential, when it's not trying to poke you in the side with a thumb tack.

Star Citizen

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

For those playing, a helpful note: cargo can be auto-arranged in the menu, saves a lot of time and cargo management.

I use this every time before setting out on a delivery. I have no idea what’s the best way to carry stuff and maintaining balance

I didn't even mention inventory tetris, which we saw mentioned in a lot of reviews beforehand, specifically because of the auto-arrange feature. Why is there even an option to do it manually? Seems like optimize gets it right every time, kind of neutering the system but I guess it's one less thing to worry about. 

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

>people shitting on others for having negative opinions on a game they haven't played

>person then plays game and then expresses negative opinion

>LOL NOT GONNA READ

>NICE OPINION LOSER

I like the game. I enjoy playing it. I think the whole concept is cool af. I don’t have any problem with it.  
Am I required to read it?

Had a free Redbox rental and some time this weekend. I've played a few hours now, and it hasn't really grabbed me yet. No one aspect of the story or the gameplay is all that compelling to me yet. I'll keep playing tomorrow to see if it hooks me at all, but at this point it's feeling like a :shrug:

I've never played a Kojima game, and this doesnt sound great, but all the hoopla around it has peaked my interest.  

I'll pick it up on PC next year, as I never turn my PS4 on ever really, and when I do, it'll be to play all the exclusives I need to catch up on when PS5 releases.

10 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Frankly if the game was one long seamless journey across Totally-America-Even-Though-It-Looks-Nothing-Like-America with maybe a couple delivery missions along the way, no combat, keep the Timefall but create more ways to deal with it, etc, have regular upgrades that make traversal really interesting when you get across more wild terrain, I think that would make a really solid 10-15 hour game. As it stands I have no idea what the goal or the point of this game is in terms of gameplay.

Im going to keep watching user reactions to this game until it his PC next year, but this bit sounds like a game I'd totally be up for playing.

The Metacritic user reviews have been incredible to read. As expected they're all over the place, with extreme opinions being the norm, shit like this makes me chuckle, though:

g0Ox0zy.png

REDEFINE YOUR EXPECTATION OF WHAT GOOD IS, RETOOL YOUR IDEA OF FUN, TURN ON YOUR MATURITY SWITCH AND MAYBE YOU'LL COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE WITH A BIG DICK.

If this dude is astonished and intrigued by a fuckin' dude names Higgs who shows up and immediately starts talking about the god particle then I ain't gonna ruin his fun.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, johnny said:

You should all be preparing for Jedi fallen order 

I’m getting both games so..............yeah 🤷‍♀️

7 hours ago, Rachel said:

you know what? Screw you Johnny. 

This ^ but replace screw you with fuck you and now you got something special 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

The Metacritic user reviews have been incredible to read. As expected they're all over the place, with extreme opinions being the norm, shit like this makes me chuckle, though:

g0Ox0zy.png

REDEFINE YOUR EXPECTATION OF WHAT GOOD IS, RETOOL YOUR IDEA OF FUN, TURN ON YOUR MATURITY SWITCH AND MAYBE YOU'LL COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE WITH A BIG DICK.

If this dude is astonished and intrigued by a fuckin' dude names Higgs who shows up and immediately starts talking about the god particle then I ain't gonna ruin his fun.

I’m astonished and intrigued why you keep purchasing games that you know you won’t like. 

But hey I ain’t gonna ruin your fun.  :daydream:

Playing a little more, and I'm starting to think that this is the game I should be playing right now. Something is going on with my right hand (possibly some carpal tunnel issues) and it can be tough to use a gamepad for long periods. This game gives you a bunch of opportunities to put down the controller and just watch some bullshit. 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Playing a little more, and I'm starting to think that this is the game I should be playing right now. Something is going on with my right hand (possibly some carpal tunnel issues) and it can be tough to use a gamepad for long periods. This game gives you a bunch of opportunities to put down the controller and just watch some bullshit. 

Really?  The constant pressing of left/right triggers to maintain balance wouldn’t bother your hand condition?  We must not be playing the same game. 

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Really?  The constant pressing of left/right triggers to maintain balance wouldn’t bother your hand condition?  We must not be playing the same game. 

I'm pretty obviously referring to the cutscenes and dialog dumps where you aren't doing anything. Maybe those slow down after a while (I just started episode 3), but up until this point there's been a lot of that. 

On 11/4/2019 at 3:41 AM, fuckle85 said:

Question for anyone making the "not gonna play Death Stranding because the gameplay doesn't look fun" argument : What's your take on PT, Silent Hill 2, Grim Fandango, Killer 7, The Last Guardian and anything else loved for the story and creativity despite (arguably) bad and/or unfun gameplay?  Assuming DS at least meets expectations with its story and presentation and the gameplay, gran turismo of walking sims it may be, is crafted well enough to do it justice, does it still mean the experience as a whole can't be engaging enough to be worth playing?

The fact that I've only played ONE of these games (Silent Hill 2) and had little to no interest to try the others despite their fans says something about me I guess... Unlike a lot of gamers, I DON'T play games for "story" because I personally feel that videogames still haven't mastered the art of clear, nuanced storytelling just yet. Have there been games with good, if not great stories that I've loved? Yes but those games were almost always complimented by gameplay mechanics that were just as good if not better than the story they were telling. At the very least the worlds that the games took place in immersed me so much that the story becomes secondary to just spending time in the world doing stuff. What those games REALLY succeeded at for me was making me FEEL like I was the character in the game and was actually PART of the story and not a disembodied observer.

Gaming for me has always been about DOING not watching or observing. That's what books, movies and TV shows are for and all are inherently better storytelling vehicles than games are. It's also why most of the most popular games today have little to no story at all because that's not what games priority should be. It's also why both Koijma and David Gage should just go ahead and make the crappy movies they are dying to make and get it out of their system so they can focus on making games.  I know there's a generation of gamers who do value story in their games... so much that they would suffer through bland or dull gameplay to experience what ultimately ends up being a mediocre story. I'm not one of those gamers :shrug:

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I'm pretty obviously referring to the cutscenes and dialog dumps where you aren't doing anything. Maybe those slow down after a while (I just started episode 3), but up until this point there's been a lot of that. 

I think you and others are exaggerating when it comes to the length and frequency of these cutscenes. This game is nothing compared to the MGS cutscenes. 

35 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I think you and others are exaggerating when it comes to the length and frequency of these cutscenes. This game is nothing compared to the MGS cutscenes. 

Well sure, they don't compare to the longest cutscenes in history. And maybe it's just been a while since I've played a game like this, so I'm not used to cutscenes in general. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I'm not sure what the actual run times of these cutscenes are, but since they spend the majority of their screen time spinning their wheels on absolutely nothing, the relative time dilation ages me by several weeks every time I see one.

Actually...

9 hours and 20 minutes, which is nearly 1/5th of the 50 hours that is Death Stranding. Just slightly shorter than watching all 3 LotR movies!

• Haha 1

You guys must be rushing through the game quite quickly - I'm 6 hours in and only just finished episode 2. I'm playing on hard, not sure if that changes anything. I bothered to level up Capital Knot City to 5 star connectedness and same with the first Waystation before pushing forward. You're supposed to go pick up packages and do other things than just bulldozing through the story forward between and during episodes I think. I imagine it does feel like a lot of cutscenes playing that way, which makes sense. :)

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You guys must be rushing through the game quite quickly - I'm 6 hours in and only just finished episode 2. I'm playing on hard, not sure if that changes anything. I bothered to level up Capital Knot City to 5 star connectedness and same with the first Waystation before pushing forward. You're supposed to go pick up packages and do other things than just bulldozing through the story forward between and during episodes I think. I imagine it does feel like a lot of cutscenes playing that way, which makes sense. :)

Interesting that you posted this given that this post from someone who loves the game and reviewed it pretty highly says the exact opposite.

I’ve already laid out some Death Stranding tips alongside my coworker Tim Rogers. Travel light; build structures in smart places; have an extra pair of shoes. One tip stands above them all, though: Do not get sidetracked at the start of the game. Death Stranding drops players into a large world to complete tons of deliveries, difficult affairs where you trek through ghost-infested territory and cross raging rivers. Just like you shouldn’t mess around too long in Dragon Age: Inquisition’s Hinterlands, you really should complete Death Stranding’s first two chapters quickly.

There are two types of missions in Death Stranding: Sam’s deliveries and standard deliveries. Completing the former progresses the story; the latter help expand the world and sometimes grant useful items. In the game’s first two chapters, you don’t have a lot of tools, and things can feel slow. It’s important to push through that at a fast pace. Once you reach chapter three, Death Stranding breaks open and really starts to take off. Until that point, you should focus exclusively on the main story.

Not saying you're wrong, it's just interesting to see the different opinions and reactions people are having even amongst people who are enjoying it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Interesting that you posted this given that this post from someone who loves the game and reviewed it pretty highly says the exact opposite.

Not saying you're wrong, it's just interesting to see the different opinions and reactions people are having even amongst people who are enjoying it.

I think their criticism is valid that it would feel like a lot of cut scenes if you're just going from main story quest to main story quest so I agree with all of ya. I meant that I am playing differently so I didn't experience that yet, but not that they were wrong in terms of the way they are playing (just to be clear heh). The game let's you go from main story mission to main story mission, so presumably it's one way the game was meant to be played, so that's on the game. But doing the side quests helped me a lot once I got back to the main story missions/episodes so I do recommend people do that. It also helps acclimate you to a very unique and sensitive control scheme.

I've done some side missions (the ones for "general porters" or whatever). I picked up some cargo dropped by other players and delivered it back to the Capitol Knot. I didn't do too much of that because retracing your steps between established points is not at all interesting to me. I enjoy the pathfinding required to reach a new spot, and I suppose there is some of that if you want to try to find more optimal routes between points, but that's not nearly as fun for me.

I checked my latest save, and at 6 and a half hours in, I just reached a

Spoiler

ship with Fragile

. Don't know how that compares to the average. 

Supposedly there's a 2 hour cinematic in Death Stranding lol. It almost feels like Kojima went all in to make up of for a lack of them in MGSV. And THAT game almost felt like a reaction to the critics who said he relied too much on cinematics to make his work entertaining haha.  Nobody trolls their fans and critics like Kojima does.

On 11/10/2019 at 9:38 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

The fact that I've only played ONE of these games (Silent Hill 2) and had little to no interest to try the others despite their fans says something about me I guess... Unlike a lot of gamers, I DON'T play games for "story" because I personally feel that videogames still haven't mastered the art of clear, nuanced storytelling just yet. Have there been games with good, if not great stories that I've loved? Yes but those games were almost always complimented by gameplay mechanics that were just as good if not better than the story they were telling. At the very least the worlds that the games took place in immersed me so much that the story becomes secondary to just spending time in the world doing stuff. What those games REALLY succeeded at for me was making me FELL like I was the character in the game and was actually PART of the story and not a disembodied observer.

Gaming for me has always been about DOING not watching or observing. That's what books, movies and TV shows are for and all are inherently better storytelling vehicles than games are. It's also why most of the most popular games today have little to no story at all because that's not what games priority should be. It's also why both Koijma and David Gage should just go ahead and make the crappy movies they are dying to make and get it out of their system so they can focus on making games.  I know there's a generation of gamers who do value story in their games... so much that they would suffer through bland or dull gameplay to experience what ultimately ends up being a mediocre story. I'm not one of those gamers :shrug:

Would you say this is because you feel video games are moving towards more emergent narrative design to increase emotional engagement during gameplay instead of disrupting the flow of it with exposition and cinematics, and you enjoy that more? Showing story and evoking emotion vs telling/explaining it, etc.  But also that interactive media, arguably more than any visual medium, is still highly versatile and allows for good art to be made hundreds of ways, be it emergent gameplay and narrative, use of long cut scenes and lots of writing, games where you control the movements of a character and interact with the world, games that are live action choose your own adventure movies, use text and still pictures instead of moving visuals, heavy story or even no story, single player, competitive, sidescrolling, 3d, 8-bit, photorealistic, abstracted, etc?

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm not sure what the actual run times of these cutscenes are, but since they spend the majority of their screen time spinning their wheels on absolutely nothing, the relative time dilation ages me by several weeks every time I see one.

Actually...

9 hours and 20 minutes, which is nearly 1/5th of the 50 hours that is Death Stranding. Just slightly shorter than watching all 3 LotR movies!

Okay and?  When random cutscenes are 9 hours of 50 hours of gameplay I don’t see that as a problem or negative. 

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Okay and?  When random cutscenes are 9 hours of 50 hours of gameplay I don’t see that as a problem or negative. 

Just have the fuckin' argument with yourself if you're just going to flail around wildly and say completely contradicting things every other sentence.

Also, MGS4  is about 8 and a half hours of cutscenes, so...

28 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

Would you say this is because you feel video games are moving towards more emergent narrative design to increase emotional engagement during gameplay instead of disrupting the flow of it with exposition and cinematics, and you enjoy that more?  Showing story and evoking emotion vs telling/explaining it, etc.  But also that interactive media, arguably more than any visual medium, is highly versatile and allows for good art to be made hundreds of ways, be it emergent gameplay and narrative, use of long cut scenes and lots of writing, games where you control the movements of a character and interact with the world, games that are live action choose your own adventure movies, use text and still pictures instead of moving visuals, heavy story or even no story, single player, competitive, sidescrolling, 3d, 8-bit, photorealistic, abstracted, etc?

There's like at least two different questions in here I think, but basically I think you're getting at where I'm coming from. Because of the immersive nature of videogames and the interactivity, I don't think games should necessarily be trying to emulate movies and books when it comes to story telling. That's not to say they can't and some have done so very well. But I think where games can succeed narratively is in playing to their strengths. It basically boils down to gaming being an active medium and reading and watching films are generally passive. The lines can blur... I've seen some VR narratives that are primarily passive but because of the nature of VR, they bear repeat viewing because you can miss some things that you didn't see upon the first viewing because you weren't looking in the direction of a particular action the first time you saw it. So that's a way to take a traditional narrative and make it somewhat more active and even INTERACTIVE.

The big issue is that most game narratives just are NOT that good although this gen, they've DEFINITELY gotten better with games like The Witcher, Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Spiderman and others have very well done stories that rival anything seen on the big an small screen. Hell I was even into Control's narrative, a game that does avant garde weirdness better than anything I've ever seen from Kojima or Gage. 

Storytelling CAN be good if not great in games but only if they stop trying to emulate what works in movies and play to the medium's strengths. That means if you're gonna use long assed cut scenes, at LEAST make them somewhat interactive if they'r not gonna be well written. My two cents anyway.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Just have the fuckin' argument with yourself if you're just going to flail around wildly and say completely contradicting things every other sentence.

Also, MGS4  is about 8 and a half hours of cutscenes, so...

He really didn't? He said length and frequency, and there's a difference between 9 hours in a 15 hour game (where half the playtime could be cutscenes) versus a game that some took 75 hours to beat, which makes the frequency far less.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

He really didn't? He said length and frequency, and there's a difference between 9 hours in a 15 hour game (where half the playtime could be cutscenes) versus a game that some took 75 hours to beat, which makes the frequency far less.

Sure, fair enough, except one second of Death Stranding cutscene time is equal to 35 minutes of MGS cutscene time. The cutscenes all feel much longer and much more frequent because nothing happens and no one says anything and they go on for fucking EVER, not to mention all the cutscenes you need to skip doing basic things like going into a private room to rest, which you need to do frequently. 

An MGS cutscene is like a reward for dealing with the gameplay. A Death Stranding cutscene is like punishment for being dumb enough to keep playing. Hit me again, Kojima.

Did I mention Death Stranding likes to repeat scenes you've already viewed and expand on them by about 2 seconds, making you watch the entire thing again to see just a tiny bit more but not in a cool way? Like, nothing's being revealed. They just chopped up the cutscene (like Sam and his sister on the beach) and then present it to you a few seconds at a time. Also the BB cutscenes seem to repeat sometimes? Which is a REAL bummer since those are the only ones I kind of like and you usually can't tell if it's a repeat or not for several seconds, and even if you think it is, you have to worry if it's one of those scenes that repeats but has a few extra seconds on it. The game just demands you waste your time every moment control is taken away. And, again, I cannot stress this enough, it's for nothing. These characters have jack shit to say and they're boring as hell as they say it, nothing interesting happens during any cutscene I've witnessed because it seems like they're low budget.

Almost 10 hours of that, just imagine. 10 hours of boring shit. I think MGS is one of the dumbest series ever made but I would never criticize the story as boring. At least a bunch of wacky anime shit happens. Don't get me wrong, you still get weird anime shit here, but it's not as cool or as energetic or as interesting. Someone will use a weird power and then spend a year explaining it to you as they continuously try to touch Sam or get close to him as he awkwardly pulls away. You can practically write every scene by seeing the first 10 seconds. Arrrrrrrgh.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Sure, fair enough, except one second of Death Stranding cutscene time is equal to 35 minutes of MGS cutscene time. The cutscenes all feel much longer and much more frequent because nothing happens and no one says anything and they go on for fucking EVER, not to mention all the cutscenes you need to skip doing basic things like going into a private room to rest, which you need to do frequently. 

An MGS cutscene is like a reward for dealing with the gameplay. A Death Stranding cutscene is like punishment for being dumb enough to keep playing. Hit me again, Kojima.

I lol'd but you really don't have anyone to blame but yourself... you WERE warned :p

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I lol'd but you really don't have anyone to blame but yourself... you WERE warned :p

Well, the really unfortunate part is the part I thought I'd like in this game I really do like... it's just that it's buried under an avalanche of bizarre garbage. Kojima had an idea for a tasty sandwich, got halfway through making it and then dipped it in week old dishwater. There's something cool in Death Stranding, I really want to play the game that's almost there.

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Did I mention Death Stranding likes to repeat scenes you've already viewed and expand on them by about 2 seconds, making you watch the entire thing again to see just a tiny bit more but not in a cool way? Like, nothing's being revealed. They just chopped up the cutscene (like Sam and his sister on the beach) and then present it to you a few seconds at a time. Also the BB cutscenes seem to repeat sometimes? Which is a REAL bummer since those are the only ones I kind of like and you usually can't tell if it's a repeat or not for several seconds, and even if you think it is, you have to worry if it's one of those scenes that repeats but has a few extra seconds on it. The game just demands you waste your time every moment control is taken away. And, again, I cannot stress this enough, it's for nothing. These characters have jack shit to say and they're boring as hell as they say it, nothing interesting happens during any cutscene I've witnessed because it seems like they're low budget.

Almost 10 hours of that, just imagine. 10 hours of boring shit. I think MGS is one of the dumbest series ever made but I would never criticize the story as boring. At least a bunch of wacky anime shit happens. Don't get me wrong, you still get weird anime shit here, but it's not as cool or as energetic or as interesting. Someone will use a weird power and then spend a year explaining it to you as they continuously try to touch Sam or get close to him as he awkwardly pulls away. You can practically write every scene by seeing the first 10 seconds. Arrrrrrrgh.

Well, I have much more to go, so I'll see if the cutscenes strike me as they did you. :lol: