Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Keyser_Soze

General Gaming Death Stranding OT - Special Delivery, update - PC release on July 14 (Steam/EGS)

Recommended Posts

I'm totally fine with encumbrance as long as it serves a purpose. I feel like in most open world games the only purpose seems to be "so you can't hold all the items," but not much beyond that. This at least seems to add some (literal) weight to the concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about, the more this seems like the perfect game to play if you're forced to lie in bed for several weeks and you play it whilst watching a series on Netflix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of those reviews read like the people didn't really enjoy the game, but are afraid to rate it low because then they'll have to hand over their Kojima fan club membership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Most of those reviews read like the people didn't really enjoy the game, but are afraid to rate it low because then they'll have to hand over their Kojima fan club membership.

Agreed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe having to shake a baby wailing controller consistently is actually a mechanic anyone thought was fun to include in a video game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bloodporne said:

I can't believe having to shake a baby wailing controller consistently is actually a mechanic anyone thought was fun to include in a video game.

 

This is Kojima without checks and balances :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember where saw it, but someone said that people who like Minecraft are more likely to enjoy this game over others. I am not a person who likes Minecraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

I read somewhere that the ending cutscene is two hours long.

 

That can't be true...

You're right. 2 hours is pretty short. He's been bottling this shit up for years. I expect at least 6 hours and then e-tickets to a theater performance explaining the more esoteric details in my local area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy Allies: the game wants you to be bored! It’s super easy to be critical of Death Stranding, but it’s better to find reasons to like it! 8/10

 

... wut? Is “Kojima Syndrome” a real thing? They were saying things that made it sound like it should be in the mid-6 range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my roommate from college is in town this week with a review copy and we just breezed through a seven hour chunk of it. All I'll say right now is Death Stranding is pretty fucking bonkers, but not nearly as bonky as a lot of reviews made it seem.  It'll take a minute to grind through that slog of an opening act, but then you start getting the weapons, gadgets, upgrades, vehicles, etc.  The reviews are kinda misleading, honestly: pretty certain MGS fans are gonna adore this game to death so if you're huge into that series definitely pre-order it soon or buy it on release week, then sit back and relax while letting the gorgeous imagery, brilliant cinematics and engaging gameplay wash over you for 40 hours.  This will easily be a GOTG contender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancelled my pre-order. Probably wait and see if it has a sale for Black Friday. Otherwise I’ll wait until it drops below $40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Easy Allies: the game wants you to be bored! It’s super easy to be critical of Death Stranding, but it’s better to find reasons to like it! 8/10

 

... wut? Is “Kojima Syndrome” a real thing? They were saying things that made it sound like it should be in the mid-6 range

My exact thoughts when watching that review. 
 

11 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Cancelled my pre-order. Probably wait and see if it has a sale for Black Friday. Otherwise I’ll wait until it drops below $40

 
did the same thing. Depending on how it sells, this could easily be $40 or less on Black Friday/cyber Monday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

So my roommate from college is in town this week with a review copy and we just breezed through a seven hour chunk of it. All I'll say right now is Death Stranding is pretty fucking bonkers, but not nearly as bonky as a lot of reviews made it seem.  It'll take a minute to grind through that slog of an opening act, but then you start getting the weapons, gadgets, upgrades, vehicles, etc.  The reviews are kinda misleading, honestly: pretty certain MGS fans are gonna adore this game to death so if you're huge into that series definitely pre-order it soon or buy it on release week, then sit back and relax while letting the gorgeous imagery, brilliant cinematics and engaging gameplay wash over you for 40 hours.  This will easily be a GOTG contender.

Right now it's a RDBX contender for me.

 

Sounds disappointing as fuck overall and and I find it even weirder and more irritating that somehow half the impressions seem to have wildly differing takes on the quality of its gameplay.

 

I've read a lot of reviews and I haven't once seen anyone mention MGS in any other way than 'this is the total opposite'. What makes it exciting for MGS fans in your experience, can you elaborate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, atom631 said:

My exact thoughts when watching that review. 
 

 
did the same thing. Depending on how it sells, this could easily be $40 or less on Black Friday/cyber Monday. 

 

I’m definitely still playing it and giving it a chance, but, seriously, the score given in a lot of these reviews do not seem to match the content within the review. It’s just... odd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Right now it's a RDBX contender for me.

 

Sounds disappointing as fuck overall and and I find it even weirder and more irritating that somehow half the impressions seem to have wildly differing takes on the quality of its gameplay.

 

I've read a lot of reviews and I haven't once seen anyone mention MGS in any other way than 'this is the total opposite'. What makes it exciting for MGS fans in your experience, can you elaborate?

Not a single second of gameplay footage has looked even remotely interesting in terms of combat or sneaking, so I have no idea what the fuck that dude is smoking. Reviews consistently say to NOT expect it to be like MGS. The combat looks borderline atrocious, and the gameplay core seems to be terrain traversal, which is the complete opposite of MGS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

 

I’m definitely still playing it and giving it a chance, but, seriously, the score given in a lot of these reviews do not seem to match the content within the review. It’s just... odd

I’ll definitely grab it eventually to see for myself, but a day one purchase this game is not. There’s just too much other stuff to play right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Easy Allies: the game wants you to be bored! It’s super easy to be critical of Death Stranding, but it’s better to find reasons to like it! 8/10

 

... wut? Is “Kojima Syndrome” a real thing? They were saying things that made it sound like it should be in the mid-6 range

 

Yes it is. That was apparent to me after MGS4. It;s been downhill since then as far as I'm concerned... which is crazy to me because Snake Eater is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

 

Yes it is. That was apparent to me after MGS4. It;s been downhill since then as far as I'm concerned... which is crazy to me because Snake Eater is amazing.

 

I loved MGS4 :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reception to this game is a great example of how videogames are still a nascent artform.  Games media still generally lacks the ability to critically evaluate games that don't fit into pre-existing genres and that lack strong comparisons to other games.  So, when games take huge swings (for better or worse) we rarely get an articulate consensus on their merits or shortcomings.  Coverage has definitely evolved from the days of the magazine (was it GamePro?) that scored things on "sound", "fun factor", etc, but I still think there is a ways to go, mostly because of how derivative and similar most games are.

 

This doesn't look interesting or all that fun to me, but I'm happy that such a strange game was made in the AAA space.  Even if it falters, it's likely to be more interesting that lots of other modern games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fucking Kojima game. If you like Kojma games, you'll love this game. If you don't, then you won't. It's literally as simple as that. For me, I'm glad we're getting Kojima going full Kojima. I'm shocked people even need reviews. Do you like Kojima? Play the game. Do you not? Don't, and go play The Witcher 3 or any number of other games that aren't like Kojima.

 

There's plenty of other games out there for those who want something more traditional or simple or easy or whatever. But there's only one Kojima, and as a fan of literally all of his other games, I'd prefer an ambitious game whose reach exceeds its grasp than just another standardized AAA game. 

 

Kojima watering himself down just to make a more accessible game for the masses is boring as fuck. Let him be weird, even counter intuitively so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What drags down any hope of the game for me was listening to the Beastcast and they made the point that after playing the 50-60 hour campaign, the game really didn't have anything interesting to say by the end.  

 

This game will definitely be on sale for Black Friday. The newest Call of Duty games go on sale for like $45 usually so I would guess Death Stranding to be about that. Because it is so weird, I kind of want to play it just to experience whatever it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...