Playdate - A new tiny handheld system coming next year for $149

TwinIon

Playdate is a new tiny handheld system from Mac software studio Panic, who has more recently moved into gaming with Firewatch and soon, Untitled Goose Game. It looks retro, but it's not a retro game system. It runs an OS designed by Panic and will only play games built for the platform.

0.gif

The Verge

It sports a black and white screen, a d-pad, two face buttons, and oddly enough, a hand crank. While the screen feels like a throwback, the Playdate does have modern connectivity options, sporting Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and USB-C.

When you buy the device for $149 you'll gain access to one "season" of 12 games. After powering it on, you'll start with one game and receive one new game for each of the next twelve weeks. Future seasons of games will be released depending on how sales go for the first.

The games themselves are largely being kept under wraps, but developers of games like Qwop and Katamari Damacy have signed on.

It's certainly an oddity, and I kinda want one. It feels like a throwback to those old nearly disposable mobile games from my childhood. At $50 I'd be all over it, at $100 I'd probably buy. At $150, if feels like a stretch. They do warn that stock will be very limited, so buyers will likely have to decide sight unseen.

I'm actually genuinely interested. Seems weird and stripped back enough that devs can focus on making fun experiences. The visuals based on the gifs seem like a real screen and not some Tiger Electronics shit.

Seems a little pricey I guess, but it also comes with 12 games made specifically for it, and I like the concept of getting a new game each week.

The crank isn't for charging, it's an alternate control input, which seems like it could be fun. I'm big on little additions like that so long as they're not the focus of the system, which it sounds like it's not.

• 1 year later...

None. A small handful of developers have units due to a lottery that was held last year and there are some videos of what they are working on but that is about it. I was super excited for this and even got on the drawing list for a devkit (sadly didn't get one) but I'm starting to lose interest because this thing has taken so long to come out. -.-

• 7 months later...