"Everything old can be new again" Inside the GOP operation to take down Joe Biden

Republican operatives have begun a vast, coordinated opposition-research effort to derail Biden in the primary or, at the very least, make sure he hobbles into the general election. “There’s a lot of material on Biden” says one R.N.C. strategist. “It’s sort of a gold mine of content.”

One example:

Any day now, if you haven’t seen it already, a video will surface of Joe Biden sounding downright Trumpian on the subject of immigration. “This isn’t amnesty,” Biden says in the clip, arguing that if “illegal aliens” want to earn their place in America, they need to pay a fine and learn to speak English, damnit. 

Republican fears about Biden:

Welcome to the plot to take down Joe Biden, the 2020 candidate most feared by President Donald Trump and the Republican insiders working to re-elect him. For years, decades really, Biden was largely written off as a buffoon. Yet, somehow, this gaffe-prone, admitted plagiarizer, a miserable failure at running for president (twice!) who only found success by hitching his broken-down wagon to Barack Obama, is suddenly a formidable challenger.

As one concerned Republican pollster told me in an e-mail, Biden “doesn’t seem like the type of guy who wants to take my gun. He doesn’t seem like a miserable person to have to live with for four years. Biden’s record is so long and all over the map, that I think we worry voters give him a pass on everything before Obama and somehow he almost seems like he has a clean slate.”

“He’s been singing the song of the disposed a hell of a lot longer than Donald Trump has,” a Republican media maven said. “He knows how to do grievance politics.”

Strategy:

Republicans want to rewind the clock and re-write the script, recasting Biden as the rhetorically cringe-worthy second coming of Crooked Hillary, responsible for nearly everything that’s gone wrong in Washington during Biden’s 50 years walking the corridors of power. To pull it off, the R.N.C., working hand in hand with the Trump campaign, has assembled perhaps its largest-ever war room, with approximately six to seven operatives working in opposition research and four to five conducting near ‘round-the-clock rapid media response. The effort—featuring public document requests and other standards of the dirt-digging trade—has been well underway since last year.

I don't want Biden, but we're also well past the point where a person's history matters. Personality and projection of concerns is the only thing that matters to people. If they can project their own concerns onto the person and it appears that they feel the same way (regardless of their policy to address those concerns), then people will feel invested in them.

I mean, saying there is a treasure trove on Biden, when your guy is Trump is pretty rich.

If the dirt on Biden is like stepping in a dog turd... the dirt on Trump is like a violent diarrhea volcano destroying an entire continent.

Didn't seem to matter much because most republicans are apparently hypocritical idiot shitlords who don't give a fuck about any of the morality shit they've been bitching about for decades.

INTO THE DIARRHEA VOLCANO WITH EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:12 PM, CitizenVectron said:

I don't want Biden, but we're also well past the point where a person's history matters. Personality and projection of concerns is the only thing that matters to people. If they can project their own concerns onto the person and it appears that they feel the same way (regardless of their policy to address those concerns), then people will feel invested in them.

Agreed - basically the unwashed masses are pretty fucking stupid. 

On 5/24/2019 at 2:22 PM, ort said:

I mean, saying there is a treasure trove on Biden, when your guy is Trump is pretty rich.

If the dirt on Biden is like stepping in a dog turd... the dirt on Trump is like a violent diarrhea volcano destroying an entire continent.

Didn't seem to matter much because most republicans are apparently hypocritical idiot shitlords who don't give a fuck about any of the morality shit they've been bitching about for decades.

INTO THE DIARRHEA VOLCANO WITH EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.

Yeah, but Republicans know that. The difference s Republican voters don't care about their candidates reputation or history but the Democrats/left leaning voters will care by comparison about Biden. Republicans know that Democrats' and the left's biggest potential weakness is that they actually try to some extent to hold their politicians somewhat accountable, and they use that to make us like no one. Though I am not a Biden fan, to be fair. 

I don't see how anyone can not want Biden. I understand preferring someone else. But he is certainly the best compromise. He's not so far left that he disgusts the center, he's well liked and respected, and a genuinely good guy. 

I mean, people have to literally try to pretend that he somehow assaults women, even though none of those women agree, just to have a little dirt on him. 

I'm not saying he's the best Candidate, but he's the best candidate who can beat Trump. Warren certainly has no chance, she'll be embarrassed the same way Hillary was. The hillary fans hate Bernie so much they project her loss onto him, with some here still screaming it from the rooftops even though they know it's an absolute lie. The left constantly vilifies it's own. Then there is Gabbard, the best of the candidates. But the liberals hate her cuz she said stuff when she was a teenager. Some here go so far as to pretend she's Russian backed because she's smart enough to know America has no business in Syria, or anywhere in the middle east. 

Continue to eat your own, but it won't win you the presidency. More people are turning away from the democrats every day. 

27 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I don't see how anyone can not want Biden. I understand preferring someone else. But he is certainly the best compromise. He's not so far left that he disgusts the center, he's well liked and respected, and a genuinely good guy. 

I mean, people have to literally try to pretend that he somehow assaults women, even though none of those women agree, just to have a little dirt on him. 

I'm not saying he's the best Candidate, but he's the best candidate who can beat Trump. Warren certainly has no chance, she'll be embarrassed the same way Hillary was. The hillary fans hate Bernie so much they project her loss onto him, with some here still screaming it from the rooftops even though they know it's an absolute lie. The left constantly vilifies it's own. Then there is Gabbard, the best of the candidates. But the liberals hate her cuz she said stuff when she was a teenager. Some here go so far as to pretend she's Russian backed because she's smart enough to know America has no business in Syria, or anywhere in the middle east. 

Continue to eat your own, but it won't win you the presidency. More people are turning away from the democrats every day. 

It's weird, after 2017/2018 and Democrats huge gains nationwide, that someone can say that with a straight face. Do you live in a universe where Republicans expanded their control?

2 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Tulsi is garbage. She's getting amplified by Russian bots, she won't say Assad is a war criminal (Despite the evidence, but it's tougher to claim to be anti interventionist if you acknowledge that he is a war criminal) and parrots Russian propaganda like this

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/cornel-west-tells-biden-to-get-off-symbolic-crack-pipe-over-crime-law-or-lose-blacks-to-trump

Harvard University philosopher Cornel West says Democratic front-runner Joe Biden will lose black voters to President Trump if he doesn't "get off his symbolic crack pipe" and stop defending the 1994 crime law that he authored.

West, a prominent left-wing activist, spoke with the Washington Examiner after Trump tweeted Monday that blacks "will not be able to vote" for politicians associated with the law, which Biden defended this month by saying it "did not generate mass incarceration."

"I hope and pray he is unable to do it. But if Trump comes out strong on criminal justice reform, he is going to get a slice of the black vote, because this is life or death," West said. "I think Biden is going to have to take responsibility and acknowledge the contribution he made to something that was not a force for good. We all make mistakes, but this was a major, major bad judgment. And we have to tell the truth.

"That Joe Biden was one of the architects, or core architects, is going to haunt him in a very serious way," West said. "When he says it didn't contribute to mass incarceration, I tell him he has to get off his symbolic crack pipe."

The 1994 law introduced mandatory life sentences for three-time federal felons and had a ripple effect of increasing state prison populations by granting $12.5 billion for prison construction to states that passed "truth-in-sentencing" laws forcing inmates to serve 85% of sentences.

In his Twitter assault, Trump wrote that the First Step Act he signed in December — lessening the three-strikes penalty to 25 years, among other reductions — "helped fix the bad 1994 Bill" and noted that then-first lady Hillary Clinton used the term "super predator" to describe black youth targeted by the measure.

"Super Predator was the term associated with the 1994 Crime Bill that Sleepy Joe Biden was so heavily involved in passing. That was a dark period in American History, but has Sleepy Joe apologized? No!" Trump wrote.

West largely agreed with Trump's attack on Biden and expressed concern about the former vice president fracturing the Democratic base ahead of 2020. West, who supports Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders over Biden, said that large numbers of black voters and progressives would sit out the election if Biden were unrepentant as the Democratic nominee.

"It is our relatives and friends and children who were damaged by this," West said of the crime bill, explaining why African Americans would abandon Biden. "I think it damaged sister Hillary also" in 2016

West said Biden "should be ashamed of himself" for using the word "predator" in a 1993 speech pushing for the legislation, and that Trump has a clear political opening.

Joe is getting such a fucking pass from his association with Obama it's not even funny. Whatever may be gained by tilting to blue collar whites in the Midwest, a fickle bunch if there ever was one, there's the very real risk that more black voters will sit home (the real problem Hillary had in WI and MI)

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Joe is getting such a fucking pass from his association with Obama it's not even funny. Whatever may be gained by tilting to blue collar whites in the Midwest, a fickle bunch if there ever was one, there's the very real risk that more black voters will sit home (the real problem Hillary had in WI and MI)

After 2018 in reaction to 2016 so I don't think black voters are ever going to sit home again but they certainly may or may not vote for Biden. 

On 5/28/2019 at 9:36 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Tulsi is garbage. She's getting amplified by Russian bots, she won't say Assad is a war criminal (Despite the evidence, but it's tougher to claim to be anti interventionist if you acknowledge that he is a war criminal) and parrots Russian propaganda like this

Maybe Gabbard just knows not to throw stones from a glass house. 

On 5/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, TheGreatGamble said:

Because he will accomplish absolutely nothing, smile about it, and lose to Ted Cruz in 2024. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Sit home? I think you mean get disenfranchised and blanketed with propaganda.