Uncharted 4 sold 16+ million units, God of War 10+, Last of Us Remastered almost 12 million, SIE to expand first party studios

SaysWho?

Here are some comparisons:

God of War 2 : 4.3M
God of War 3 : 7.6M
God of War (PS4) : 10.9M
Uncharted 3 : 9.2M
Uncharted 4 : 16.2M
TLOU (PS3) : 8.2M
TLOU (PS4) : 11.8M

Also, this is the second-to-last year of this gen, and 2012 was the second-to-last of last gen. In 2012, Sony announced God of War 3, the conclusion of the GOW saga (at least the main story in the Greek world) sold 5.2 million after being out for two years instead of GOW PS4's one.

Amazing.

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

And they say single player gaming is dead. I know UC4 and TLOU have MP, but they also have substantial single player campaigns, and I would say those are the focus of both games and not the MP. 

I’ve only played the multiplayer of 3 and 4

39 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Not to mention Horizon, and Spider-Man, and Bloodborne.

PS4 is the best, LMAO @ the Xbox and PC dweebs.

I’ve got a PS4 strictly for its exclusives.  Sony’s publishing efforts have stepped up considerably this gen, but its also been counter weighted by 3rd party developers overseas cozying up to the PC.

I’m finding that Sony’s pitch for their consoles is a lot closer to Nintendo’s exclusivity angle than it used to be.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I’ve got a PS4 strictly for its exclusives.  Sony’s publishing efforts have stepped up considerably this gen, but its also been counter weighted by 3rd party developers overseas cozying up to the PC.

I’m finding that Sony’s pitch for their consoles is a lot closer to Nintendo’s exclusivity angle than it used to be.

I still have fond memories in 2014 of many wondering when the good Sony games were coming. :daydream:

But to be fair, Xbox had a diverse slate of exclusives that year and an Insomniac one on top of that. Many PS buyers were wondering when they were gonna get stuff like Sunset Overdrive or Project Spark or a collection like Master Chief (at least until it released and there were huge issues). Course, Bloodborne came out and the slate after that all looked promising. Plus, man, Resogun was under the fuck rated.

10 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I still have fond memories in 2014 of many wondering when the good Sony games were coming. :daydream:

But to be fair, Xbox had a diverse slate of exclusives that year and an Insomniac one on top of that. Many PS buyers were wondering when they were gonna get stuff like Sunset Overdrive or Project Spark or a collection like Master Chief (at least until it released and there were huge issues). Course, Bloodborne came out and the slate after that all looked promising. Plus, man, Resogun was under the fuck rated.

The Wii U library by that point was honestly much better than the PS4/XBO early gen stuff.  Nintendo was already in their stride phase.  It's a good thing so many of those games got a second life on the Switch.  That's what people were truly missing out on back then.

I'm surprised we haven't seen SM3DW, Pikmin 3 or Xenoblade X ports yet.

9 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The Wii U library by that point was honestly much better than the PS4/XBO early gen stuff.  Nintendo was already in their stride phase.  It's a good thing so many of those games got a second life on the Switch.  That's what people were truly missing out on back then.

I'm surprised we haven't seen SM3DW, Pikmin 3 or Xenoblade X ports yet.

Yeah, but many people I spoke with, including myself, went from 360 to PS3 or PS4 due to Sony's line-up, which was getting better each generation. So that first year when every big game from Infamous to Driveclub was met with less fanfare than you'd have hoped while MS was working with Insomniac and Harmonix, you were more excited about the future (Bloodborne/Until Dawn/Uncharted 4 at the time) and wondering why 2014 seemed disappointing.

6 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I went PS4 over Xbone because fuck paying for Kinect and tv functionality

That, too, but even before that, PS3 was the last console I got last gen because the 360/Wii were more enticing the first five years of that gen (I'm including the sole year 360 was out before the other two).

The Wii U had a few bangers, but it was mostly barren with several months between meaningful releases. I’m not sure if it ever even got to 200 games on the system (not counting VC). 

I’d sure love 3D world and Wind Waker HD on the Switch tho. 

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The Wii U had a few bangers, but it was mostly barren with several months between meaningful releases. I’m not sure if it ever even got to 200 games on the system (not counting VC). 

I’d sure love 3D world and Wind Waker HD on the Switch tho. 

Damn, a more HD version of an HD re-release, g'damn man. :p 

I remember 2016 being particularly barren, with Star Fox being almost the sole release.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Damn, a more HD version of an HD re-release, g'damn man. :p 

I remember 2016 being particularly barren, with Star Fox being almost the sole release.

I adore wind Waker and have the cube version, but I’ve never played the HD version.

This is a good call since right now of Sony's current 12 existing first party game studios, only 4 have anything currently in production (unless I'm forgetting one):

-Media Molecule (Dreams - pretty much done though)

-PixelOpus (Concrete Genie - pretty much done though)

-Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima)

-Naughty Dog (The Last of Us Part II)

Some just finished games up this year and are likely taking a (well-deserved) break right now:

-Bend Studio (Days Gone)

-London Studio (Blood & Truth)

-San Diego Studio (MLB The Show 19, though MLB The Show 20 is likely next)

-Clap Hanz (Everybody's Golf VR, though Everybody's Golf 2 is likely next)

And others we know what they are clearly working on, it just hasn't been announced yet to save for the PS5 most likely: 

-Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo 7/Gran Turismo Sport 2)

-Santa Monica Studio (God of War 2)

-Guerilla Games (Horizon Zero Dawn 2)

-Japan Studio (Knack III / ?????) 

So I'm curious what's next for 6 of these 12 studios (since we know/can guess what the other 6 are probably doing). I'm not even counting San Mateo Studio and Bluepoint Games, both of whom are not currently making anything (losing Quantic Dream from exclusive second party status and Sony's inability to make Insomniac Games exclusive to them must sting a bit for Sony). Lest we forget Microsoft bought 5 game studios relatively recently, which means they now have 11 of their own first party studios themselves and Microsoft arguably in some ways has more diverse talent now. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is a good call since right now of Sony's current 12 existing first party game studios, only 4 have anything currently in production (unless I'm forgetting one):

-Media Molecule (Dreams - pretty much done though)

-PixelOpus (Concrete Genie - pretty much done though)

-Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima)

-Naughty Dog (The Last of Us Part II)

Some just finished games up this year and are likely taking a (well-deserved) break right now:

-Bend Studio (Days Gone)

-London Studio (Blood & Truth)

-San Diego Studio (MLB The Show 19, though MLB The Show 20 is likely next)

-Clap Hanz (Everybody's Golf VR, though Everybody's Golf 2 is likely next)

And others we know what they are clearly working on, it just hasn't been announced yet to save for the PS5 most likely: 

-Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo 7/Gran Turismo Sport 2)

-Santa Monica Studio (God of War 2)

-Guerilla Games (Horizon Zero Dawn 2)

-Japan Studio (Knack III / ?????) 

So I'm curious what's next for 6 of these 12 studios (since we know/can guess what the other 6 are probably doing). I'm not even counting San Mateo Studio and Bluepoint Games, both of whom are not currently making anything (losing Quantic Dream from exclusive second party status and Sony's inability to make Insomniac Games exclusive to them must sting a bit for Sony). Lest we forget Microsoft bought 5 game studios relatively recently, which means they now have 11 of their own first party studios themselves and Microsoft arguably in some ways has more diverse talent now. 

Bluepoint is currently making something which they say is a remake more ambitious than they've ever done.

Many of Sony's studios spent this gen creating new IPs besides Naughty Dog, and I assume they'll be doing a new IP next gen. The new IPs from the other studios are mostly going to be franchises, so I fully expect them to get sequels considering their success (Horizon 2, GOW2, Days Gone 2, and if Tsushima is successful, a second of those).

There's also Manchester Studio which I believe is a sole VR studio. I don't know what they're working on and wonder if it's for the PS5. There's also the studio they're building currently which I'm assuming is working on something for the PS5. On Reset, I know I've see links in Sony first party threads related to Guerrilla hiring people for some multiplayer thing, and when I read it, it sounded as if it was a second game they were working on past Horizon 2. Many teams under Sony have been expanding, so I do wonder if they're trying to work on two projects with their increased size.

I don't even know if Japan Studio is working on a new Knack unless Cerny is doing that alongside the PS5 as he did with the PS4. They make a lot of new and different kind of games overall. Team Asobi recently did Astro Bot and I'd LOVE another one. Team Siren did Gravity Rush 2 in 2017 and I'm assuming is working on a new game, though I have no idea if it'll be a late PS4 game a la Rain/Puppeteer or a new PS5 game.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Lest we forget Microsoft bought 5 game studios relatively recently, which means they now have 11 of their own first party studios themselves and Microsoft arguably in some ways has more diverse talent now. 

Microsoft now has 13 studios with 17 teams now I believe. They haven't just bought studios, they've been expanding them as well.