~*Official Prime Minister Liz Truss Thread of Anglo-Saxon Embarrassment*~

27 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Time for the third general election in four years!

Looks like Labour's play is they won't consent to a General Election until the No Deal ban is signed into a law. 

The Rebel Alliance is much bigger than the Government realized but they've carried out their threat to kick them out of the Party (including removing them from Tory Whatsapp Groups). May's Chancellor, The Father of the House, Churchill's grandson, and about 20 others are all out. 

40 minutes ago, CayceG said:

But they can't vote on whether to do Brexit again! No siree!

That's what Jeremy Corbyn said they should do after the vote today:

As I have said before: if the prime minister has confidence in his Brexit policy - when he has one he can put forward - he should put it before the people in a public vote.

Part of the problem with a second vote is there isn't really a plan to vote on. The thing that makes sense to me is that you put forward a plan that has already been approved by both the UK and EU, but the only such plan has proven historically unpopular. I can only imagine the imaginary deal that Johnson would want to put on the ballot. Still, it does seem like the obvious choice. Perhaps the biggest problem with the original referendum is that no one really knew what leaving the EU would be like, and most of the arguments for leaving where incredibly dishonest.

33 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Perhaps the biggest problem with the original referendum is that no one really knew what leaving the EU would be like, and most of the arguments for leaving where incredibly dishonest.

The referendum shouldn't have been binary, it should have been "remain" and several realistic options for "leave". I doubt "leave" wins if you forced voters to vote on a specific flavor of "leave". 

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

So now what happens?  Another general election soon?  Do they vote on a new Brexit deal as well?

Tomorrow there will be a vote on postponing Brexit until 31 January 2020.  Johnson will also put forward a motion for a new general election which will require a 2/3 majority to pass.

You can watch UK parliament on Twitch and it is surreal (PC Gamer)

Bernie Sanders has his own Twitch channel now, why not the entire UK parliament? They're not getting together to play Minecraft on a shared server and argue about who is putting in the most effort: ukparliament is an unofficial channel that streams parliamentary debates to make the process of UK democracy visible to a wider audience. It also has emotes.

I was reading through the Guardian's live coverage, and I'm confused as to what the Kinnock amendment actually does or how it got passed. It just says that "MPs opposed to it did not put up tellers" and that the No lobby was full at the time. I really don't understand parliamentary procedures, but it seems pretty odd that you can pass something because you didn't count the votes against it, when there were votes against it.

Still, it seems pretty unclear what it actually forces anyone to do. It seems that it resurrects the May deal in some way, but it doesn't seem like it's binding in any particular way that I've seen given.

This whole thing is such a mess. Now I guess we get to see if Johnson can get his election in time.

Boris Johnson's brother quits government in protest at Boris Johnson's leadership

Jo Johnson, a business minister, said it was impossible to reconcile “family loyalty and the national interest”, adding: “It’s an unresolvable tension & time for others to take on my roles as MP & minister #overandout “

It is only six weeks since the younger Johnson faced fierce criticism for returning to serve his brother – despite resigning for the first time late last year, to campaign for a Final Say referendum on Brexit.

It leaves the prime minister with the painful task of trying to explain why even his own sibling has lost faith in his handling of the Brexit crisis, as the criticism of Tory MPs grows.

In a bombshell tweet, Jo Johnson wrote: “In recent weeks I’ve been torn between family loyalty and the national interest,” – before going on to describe it as “an unresolvable tension”.

Wow.

The Guardian outlines two scenarios where an election is called.

Two-thirds of MPs vote on Monday to call a new election. In which case the earliest it could happen is Oct. 15th. It seems that many Labor MPs don't want a new vote until the Brexit delay bill just passed becomes law. Many don't want an election until after the European council would potentially agree to the extension, which would happen on Oct. 17-18. It also sounds like some just don't want an election before the 31st, to ensure that there isn't any trickery.

Should the vote of no confidence go through, the opposition gets 14 days to form a new government. Assuming that fails, they'd then have to wait 25 days, meaning the soonest the election could be held is Oct. 29th. It sure seems like Johnson thinks that even in that scenario it would be plausible to no-deal brexit on the 31st, which seems pretty insane to me.

Boris Johnson 'will be forced from power if he defies no-deal law' (Guardian)

Boris Johnson would trigger a legal and constitutional crisis that would force his resignation as prime minister if he failed to obey a law mandating him to seek another extension to Brexit, according to high-level legal advice obtained by Labour.

The conclusions of a team of leading QCs, which have been sent to the shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, make clear that the prime minister would be declared in contempt of court if he tried to remain in No 10 while refusing to obey legislation to prevent the UK leaving the EU without a deal on 31 October. The new law is expected to gain royal assent from the Queen early next week.