Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) OT - Going Dark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s Gunfight is my dream game mode (PCGamesN)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s Gunfight is the kind of game mode I didn’t know I wanted until I sat down and played it. The rules are simple: two teams with two players each attempt to wipe each other out to win a round, first team to claim six rounds wins the match. If nobody is killed within 40 seconds a neutral flag spawns, forcing both teams into the centre of the map.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s new 2v2 mode is an antidote to battle royale fatigue (Polygon)

Developer Infinity Ward likened Gunfight to Call of Duty’s take on Street Fighter. It’s not a perfect analogy (2v2 fighting games aren’t too common in the West), but the short, round-based action and the reactive, mind-game strategies required to compete in a fighting game seem applicable to how Gunfight is played.

• 3 weeks later...

Preview articles

Modern Warfare multiplayer takes inspiration from Time Crisis for a much more deliberate shooter (PC Gamer)

It almost feels like a cliche to say it, but for better or worse, Modern Warfare is still a Call of Duty game. That said, this is the first Call of Duty in a long while that’s felt like something structurally and stylistically up my alley. Rather than chasing another trend in battle royale, Modern Warfare seems glad to reinvent itself just enough to bring in players who prefer a more moderately paced, less twitchy controls that will hopefully bring in a fresh wave of players who perhaps gravitated towards shooters with more deliberate pacing.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s multiplayer hunkers down on what makes the original great (PCGamesN)

Despite being billed as a reimagining of the original Modern Warfare, there are plenty of improvements that this game can call its own. Gun Fight delivers moments of tension and individual heroism that deathmatch, with its quick respawns and low stakes, has always lacked, and small tweaks to audio and traversal make Call of Duty feel smoother than ever. More importantly, the inspiration driving all these changes feels like it comes inwardly from what we’ve always enjoyed about the series. Like comfort food made with alternative ingredients (and, er, riddled with bullets) it all makes for a fun, fresh, yet reassuringly familiar experience.

The New Call Of Duty's Breezy Multiplayer Feels At Odds With Its Gritty Campaign (Kotaku)

Realism, too, is a bigger priority than ever for the multiplayer team, with members going on at length during a pre-demo presentation about how they’ve scanned countless real-world objects into the game and created replicas in the name of making everything look, feel, and sound as tactile as possible. But the ramifications of all this realism is campaign-only for now. “All the civilian stuff is kinda more over here in the narrative world,” said Emslie. “I don’t think it was ever a big goal for the multiplayer team [to incorporate the campaign’s ideas].”

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s multiplayer is stripped down and blown up (Polygon)

The ultimate goal is to add depth and replayability to every firefight, but a couple of hours of hands-on time isn’t enough to fully evaluate Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s long-term potential. From what we can tell, though, the multiplayer experience does achieve some of its other goals, such as allowing for different play styles and challenging players’ way of thinking about the franchise. This is most apparent in Gunfight, but you can see it in larger matches too; the level design really makes you think about where you’re going to go and what you’re going to do when you get there. As for its “depth and replayability,” you can decide that for yourself when Call of Duty: Modern Warfare launches on Oct. 25. 

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare multiplayer feels fantastic - but there's cause for concern (Eurogamer)

In its pursuit of hashtag gritty realism, Infinity Ward has created maps packed with rubble and... well... it's all a bit bland. At least, the maps I played on all seemed to blur into a grey fudge. There's a sense of Call of Duty coming full circle here, I think. I remember the common criticism of the series back on Xbox 360 included the brown smudge slur, and in tapping into nostalgia for Modern Warfare, well, here we are again. But I've only seen a snapshot of the game. I hope there's more variety to this Call of Duty's palette.

The Pros and Cons of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare's Battlefield-Style Maps and Player Counts (USgamer)

The strangest thing of all: I'm still not sure if it really feels like Call of Duty, even with the quicker runtimes of matches that's always been a draw for me. The gameplay itself feels more laborious, which I imagine will be polarizing for some annual fans. And while its single-player campaign wants to tackle the ambiguous gray area of right and wrong in war, its multiplayer on the other end has a Killstreak where you can rain Willie Pete over the other players who might teabag you in death. It's a palpable dissonance that feels greater than past Call of Duty games, even as its multiplayer team emphasizes the realism of its gunplay, of its graphics, of its character factions that are based on real-world groups, of its shiny new night vision goggles.

Inside Modern Warfare's Push to Rebuild Call of Duty's Multiplayer From the Ground Up (USgamer)

Animation director Mark Grigsby and multiplayer design director Geoffrey Smith break down the huge overhauls in Modern Warfare.

COD Modern Warfare 2019 uses darkness, recoil, and ATVs to inject new life into the FPS (VG247)

After a few hours playing it, I’ve come to think of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s multiplayer as a straightening out of the whole series. For a few years now it’s felt felt like the series has been playing catch up with other shooters – first it was Titanfall, then Overwatch, and more recently Fortnite. Modern Warfare feels like an effort to reinstate what drew fans to the games in the first place, and then punch it up. That works for me.

Modern Warfare has a stripped back multiplayer that feels more accessible and fun than Call of Duty has been in years (GamesRadar+)

After years of changes, updates and slight variations on a now familiar theme, Call of Duty's multiplayer has built up a fair bit of baggage and noise. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare feels like it's cleared all that away with a stripped back setup, clear rules and customisation options that feels more inclusive to anyone that isn't the fastest twitch-trigger in the lobby. Where previous Call of Duty games became an online haven for sprinting no-scoping lone wolves, Modern Warfare feels more like a game that everyone can enjoy, using its gear, maps, and new larger player counts to give everyone a meaningful place on the battlefield. 

Watch five new Call of Duty Modern Warfare maps in action, and see all the confirmed maps so far (GamesRadar+)

You can now see five new Modern Warfare multiplayer maps in action following the recent all of Duty: Modern Warfare mutiplayer reveal. The new Modern Warfare maps are Gun Runner, Hackney Yard, Azhir Cave, Grazna raid and Aniyah Palace. These are a range of sizes from small and medium sized maps for 12 players to the new larger scale levels designed for 10z10 and 20v20 matches. These join the previously revealed Gunfight maps designed for 2v2 play. 

Watch the first Modern Warfare Multiplayer gameplay and see a new 20v20 game in action (GamesRadar+)

As you can see this is large map, with five Domination points to control. With a team and area this big it means you can effectively have more than one game happening at once as groups split off to fight and control different areas. It's a good idea to have a loadout to hand that can handle different ranges for maps like this - Aniyah Palace has plenty of both wide open spaces, as well as smaller buildings and narrow streets to deal with. You can encounter a range of situations and with terrain this variable you'll need to be as flexible as posible.

The first beta test for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare multiplayer will run Sept. 12-16, but only on PlayStation 4. Early access for players who pre-order the PS4 version will run Sept. 12-13, while an open beta will run Sept. 14-16.

A second beta test period will start on Sept. 19, when developer Infinity Ward will test crossplay across PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Like the previous weekend, those who pre-order the PC or Xbox One version of the game will get early access to the beta on Sept. 19-20. An open crossplay beta for all platforms will run Sept. 21-23.

Hell yeah. I’ll be pre-ordering soon...

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, atom631 said:

this is the first COD game im actually kinda excited for. Ive been watching a bunch of the MP streams and it looks really good. I think Ill be picking this up. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm thinking the same way. Looks pretty badass.

:daydream:

I too am getting more interested in this. The return to more grounded combat, and returning to the series' roots of military combat is refreshing, and the changes to multiplayer are nice. Plus the addition of crossplay means I can play with my console owning friends while I can stick to PC. 

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/08/19/cod-modern-warfare-2v2-mode-alpha-hits-ps4-august-23/

Gunfight Mode Overview

Unlike Modern Warfare’s core Multiplayer experience – which is all about insanely deep weapon customization – Gunfight Mode is about adapting to unpredictable loadouts in intimate 2v2 maps. It’s a refreshing, intense contrast that enriches the overall package.

The goal is simple: First team to win five rounds secures victory. The catch is each team begins a given round with a “random” weapon loadout. Infinity Ward has curated a wide range of loadouts, from pistol and rocket launcher combos to scoped shotguns. You never know what you’re going to get, so quick thinking and fast reflexes are rewarded. The opposing team starts with the same loadout, which makes predicting enemy strategies crucial.

Experienced Call of Duty players will pick up the nuances of combat quickly. Even so, here are some tips to get you started:

• Study Your Loadout – Your primary weapon is obvious, but look deeper to your sidearm, grenade, and gear. Sometimes your pistol will offer better range that the shotgun you spawned with. Don’t mistake your smoke grenade for a flash bang in the heat of the moment. Mind the details!
  • Listen Carefully – Modern Warfare’s multiplayer removes the mini–map by default. Keep your ears peeled for the crunch of enemy footsteps and other positional cues. Keep your head on a swivel. Headphones make a big difference, too.
  • Pulling Overtime – An Overtime Flag appears if opposing players are still standing after 40 seconds. First team to secure the central flag wins the round.
  • Be Unpredictable – Both teams start with sniper rifles and pistols? Take advantage of your enemies’ tunnel vision by storming the map, chucking a grenade, and brandishing that sidearm. Wildcard strategies make you harder to predict.
  • Move Together – Generally goes without saying, but teams that move together live longer. This forces your enemies to think a second longer before engaging. Also, if you die via a surprise attack, your surviving ally has a chance to avenge your death and with the round.
  • Embrace Discovery – Gunfight Mode is a brilliant way to get trigger time with a diverse set of weapons. Who knows – maybe the random loadouts will lead you to fall in love with a new approach to combat to take into Team Deathmatch and other Multiplayer modes.

• Thanks 1

I really love being able to play with console players on PC by just using a controller. I can get rid of that PS Plus subscription for good now.

But as a Black Ops 4 player, the one thing that worries me is the monetization. Black Ops 4 is one of the biggest microtransaction hells ever made - there's F2P games out there that are more generous than that. Loot boxes, battle pass, direct purchases with a premium currency. It's all there, and not even restricted to cosmetics only: new guns are coming from loot boxes these days.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the worst MP game I’ve ever played...and that includes all the other COD games. The TTK is fucking ridiculous. It’s instant death. Comes to down to who saw who first. The sound is fucking horrible. The default assault gun is a burst fire which is a severe disadvantage to full auto guns and there is zero recoil. So the 2-3 guns i tried felt identical. Also, You can’t hear anyone until they are right on top of you. 

also - I was insta-killed bc I guess they can run right through the spawn. So I died about 6 times in a row to some asshole running circles in the spawn point. Is this game for real?

I played 1 1/2 rounds. Instant uninstall and instant cancel of pre-order. Quickest rage quit I’ve ever had.

thank you beta for saving me $60. 

29 minutes ago, atom631 said:

This is the worst MP game I’ve ever played...and that includes all the other COD games. The TTK is fucking ridiculous. It’s instant death. Comes to down to who saw who first. The sound is fucking horrible. The default assault gun is a burst fire which is a severe disadvantage to full auto guns and there is zero recoil. So the 2-3 guns i tried felt identical. Also, You can’t hear anyone until they are right on top of you. 

also - I was insta-killed bc I guess they can run right through the spawn. So I died about 6 times in a row to some asshole running circles in the spawn point. Is this game for real?

I played 1 1/2 rounds. Instant uninstall and instant cancel of pre-order. Quickest rage quit I’ve ever had.

I had hope after the trainwreck of BFV.

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

Git Gud

Sorry I just had to say it. :lol:

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Git Gud

Sorry I just had to say it. :lol:

You’re not wrong! But seriously...I don’t have the patience for it. Claustrophobic maps with a TTK like that just means camping and frustration. Not my bag. I’ll stick with Battlefield MP.