Rumor: Ubisoft will announce its own Game Pass

Brian

Called this almost a year ago.

I think we've already seen publishers gearing up for future "all you can eat" packages.  EA will inevitably be on that from the very start, especially when they just added a higher subscription tier to Origin Access on PC.

I imagine we'll see Ubisoft follow suit next.  It's a perfect fit for the GaaS model they adore.

52 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I had a feeling this would happen. Every big publisher is going to want their own subscription service. But of course even this won’t stop micro transactions. 

It'll only encourage them.  But that's the nature of where gaming is headed. 

The industry's got an eye on the Battle Royale craze right now, and how disruptive F2P has been for it.  Major publishers are struggling to compete for gamers' time with straight up purchases.  But if they manage to convince everyone that these subscriptions are worth it, that revenue could easily stack with Fortnite-styled Battle Passes.  That would be a game changer for everything $60 retail GaaS games have been building towards, and also whatever streaming options they're looking to dip their toes into.

I could even see a future where F2P itself falls out of fashion and pay-to-access becomes the forefront trend.  If Epic, Riot, Valve, etc ever change their tune, we're in for a bumpy ride.  Like with online fees on consoles, they could charge us just because they can and its the popular thing to do.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like these services. EA Premier has saved me a ton of $$. I sign up for a month, binge-play the games I want to play and then cancel. So instead of ~$50 for a new game I pay $15, play it, finish it, then cancel the service. It's also nice to try out  super media hyped games that release with mixed reviews (Anthem) without shelling out. 

1 minute ago, Dexterryu said:

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like these services. EA Premier has saved me a ton of $$. I sign up for a month, binge-play the games I want to play and then cancel. So instead of ~$50 for a new game I pay $15, play it, finish it, then cancel the service. It's also nice to try out  super media hyped games that release with mixed reviews (Anthem) without shelling out. 

So far, for me and my buying habits, they have been a good deal! I usually buy 2-3 games a year from each of the big publishers so I've actually "saved" about 60 dollars per provider of such a service. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So far, for me and my buying habits, they have been a good deal! I usually buy 2-3 games a year from each of the big publishers so I've actually "saved" about 60 dollars per provider of such a service. 

Agree... and I'm not even talking about the $99 annual deal which I think is pretty solid for gamers that are definitely buying more than 1 of their games. Sales aside, if you play 2 of their full priced games you've broken even on that deal.

EA's is priced fairly well, though i'm sure we're due for an increase.

The discounts on games, ability to try all the game releases and some of the backlog titles has been nice.

Could be good for Ubi if they do it right.