Marvel flexes some cash and maybe has Thor kill off Akira...

Someone thought it would be a great idea to launch the movie on May 21, 2021, the same day as a yet unannounced Marvel film and John Wick 4. That sounds like a brilliant day to release this...

EDIT: Well, here's an update for you. That untitled Marvel film set to release the same day as Akira might be Thor 4. Also, Waititi is officially back for Thor 4. Akira has now been pushed off indefinitely as Thor 4 has taken priority and their production would have overlapped.

• Haha 1

They should actually try and make this a series instead of a movie. The movie itself, as great as it was for its time, was an adaptation of the original manga and it itself left a lot out of the story. I haven't watched it in years but Akira and Fist of the Northstar were my introductions to anime.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I haven't watched it in years but Akira and Fist of the Northstar were my introductions to anime.

Pretty much same for me. I was in a blockbuster video and I saw this on the shelves with the "Not for children" sticker on the cover and I HAD to see it! :p

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They should actually try and make this a series instead of a movie. The movie itself, as great as it was for its time, was an adaptation of the original manga and it itself left a lot out of the story. I haven't watched it in years but Akira and Fist of the Northstar were my introductions to anime.

Fist of the North Star was soooo bad :sick:

This isn't particularly surprising. Thor 4 seemed like it was happening, and with the direction that they've taken the character, it makes sense for Waititi to continue the arc. I do wonder if Thor 4 comes before or after Guardians 3.

I love Waititi, but he never really did feel like a good fit for Akira, and Akira never really did feel like a good fit for live action. If it does get around to it, I'll watch it and hope for it to be good, but it feels like one of those doomed projects that will never happen.

• Thanks 1