Blood & Truth (Sony London Studio PSVR heist game) previews (May 28 release date)

SaysWho?

https://www.gamesradar.com/blood-and-truth-preview/

But the guns. Oh dear lord, the guns. Precise, and with minute vibrations when you reload and holster them, they feel fantastic to shoot. Although dual-wielding is chaotic, manic fun, if you bring one of the move controllers under the hand holding a pistol, for example, you can steady your aim and look down the sights. Pick up a SMG, and hold one of the move controllers to your shoulder to steady the gun against your body, making your aim more precise. Or you can dual-wield combat shotguns and just obliterate anything standing in front of you. Simple, but effective.

Those details give Blood and Truth a completely new sensation I’ve rarely felt while playing FPSs, one that makes me feel like I’ve earned every headshot. Plus if you’ve been on the internet you might have seen those videos of Keanu Reeves demolishing cut-outs at a shooting range at devastating speed. Well, if you didn’t feel quite like John Wick in Blood and Truth’s story, you can practise your aim and speed by completing challenges in the game’s training area and compete with your friends in the challenge leaderboard. After having seen it in action the challenges already feel dangerously addictive, as you need to be on high alert to spot friendlies and get those sweet, sweet headshots.

https://uploadvr.com/blood-and-truth-studio-tour/

More importantly, though, Blood & Truth seems to have genuine consideration for its platform in every strand of its DNA. It adheres to some of the core thrills of the first-person shooters (FPS) we’ve been playing for decades, whilst also deviating from others in meaningful ways. Ammo clips, for example, are generous in count to mimic the seemingly unending number of rounds Hollywood heroes can fire before needing to reload. Lockpicking is simplified to a few twists of a Move controller and stylish slow-motion sequences paint giant white targets on things that will explode when shot.

I spot a few more of these choices in my latest demo, taking me through the game’s opening mission. I love the way Blood & Truth highlights points of interest in the game world with a chalky overlay. I love how it doesn’t shy away from bringing you up close to its cast of characters. And I love Sony London’s genuine desire to get your heartbeat pumping, be it in an all-out synchronized assault across some rooftops, or getting you to hang from the edge of a shipping container dangled in mid-air.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/features/blood-truth-behind-scenes-british-gangster-thriller-new-level/

Set-pieces, meanwhile, are carefully choreographed and laden with slow-motion and visual FX that bombard the headset-wearing player. In one instance, I am sprinting through a collapsing building before being launched into the London sky, stomach lurching as I panickedly stretch out to grab onto a suspended shipping container. Nearly toppling off my (real-world) chair as I do so.

London, meanwhile, has been painstakingly recreated in some scenes for a sense of authenticity. While the soundtrack is a smart and fiery mix of modern grime music and sweeping orchestral score. The music director tells me that the soundtrack will swell and expand if you are pulling off particularly spectacular ‘gun-fu’ style.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/05/hands_on_blood_and_truth_elevates_psvr_to_the_next_level

This makes up for the fact that the traversal is somewhat on rails. While there are veterans of PSVR who may balk at the node-based navigation, the reality is that the developer wants to put the emphasis on your hands. And so the fun in combat gauntlets comes more from your firearm skills than your body’s positioning. For example, holding the triangle button enables you to spin weapons on your finger, allowing you to follow-up quick draws with some showboating before picking off the enemies in front of you.

It goes further than that, though. You can toss ammunition up in the air and then catch it in the butt of your gun, or you can feather revolvers like you’re in the Wild West to increase your shooting speed. Everything feels intuitive, natural, and, most importantly of all, fun – heck, you can even flip some foes the bird before you put a bullet in their bonce. It really doesn’t take itself too seriously, which means there’s one moment in a nightclub where you can assume the role as DJ and start mixing some tracks to an empty club. Again, everything is completely interactive using the PS Move wands.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-05-21-blood-and-truth-was-at-one-point-a-getaway-game-now-its-a-psvr-system-seller

It delivers a bit more besides. Blood & Truth is that relatively uncommon thing - a big, triple-A standalone VR experience, and exactly the kind of thing that could be a system-seller for PlayStation VR. Hell, if you've yet to convert to this magical new medium, then this should really do the trick too. Coming off the back of last year's wonderful Astro Bot Rescue Mission, it shows that Sony is willing and able to invest in serious development for VR (again, perhaps unsurprisingly so, seeing as it has its own VR hardware to shift).

Blood & Truth feels every bit like a second generation VR game, one that's more assured in its use of the medium. The opening scene, as you're strapped in a chair and briefed by a no-nonsense sort played by actor Colin Salmon, has an incredible sense of presence - it's the way that Salmon's eyes follow your movements, perhaps, or in the bits of business that allow you to tinker. It's how Salmon puts up a very professional demeanour by choosing to ignore the moment I pick up and fling a clipboard at his head before flipping the bird at him throughout the remainder of his animated talk.

When you're out in the field, it's there in the smart ways Blood & Truth deals with potentially difficult problems. At its best, this is played with two Move controllers, allowing you to dual wield weapons at certain points, with node-based movement seeing you shift from point to point by looking in a direction and pressing a button. If you're left-handed, the game will adapt as you pull weapons from your arsenal via a swift in-game gesture, and from there you can aim down sights for an unerringly accurate take on gunplay - something a little like Silent Scope, with a different view being offered through the sights.

With Blood & Truth effectively an on-rails shooter, it might make you think it's a restrictive experience. From the small slice I've played, though, it's anything but, and while you are funnelled along a fairly narrow path you're still afforded a lot to do in that small space. Blood & Truth gets that VR is a performative medium, at its best when it has you truly embody the space, and as such it has plenty of tricks that help usher you into another world.

Press a button and you can balance your gun on your trigger finger, then duly spin it on the spot (other tricks are also available as you progress in the game). Have one hand that's free and you can cycle through gestures - and yes, you can flip the bird - while reloading is a pleasingly tactile gesture that you can embellish with your own flourishes. It's gun-fu, essentially, as recently popularised by the John Wick films, and in Blood & Truth it feels every bit as good as it looks on the big screen. It's a simple game, yes, but it's those small things that could make it very special indeed.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 9/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh they continually up the ante... the game is short enough that I definitely want to replay it at some point.

This reminds me a LOT of those arcade on-rails shooters, but way more intense and in the moment because of virtual reality. In fact, as my hands type you this, they look weird because I'm used to my detached hands in the game. :lol: 

Just got past the part where 

Spoiler

mum dies.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

This reminds me a LOT of those arcade on-rails shooters, but way more intense and in the moment because of virtual reality. In fact, as my hands type you this, they look weird because I'm used to my detached hands in the game. :lol: 

Just got past the part where 

Reveal hidden contents

Oh yeah... I'll admit I was legit shocked at that. I was also a little surprised at how similar the plot to this is to Gangs of London, Layer Cake and The Gentleman. I guess this plotline is a common storytelling trope in London?