~*Official Prime Minister Liz Truss Thread of Anglo-Saxon Embarrassment*~

Just now, marioandsonic said:

EU should tell the UK to fuck off already.

The EU has a lot of power now actually. They can technically sit on the request right until the 31st to pressure Parliament to get off it's ass, or they can grant an extension which will very likely trigger a General Election. Maybe Boris wins in which case the deal goes through, or Labour wins and they negotiate a much softer Brexit tied into a People's Vote. 

I genuinely believe this will ultimately end in the EU simply accepting the UK back in again as if they never left. How it'll get there? No idea - but that's the practical choice so I believe that's what will ultimately be forced to happen. That's why nothing else ever actually happens - everyone's just waiting for this option to be back on the table. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I genuinely believe this will ultimately end in the EU simply accepting the UK back in again as if they never left. How it'll get there? No idea - but that's the practical choice so I believe that's what will ultimately be forced to happen. That's why nothing else ever actually happens - everyone's just waiting for this option to be back on the table. 

That's very possible since the Boris Deal, which is almost identical to May's Deal, sets up a 14 month transition period where the "future relationship" gets worked out. The part they've been fighting over for 3 years now was supposed to be the easy part to work in comparison. 

So, assuming Boris actually signs the extension (which I think he's required to do), now we probably move on to a general election in December. The polling I've seen has been pretty bad, but that BBC article says that a lot of young people are registering. Either way, it doesn't seem the UK comes out of this with a clear direction. 

36 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Brexit extensions are just gonna turn into another strange, esoteric British constitutional custom.

In the year 2300, the Judges in charge of Brit-Cit will still be trotting out the mummified head of Queen Elizabeth II to engage in the traditional Brexit extension flagellation ceremony.

I hadn't heard of any attempts to allow 16 and 17 year olds or EU nationals to vote. After a quick search, it seems like 18 is when the UK considers you an adult with the exceptions of consent and driving. Everything else (leaving education, working, joining the armed forces, alcohol, etc.) requires parental consent. So it would seem a bit out of step to give them the vote. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but making it happen very suddenly doesn't seem like a good move.

As for EU nationals, that's a more interesting thought. Certainly if they're long time residents it makes sense that they should be able to vote. Looking into it quickly, it seems that EU countries vary pretty wildly on how they allow foreigners to vote regardless of EU citizenship. Again, this seems like the kind of thing that should probably be considered and not thrown in as an amendment to a snap election, but it makes sense to me.

6 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

BBC News - Labour to back early general election
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50221856

My expected results:

• Tories win a majority even though country doesn't like them, because it's the British thing to do
  • Corbyn refuses to step down, but caucus boots him as leader
  • In subsequent leadership vote, Corbyn wins again off the back of his loyal base, resumes as leader
  • Tories govern for 10 more years

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My expected results:

• Tories win a majority even though country doesn't like them, because it's the British thing to do
  • Corbyn refuses to step down, but caucus boots him as leader
  • In subsequent leadership vote, Corbyn wins again off the back of his loyal base, resumes as leader
  • Tories govern for 10 more years

• Brexit still keeps getting indefinitely delayed.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Conservative voters don't care. Winning is the only thing that matters to them, and that is why Conservatives are better at winning. 

If we don't sink to their level....we lose.

If we sink to their level, everybody loses.

Much like how being anti-government gives them an inherent advantage because running a shitty government themselves or just obstructing enough to stop the Dems fron doing anything effective just proves their case that government sucks either way.

• 2 months later...