Occulus Quest is Legit

Alpha1Cowboy

I am already the owner of an HTC VIVE and VIVE Pro and an Oculus Go

My initial thoughts. 

The screen is on par with the Vive Pro.....it does not have the same refresh rate, but the games and programs I've used seem to take this into account and have downgraded visuals.....that's not to say they look bad...the visuals that are there look great...but they have eliminated some visuals...like fog in Beat Saber.  So you have less visual components, but the ones that are there look good.

Minimal screen door effect.  For some reason I am not really able to discern screen door effect or frame rate drops in games...unless its completely obvious...so your mileage may vary

The Sound....is great.   You can use headphones...and many reviews say you should, but the sound feels like its just there in your ears....very much like the go where the sound is just here but you can't make out a discernable speaker in the headband.  I still think this is awesome how they fit a tiny speaker in the headband strap that works so well.

Using an Ipad or phone you can stream your experience very easily so others can see what you are doing in VR or for recording.

Battery life is much improved over the Go.....I feel like its doubled...so hardcore gaimng will get you two solid hours...streaming Netflix 3 Solid Hours......but even better..I have an Anker battery that I use for my Switch that i can slide into a back pocket and it connects via USB C easily to the headset and adds another 4-6 hours easily.  (Not that I can spend that long in VR...)

The face has a fan inside it....If you used the GO...you may have found that the interior fogs up..sometimes quite easily....this has been fixed.  (this also means that the unit is more front facing heavy..but it's not too bad..the original HTC Vive with the straps was worse)  

Tracking is phenomenal....I used it in my basement and in my kids bedroom.  It was very easy to outline a new play area and I love the way that it uses Gridlines like the Vive if you get too close to act as a warning...but even better is the fact that if you setp out of the play area..the front cameras come on so you can actually see without taking the headset off.   If my wife comes down stairs I can just jump out and talk and then jump back in...

Never used the Oculus handset before and it takes a little getting used to, but they tarcked and worked flawlessly....and the finger gestures made even more intricate hand movement in games possible.

Overall the biggest takeaway is that the whole process was seamless.   Jumping into VR is quick and easy and everything works fluidly.    It may not be able to handle No Mans Sky VR like my Vive Pro...but the games and apps it does work with...work well enough to make the experience a lot funner.  

(if you have questions ask away)  

I really do think that this is a real big step in consumer VR and a sign of things to come.  Advances are coming at a much faster clip and these devs have a solid foundation to build on.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Have you spent any time with PSVR? How does the display compare?

Unfortunately out of all the VR headsets I own...and I'm now up to 4...I have not gotten to use the PSVR headset.

From the specs only the PSVR has lower reolution , 960X1080 vs 1600X1440 but higher refresh rate 90 to 120HZ vs 72 and I have to believe that the AMOLED  PSVR screen is more colorful than  the OLED in the Quest.

There are some games I know the my Vive Pro will be my go to device..and maybe they will drop the damn price of the wireless transmitter form $300 to something more realistic like $100...but for now I can see the Quest as likely being my most used VR device.  

The Inside Out Motion Tracking really is a game changer.  

1 minute ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Unfortunately out of all the VR headsets I own...and I'm now up to 4...I have not gotten to use the PSVR headset.

From the specs only the PSVR has lower reolution , 960X1080 vs 1600X1440 but higher refresh rate 90 to 120HZ vs 72 and I have to believe that the AMOLED  PSVR screen is more colorful than  the OLED in the Quest.

I have both, and I can say that the Quest has less of a screen door effect, but looks just as clean as PSVR. Obviously, the Hardware driving the PSVR is strong so its textures, as an example, are better, but overall the experience is thus far (only had the Quest a single day) very comparable. Optimization is a Hell of thing! :p

The Quest is fantastic! As others have said, its an amazing device considering what you get for $400.00 of Tech! Its as close to Plug and play as VR is going to get and it just works. I've yet to try two player (I bought two so I can play with the kids), but I plan to this weekend! Sports Scramble serves as a nice Wii Sports clone and should be a fun time! 

I URGE (that's right!) those that have laughed this platform off to try it for yourself, you will b surprised at the quality of the experience! Someone said this is the iPhone of VR (ironic considering it runs android OS! ) and I agree. This VR kit has the potential to break through to the masses. 

$400 for a VR set that doesnt require additional hardware is pretty tempting. I imagine if you guys are impressed, than someone like myself that has zero experience with VR will be blown away. Well, I do have some experience with VR... I played a cheesy lightsaber game at the mall in the mid-90's :p

4 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

$400 for a VR set that doesnt require additional hardware is pretty tempting. I imagine if you guys are impressed, than someone like myself that has zero experience with VR will be blown away. Well, I do have some experience with VR... I played a cheesy lightsaber game at the mall in the mid-90's :p

If you have no experience with modern VR then yeah, you will be blow away! The Quest is the prefect entry point to VR. I doubt you would regret the purchase! 

As an owner of a Rift, I know I shouldn't buy the Quest, but I'm still tempted. I don't think there will be any game that the Quest will have that won't work better on the Rift, but the idea of playing without wires in different rooms, and being able to take it elsewhere, is really making me consider it.

52 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If the PC powered version (S? I can’t keep track of these model names) was wireless I’d likely get it to replace my Vive.

Not having to rely on base stations for movement is huge, but since you’re still tethered... meh.

I agree. The base stations are annoying to setup, and took a good deal of trial and error to get right, but their existence isn't the thing that prevents me from using my Rift more often. Most of the time it's that my office is perfectly clear, and the tether to the PC is always annoying. There's also the matter of orientation. Both because of the wire and because of my 3 tracker setup, everything works best when facing in one direction, so if I'm playing something omnidirectional, it's annoying to have to reorient myself periodically.

That's really the greatest thing about the Quest, it just removes so many little hurdles! Any one of those hurdles wouldn't be a big deal, but collectively they are. Quest, eliminates the vast majority of current gen VR headaches and still gives you a really compelling experience that is not "just cell phone VR". 

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That's really the greatest thing about the Quest, it just removes so many little hurdles! Any one of those hurdles wouldn't be a big deal, but collectively they are. Quest, eliminates the vast majority of current gen VR headaches and still gives you a really compelling experience that is not "just cell phone VR". 

I mean, give it a few months to when the hardware driving it is super outdated :p 

That's why I'm waiting for the PC alternative - I'd prefer having it linked (wirelessly) to my PC's hardware then need to rely on whatever is driving the stand-alone headset. As long as the range is in the 30-ish feet range I'd be happy with a wireless PC version, as I could use a different room then where my PC is for the "playroom". :daydream: 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

If the PC powered version (S? I can’t keep track of these model names) was wireless I’d likely get it to replace my Vive.

Not having to rely on base stations for movement is huge, but since you’re still tethered... meh.

This is my dilemma. I would like a PC powered one so I can something like No Man's Sky VR when that hits, but fuck those cords!

I think I'm leaning more towards Quest right now. The freedom and ease of use is too appealing. 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, give it a few months to when the hardware driving it is super outdated :p 

That's why I'm waiting for the PC alternative - I'd prefer having it linked (wirelessly) to my PC's hardware then need to rely on whatever is driving the stand-alone headset. As long as the range is in the 30-ish feet range I'd be happy with a wireless PC version, as I could use a different room then where my PC is for the "playroom". :daydream: 

Oh for sure the static hardware is a long term issue and the HMD will need a hardware refresh every 2 years I would think. Still, this unit is really just trying to offer to target the mass market, not the high end experience folks. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Oh for sure the static hardware is a long term issue and the HMD will need a hardware refresh every 2 years I would think. Still, this unit is really just trying to offer to target the mass market, not the high end experience folks. 

:raisedbrow:

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

They already have programs to link it to your PC to stream games...granted...it was literally just released and an offical version is on the way.  I'm gonna give it a shot maybe this weekend just to see if artifacting is an issue.  

That said...I spent 5 hours staright last night in VR......Vader Immortal is a must buy...I could spend hours just in the training section fighting the flying blaster speheres.....deflecting blaster bolts back at them and slicing and dicing and just perfecting lightsaber play.

Eventually you will get what you want with VR, but at this time and place...this is one of the best and most enjoyable in home VR experiences you can have and it's a perfect jumping off point.  $400 is the perfect price.

$400 is not a mainstream price point. It needs to drop in price by $150 before you see a high volume of sales. 

Personally, I have no interest in it due to the current library. I played most of the good games already on the VIVE or PSVR. I’ll wait until I see the wireless solution and decide between the two. 

32 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

$400 is not a mainstream price point. It needs to drop in price by $150 before you see a high volume of sales. 

Personally, I have no interest in it due to the current library. I played most of the good games already on the VIVE or PSVR. I’ll wait until I see the wireless solution and decide between the two. 

I disagree completely.  It will drop in price by $150 when the next version comes out.  I think you don't realize all the technology packed into this thing.    

You want cheap VR..you can have it at $150 with the oculus Go and 1 waggle controller.    You want Full flawless 6DOF with headset and advanced controllers.....$400 is very reasonable mainstream price.  A Nintendo Switch is 349.99.  

The biggest thing about VR is convncing people of a use case to get them hooked.    I shoot pictures and video on a Lenovo Mirage VR180 camera.....playing them back on the Quest is easy and it's like stepping into a memory.  

I think the inevitable evolution of the Quest is to replace the Rift by wirelessly connecting to a PC. Of course that's not possible with this first version, but imagine a Quest 2 (or 3 or 4) that can also act as a wireless PC based HMD. They could easily sell the PC connector for an extra $100-$200 and it would be an instant buy for me.

30 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I agree that $400 is not low enough to fly off the shelves, but I think at $200 it sells millions and even at $300 it could challenge the PSVR if the library grows. The PSVR has sold 4M units at $300 + a playstation. The $200 Go has sold a million or two units, and it's not even close to the same experience.

I see it similar to how Video game consoles don’t sell that well at the $400 price point. Mainstream buyers do not care about quality or value. Price is all that matters and I think $400 is a tad high. Bring it down to the $250 range and it will sell really well especially around the holidays. I fully expect Facebook to discount this by $100-150 by the end of the year. 

I think by this Christmas you could see it maybe at the $349 price point.......but past that you start cutting corners and the experience suffers

Added: Even the Go has not received a $100 price cut

I am all for cheap awesome VR....but the price here is pretty competitive and fair.   I've tested it for a couple days and it holds up well to my much more expensive Vive Pro.  

Standing face to face with Darth Vader is really something! Things you don't think about. I'm apparently taller than the average storm trooper, but ever so slightly shorter than Darth Vader! Also, wielding a light Saber never gets old!  :sun:

19 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I think by this Christmas you could see it maybe at the $349 price point.......but past that you start cutting corners and the experience suffers

Added: Even the Go has not received a $100 price cut

I am all for cheap awesome VR....but the price here is pretty competitive and fair.   I've tested it for a couple days and it holds up well to my much more expensive Vive Pro.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $329 on Black Friday and I might have to pick it up at that price point.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, DPCyric said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $329 on Black Friday and I might have to pick it up at that price point.

It's definitly possible...and at that price a steal.  

After almost a week....I am even more impressed with the device.   I took it to work and had several co workers who never had tried VR before immediatly go out and purchase one form Best Buy.  My wife who is anti technology keeps asking to use it....mostly for Beat Saber and some Dance game and YouTube VR.  

With riftcat and other devs working furiously to optomize your wireless connection to PC to Stream and sideload games..the vlaue proposition is even better.   

5 Nights at Freddys VR hits this week....kids and I can't wait.

No matter where you take it..you can have it up and running within 2-3 minutes.....it comes on...you make head strap adjustments....you define your play area and bam...your good to go.  Also as compared to the GO...no fogging up issues....adding that internal fan for cooling vs the passive cooling really helped.

@Alpha1Cowboy before the launch I read that the Quest can save up to five locations and auto detects these locations (I'm guessing by object recognition?). Since using it though, I have not been able to find this feature. Its really not much of an effort to draw a box around myself each time but the auto feature really sounded handy! do you know if this was scrapped for some reason? If its there, how do I activate it? 

On 5/23/2019 at 6:33 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

Standing face to face with Darth Vader is really something! Things you don't think about. I'm apparently taller than the average storm trooper, but ever so slightly shorter than Darth Vader! Also, wielding a light Saber never gets old!  :sun:

This sent me down a rabbit hole.  I had to find out how tall Vader is supposed to be.  Google thinks Vader is 6'2... however the first actor to play him was 6'6 and he is listed on other fan sites as being 6'7 1/2 .  So I guess it depends on which legs he attaches that day...  

15 minutes ago, number305 said:

This sent me down a rabbit hole.  I had to find out how tall Vader is supposed to be.  Google thinks Vader is 6'2... however the first actor to play him was 6'6 and he is listed on other fan sites as being 6'7 1/2 .  So I guess it depends on which legs he attaches that day...  

I'm 6' 2" but Vader had me by the dome of his helmet! :p

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

@Alpha1Cowboy before the launch I read that the Quest can save up to five locations and auto detects these locations (I'm guessing by object recognition?). Since using it though, I have not been able to find this feature. Its really not much of an effort to draw a box around myself each time but the auto feature really sounded handy! do you know if this was scrapped for some reason? If its there, how do I activate it? 

I wasn't aware of that.  I do know that if I go to my upstairs bedroom versus the basement it automatically will give me my previous play space I used.and ask me if it's ok..I didn't know it how it was doing it though and I didn't enable or disable anything that I recall.   Usually just to be OCD and make sure tracking is optimal I will redraw anyway.

Also...I find a small size bean bag chair as the perfect accessory.....you can pull it in and out of your space easily.  

I don't really have a reference point to some of the higher end VR headsets, but I am pretty damn impressed with the overall clarity, tracking, and response time of the Quest.  I've been playing the hell out of Beat Saber or just randomly looking around in Wandering.  Can't wait to go through Vader Immortal.

Also, some VR videos are rather immersive...

:bj:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 4:05 PM, Amazatron said:

I don't really have a reference point to some of the higher end VR headsets, but I am pretty damn impressed with the overall clarity, tracking, and response time of the Quest.  I've been playing the hell out of Beat Saber or just randomly looking around in Wandering.  Can't wait to go through Vader Immortal.

Also, some VR videos are rather immersive...

:bj:

The YouTube VR videos have been getting better and better with each day.   There was one with Alex Honhold climbing El Capitan in Yosemite that was just pure awesomeness.  It's one thing to watch on a big screen...it's another to be there right beside him and fully understand how high up you are.  

A couple weeks in and I still have tried the sideloading stuff yet and vrcat or the streaming from my PC, but I'll get around to it.