Mortal Kombat reboot

I watched Gangs of London a year ago as it aired in the UK. It is absolutely worth watching. The two episodes Gareth Evans co-writes and directs (he also showruns and produces the show) are exactly what you'd expect from the guy who did The Raid movies (episodes 1 and 5). The whole show is good and better binged and has been renewed for a season 2.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I believe I caught a bit of the first episode after watching something else. Guy lights a another guy hanging upside down on fire because he saw the getaway car for the guy who killed his father, right? It was late so I didn't want to stay up any later and watch it, but sounds like it's worth catching up on it based on what you're saying. 

Yeah... that was the opening scene I'm pretty sure. I'm due for a rewatch of this series as I haven't scene it since watching it last year. It's a GREAT series as @Greatoneshere has said... I didn't know it was renewed for season 2 but I'm not surprised. 

46 minutes ago, Brick said:

I've actually never seen the Raid movies. I really need to next time I see them on Netflix. 

You really do... they are two of the best martial arts action movies of the last decade. I had the pleasure of seeing The Raid 2 at a midnight screening at Sundance when it was there. The director and whole cast was there... it was amazing. The Raid 2 is on Starz right now if you have that. The Raid 2 isn't quite as good as its predecessor but that last fight scene :shock:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bataar said:

We meet this character named Shang Tsung, but who is he? He seemed pretty important, but no information is given on him. Everyone, even Raiden seemed afraid of him, but why? Fans of the game know, but it would have been nice to have that included.

From what I hear if you really want to have in depth knowledge and have a fleshed out story of MK just watch MK9 story.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So... we all can agree that MK's "story" is a convoluted mess even in the games right? Let's not make the game's story out to be war and peace for god's sake.

Hell no. I quite enjoyed the movie for as stupid as it was. My primary issue with the film was that if you're going to dedicate that much screen time to a not classic character people have known for decades, that new character better be wildly iconic moving forward. That is, they need to be well received enough that we'd be hammering on NetherRealm to add them to the game. If not, then just don't bother and slot in a random fan favorite...or don't. I'd also be fine if Cole wound up being like one of the cyborgs or like Taven and you find out he's really a descendant of one of the gods. Nobody cares about Taven, hell I had to look up his name, but you'd make like those three people and my brother-in-law happy.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Hell no. I quite enjoyed the movie for as stupid as it was. My primary issue with the film was that if you're going to dedicate that much screen time to a not classic character people have known for decades, that new character better be wildly iconic moving forward. That is, they need to be well received enough that we'd be hammering on NetherRealm to add them to the game. If not, then just don't bother and slot in a random fan favorite...or don't. I'd also be fine if Cole wound up being like one of the cyborgs or like Taven and you find out he's really a descendant of one of the gods. Nobody cares about Taven, hell I had to look up his name, but you'd make like those three people and my brother-in-law happy.

There's a precedence for this though. The Mortal Kombat Legacy show centered on three characters that never were in the games and never ended up in the games. I think it frees the filmmakers up to not be beholden to existing lore. Cole may have a forgetable name but I definitely think his character is still evolving. Plus Lewis Tan is awesome so I'm cool with seeing where they go with him. Also he's surrounded by a ton of existing characters so I'm not sure why folks are making this such a huge issue. The movie's plot wasn't great, but I think it succeded in setting up this universe and wetting fan's appetites for the next installments.... which is ultimately what its job was. Anywhooo...

Godzilla-Vs-Kong-HBO-Max-Record-Zack-Sny
SCREENRANT.COM

The latest Mortal Kombat is the victor.

MORTAL KOMBAT, WINS.

27 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

They also selected some lesser known characters from the games to be in the movie like Reiko, he's only been in like MK4 and another one. He's kind of like a poor man's Shao Kahn.

20 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's a precedence for this though. The Mortal Kombat Legacy show centered on three characters that never were in the games and never ended up in the games. I think it frees the filmmakers up to not be beholden to existing lore. Cole may have a forgetable name but I definitely think his character is still evolving. Plus Lewis Tan is awesome so I'm cool with seeing where they go with him. Also he's surrounded by a ton of existing characters so I'm not sure why folks are making this such a huge issue. The movie's plot wasn't great, but I think it succeded in setting up this universe and wetting fan's appetites for the next installments.... which is ultimately what its job was. Anywhooo...

Godzilla-Vs-Kong-HBO-Max-Record-Zack-Sny
SCREENRANT.COM

The latest Mortal Kombat is the victor.

MORTAL KOMBAT, WINS.

What you should have said here was... FLAWLESS VICTORY. Or FATALITY. Or something. Come on! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A flawless victory implies that it was a stomp, .2 million isn't a stomp. It was a well fought victory and the "wins" quote works the best.

I think a lower budget movie with a bunch of unknowns and a new director beating a 70 year old franchise with a giant budget full of Hollywood heavyweights is a stomp.

:shrug:

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

For real... I credit The Raid with influencing a TON of action movies and TV shows after it including the John Wick series. The brutal close quarters fighting with an camera that doesn't cut but FOLLOWS the action revolutionized action movies and brought us out of the closely shot, quick cutting, shaky cam aesthetic that the Bourne movies popularized. The Raid was one of, if not THE turning point.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think a lower budget movie with a bunch of unknowns and a new director beating a 70 year old franchise with a giant budget full of Hollywood heavyweights is a stomp.

:shrug:

If they went head to head maybe... but they didn't. And Godzilla will definitely end up making more money than Mortal Kombat ultimately. Far more. Godzilla vs Kong had positive word of mouth from people who saw it. Mortal Kombat? Not so much. My teenaged Nieces and nephews dug it though.

Finally watched it..  it was very dull. Going in I had wanted them to focus on as few characters as possible and have the tournament not even feature.., well they did, unfortunately they picked the wrong character.... the Sub-zero vs Scorpion story was legitimately great, its the highlight of the film and bookends it perfectly (fooling folks into thinking the film was better than it was)...

Everything in between is just bad..Coles actor did fine.. but Shang Tsung, Raiden, and Kung Lao were all terrible... no charisma.

The biggest problem though is the fights (those not involving subzero and scorpion).... If your story is bad then it should be worth enduring to get to the fights... unfortunately thats not the case here... No complaints on fatalities but the fights are too “powers” oriented as such they dont flow or tell a story.... they are not memorable in any way.

Im glad they chose “mostly” expendable characters to kill off in this one.. I do hope they continue and make another

56 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Im glad they chose “mostly” expendable characters to kill off in this one.. I do hope they continue and make another

They didn't really kill off anyone that people care about. Nobody cares about Nitara. Kung Lao and Kabal will be back as their zombie selves, like in the games. Kano will be back, but with a cybernetic eyeball. Mileena is already a clone anyway, so we can just get another one pop up.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

The whole "mark" and "arcana" aspects of the film were totally unnecessary. I don't remember characters needing to unlock their arcanas/powers in the games? 

It was made up for the movie to make up a reason why they can shoot fireballs instead of just accepting that they can just do it.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Isn't Scorpion, like, a demon literally? Is he not an antagonist in this?

Someone correct me if my brain done broke here, but...

He's a demon in search of revenge against Bi Han and the rest of the Lin Kuei who murdered everyone in Scorpion's own clan, similar to what happened in the movies. In the games, if I remember my Mortal Kombat well, Scorpion basically sells his soul to a demon necromancer in order to get his revenge on Subzero. In exchange for life as a demon asking revenge, he'll help conquer Earthrealm.

In this movie we get Bi Han killing off the Shirai Ryu and Scorpion as a resurrected demon, but we never delve into the stuff with Quan Chi. I would assume a sequel would be about Scorpion working for Quan Chi to conquer Earthrealm now that he's gotten his revenge.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Someone correct me if my brain done broke here, but...

He's a demon in search of revenge against Bi Han and the rest of the Lin Kuei who murdered everyone in Scorpion's own clan, similar to what happened in the movies. In the games, if I remember my Mortal Kombat well, Scorpion basically sells his soul to a demon necromancer in order to get his revenge on Subzero. In exchange for life as a demon asking revenge, he'll help conquer Earthrealm.

In this movie we get Bi Han killing off the Shirai Ryu and Scorpion as a resurrected demon, but we never delve into the stuff with Quan Chi. I would assume a sequel would be about Scorpion working for Quan Chi to conquer Earthrealm now that he's gotten his revenge.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, he a vengeful spectre who usually collab's with some of the major villains.  Tbh MK lore is a pretty big blank spot in my brain.  I'm going through MK9 right now as a refresher. I heard he

Spoiler

teams up with Cole at the end so wasn't sure where he stood in that adaptation. 

I should probably go ahead and watch it soon lol.

25 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, he a vengeful spectre who usually collab's with some of the major villains.  Tbh MK lore is a pretty big blank spot in my brain.  I'm going through MK9 right now as a refresher. I heard he

Hide contents

teams up with Cole at the end so wasn't sure where he stood in that adaptation. 

I should probably go ahead and watch it soon lol.

Cole is his son so yeah they team up.