Death Stranding OT - Special Delivery, update - PC release on July 14 (Steam/EGS)

Keyser_Soze

37 minutes ago, Brick said:

I think it's about time we actually learn what this game is about. 

Or would be nice, although that sense of unknowing is the only thing driving my anticipation.  I’m half tempted to just stop looking at any media for the game, check the general consensus at release and go in blind.

I'm confused by the general reaction to this. While it doesn't show how the game plays, it definitely shows more of what you're going to be doing in the game. This trailer is pretty concretely a lead-in to a sequence where you run/hide from a dog-like monster, a thing you've done countless times in videogames before.  It isn't weird or confusing in any way. I get that it is annoying that this game continues to be vaporware. I personally have gone from excited, to frustrated, to having completely forgotten this game exists, but the whole "what even is this game" makes no sense to me. It's a third-person action stealth game from Hideo Kojima that is going to be similar to those other games he made. You don't need to go through an ARG to figure out what was always obvious.

47 minutes ago, Moa said:

I'm confused by the general reaction to this. While it doesn't show how the game plays, it definitely shows more of what you're going to be doing in the game. This trailer is pretty concretely a lead-in to a sequence where you run/hide from a dog-like monster, a thing you've done countless times in videogames before.  It isn't weird or confusing in any way. I get that it is annoying that this game continues to be vaporware. I personally have gone from excited, to frustrated, to having completely forgotten this game exists, but the whole "what even is this game" makes no sense to me. It's a third-person action stealth game from Hideo Kojima that is going to be similar to those other games he made. You don't need to go through an ARG to figure out what was always obvious.

People aren't confused about the very basic notion of what you'll be doing in this game, although being weird and coy about it certainly isn't doing Kojima any favors.  People are more confused about what in the blue hell any of this is about and in a larger sense why they should care.  I don't need to see a bunch of weird outlandish shit to get interested in a game, I need to see why I want to actually get this in my hands as opposed to watching a supercut on youtube and saving $60.  The special Kojima sauce is something that makes great gameplay even better, it's not enough to slog through a mediocre game for, so I need to see where the rubber meets the road on this before I'm going to commit, and showing my a bunch of barely related mind fuckery aint gonna do it.

The point of these videos is not to tell you the specifics. When they want to show you the specifics they will. This will likely happen between now and when the game comes out.  The point of these trailers is not to sell you the game. When they want to sell you the game they will show you what you want, but for now they just want to remind you that it exists and get you talking about it again.

Please forgive the truisms, but it seems like between this and Cyberpunk 2077 everyone has forgotten what a development cycle looks like.

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, Kojima teases people.

• 1 month later...

https://wccftech.com/death-stranding-polishing-phase/

Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun recently had the chance to talk with Hideo Kojima back in September. According to the report, the game apparently reached the polishing phase, with Hideo Kojima playing through the game and suggesting improvements. All gameplay elements have also been put together, and have been so since last Summer.

A verified user on Reset says it's being localized.

It's currently being localized, so I imagine it's going to release in 2019.

Nah, people I work with already started on it, I will be joining them later this month.

Mind you, I have no information concerning the actual release date, I just know the localization has started. Games are very rarely localized earlier than a year before release, barring delays.

For example, I started on Days Gone last January, but the game was postponed, so Death Stranding might be 12-14 months away from now.

10 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

As someone who has no experience in this sort of thing, how is it being localized now?  Every demo they've shown has been entirely in english and most of the primary cast they've shown doesn't speak Japanese.  It seems like the kind of thing that would have to done simultaneously.  

English isn’t the only language the game needs to support. 

22 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

As someone who has no experience in this sort of thing, how is it being localized now?  Every demo they've shown has been entirely in english and most of the primary cast they've shown doesn't speak Japanese.  It seems like the kind of thing that would have to done simultaneously.  

What Mike said. I'll pull some more quotes from the insider as he does work in localization. It won't answer your question (Mike already did), but it'll give more info on how localization works.

Other info from the localizing insider:

Nah, people I work with already started on it, I will be joining them later this month.

Mind you, I have no information concerning the actual release date, I just know the localization has started. Games are very rarely localized earlier than a year before release, barring delays.

For example, I started on Days Gone last January, but the game was postponed, so Death Stranding might be 12-14 months away from now.

Edit: "last January" was Jan 2018, it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet, apologies

On knowing the story for games before they're released:

-It is very shitty. I recently finished working on a major upcoming game I was excited to play, and I know the entire story by heart by now. But hey, it pays the bills.

-Yep. The last translation batch contained the list of on-screen objectives from start to finish, so I don't only know the general story beats, but all the exact tasks you need to do throughout the entire game.

Safe to say I'm not going to play this for the story anymore :)

-Yeah, I like it very much, I think the game will be pretty great.

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

Cool. Now can we learn what the fuck it's about? 

Haha that would be nice.  I'm also curious about the length of the game.  At some point I think I read its an open world game.  From what little I've seen of the game i wouldn't be surprised if it came out and its like a 5-6 hour game + hours of nonsense.

19 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I honestly did not expect to see this in another 3-4 years. It looked like it was basically a concept even in their trailers.

Nah, man, I fully expected to see this in 2019 or 2020. I remember actually being pleasantly surprised by MGSV: TPP releasing in 2015 since the talk of how huge it was made me think it would release in 2016 or 2017, and word has been that Death Stranding's development has gone smoothly and quicker than expected.

I'm highly curious and a little excited about this game actually. I can't see Kojima coming with some lackluster gameplay based on his track record and say what you will about many aspects of MGSV, that core gameplay is some of the best controlling and playing shit ever conceived. 

Based on that, I'm seriously curious to see what this will entail moment-to-moment gameplay wise. Let's see.

For anyone wondering, here's what this resetera poster has said about Days Gone:

I'm working on Days Gone translation and based on what I saw, it's going to be good. 
Despite bikers and zombies not really being my thing.

Story in Days Gone is pretty good, trust me.

I actually think the story is one of the best aspects of Days Gone :)