What is your favorite castlevania game?

Paperclyp

I just beat Rondo last night, and frankly it was incredible. I have a feeling if I would have played that game when it was new it would be a top 10 game of all time for me. And it holds up extremely well, has nice replayability, is challenging but not overly so. Only one boss (death) has a little bit too much randomness to him, otherwise the bosses all give you the feeling of a dark souls boss you’ve finally figured out. 

SOTN was always my default answer but I dunno. This one gives it a run for its money. 

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I've only played Lords of Shadow - does that count?

I dont care what people say, Lords of Shadow was awesome.

But my favorite is still Super Castlevania IV. They just tried so many neat little things with that game, like the rotating rooms, going behind the fence, swinging, letting your whip dangle, etc. Plus the music was fantastic.

Symphony of the Night

I like the pacing more than later Metroidvanias and lack of gimmicks like collecting souls or swapping between characters. For non-Metroidvanias, Rondo of Blood was great and I liked the SNES tech demo known as Super Castlevania IV.

SotN. I never was the hugest fan of the games as a kid. I mean I played all the original NES games and Super Castlevania IV,  and I enjoyed them. But it was never a favorite franchise of mine. Maybe I'll download the collection this weekend and give them a spin again. 

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

SotN by far. Its RPG elements and fantastic sound track really made it stand out from its predecessors. I also enjoyed Simon's Quest, simple because it tried something different.  

Have you played anything after SotN? Most of the DS games contain the elements you enjoy from SotN but are better. :p

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have you played anything after SotN? Most of the DS games contain the elements you enjoy from SotN but are better. :p

Nope, thats where I dropped off from the series as a whole. I have heard many say that SoTN has been surpassed multiple times since then, but I have no experience myself. It takes an absolutely superb Metroidvania (like Hollow knight) to get my attention these days. 

SotN. I like all the other games that followed the Metroidvania formula, but none of them quite top the original. 

As far as the original style, I've a great fondness for Super Castlevania IV. I acknowledge that Rondo is the superior game and I do like it a lot, but something about IV, I just love it. The music, atmosphere, whip mechanics.

I've yet to play a vania that I liked enough to continue playing. I've tried SOTN probably 3 or 4 times and never put more than a couple hours into it. 

I played one of them on the GBA and PSP as well, but don't remember much about them. 

My first vania was Simon's Quest, I mostly played it out of necessity because it was like one of 5 games we had. 

On 5/24/2019 at 10:17 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

But my favorite is still Super Castlevania IV. They just tried so many neat little things with that game, like the rotating rooms, going behind the fence, swinging, letting your whip dangle, etc. Plus the music was fantastic.

All of those things (except the music) is what made me hate SC4. The rotating room, going behind the fence, swinging, etc were all useless, one-and-done tricks with no impact on actual gameplay. The game survives on its OST, and the graphics which have aged extremely well.

My favorite game in the series is Castlevania  III: Dracula’s Curse.

12 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

somedays 3... somedays IV

though most of all I wish they’d revisit the ideas of Castlevania 2... an overworld with more dangerous enemies at night... plus mansions as adventureof link style dungeons deserves to be done right

That’s basically Order of Eccelsia

3 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Those both play very differently. Which Castlevania game does click with you?

I think you misunderstood my sentence, not your fault as I should have wrote it better. I'm saying my favorite is Rondo. I tend to like the more classic style of Castlevania games then the Metroidvania titles in the series. This includes SOTN which didn't really click with me in the past (I think it's maybe because I got way too hardcore into Super Metroid then after that didn't care for games of a similar style).

37 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Rondo.

I really enjoy SotN a great deal, but the extent to which it constantly makes the top of the heap for so many people is confusing to me. I can't think of anything that SotN does better than Order of Ecclesia?

SotN has the best music. 

And sometimes the original just holds up the best in people's eyes. And like regarding OoE, that was the only one of the Metroidvanias that my husband didn't just absolutely stomp into the ground.