Mortal Kombat reboot

I saw this with the wife last night, we've both seen all the other MK media stuff for the most part so we went in wanting to enjoy it. We came out thinking it was "good enough". My wife seemed to enjoy it more than I did. I'd give it a 6/10. It's well shot and well scored and directed, the story just isn't there. And having no actual tournament was really missing the point. That said, the actors seemed committed and the fight scenes were enjoyable enough. I like the original 1995 film more, it was more fun, ultimately. The webseries remains the best live-action iteration so far. 

Also:

Spoiler

Not making Cole Young secretly be Kuai Liang was a really missed opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I saw this with the wife last night, we've both seen all the other MK media stuff for the most part so we went in wanting to enjoy it. We came out thinking it was "good enough". My wife seemed to enjoy it more than I did. I'd give it a 6/10. It's well shot and well scored and directed, the story just isn't there. And having no actual tournament was really missing the point. That said, the actors seemed committed and the fight scenes were enjoyable enough. I like the original 1995 film more, it was more fun, ultimately. The webseries remains the best live-action iteration so far. 

Also:

Hide contents

Not making Cole Young secretly be Kuai Liang was a really missed opportunity. 

they really dropped the ball regarding your spoiler. was hoping they would do that. 

I watched this. It was incredibly okay. It's hard to even work up the strength to form a strong opinion.

Making the lead some new guy seems weird.

Honestly, the best part was I watched it at a friends house who I used to play a lot of MK with way back in the day. We both knew it was gonna be bad, but we had a great time. It was the first time I had set foot in another person's house in 14 months!?!!

6 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Did you forget the part of the movie where Jax’s arcana was somewhat better metal arms?  What if sub zero never shattered his regular arms, would his arcana have ripped them off anyway?  

the tiny arms were dumb but you make a new character and that’s what they come up with? terrible. 

57 minutes ago, Joe said:

What even was it? A chest plate and shitty weapons? They really could have done some cool shit with him being Scorpion’s heir and they shit the bed.

That's what makes it suck so much. New character and that's the best they come up with? I'm with @Greatoneshere. Make him an unknown heir to Subzero's clan. Nothing else about the movie really needs to change, except now he has ice powers to save his family instead of punching them back to life. Once he's killed, you still have a Subzero for the movies while being free to introduce Noob.

I swear that's the direction they were going in at one point. Like, they spent WAY too much time zoomed in on the scar Kung Lao gave Cole. I was almost convinced that was the direction they were going until I saw the slash hit his arm and not his face.

That said, the movie was stupid fun. I had some in-laws over and we quite enjoyed it. A solid brainless/10 for me.

Yeah....so I was prepared to stretch a lot to love this. But what the fuck was that. Why is the accountant from the Dark Knight playing Shang Tsung when the original dude is still alive. Shang Tsung was originally and old guy anyway. Who the fuck is this brand new guy whose trying to punch his wife out of the ice while the fight is still going on? Why is Liu Kang king of an idiot? Jesus Christ has the success of Marvel taught them nothing? You don’t try and make ridiculous IPs make sense and work in a real setting. You lean all the way into them and people will love them for that. Stupid ass movie. 

17 hours ago, johnny said:

the tiny arms were dumb but you make a new character and that’s what they come up with? terrible. 

Trying to come up with a new, meaningful power for a character in a series that’s been as long and as iconic as MK is a nightmare assignment.  It’s like giving someone the task of writing a Mario movie and they need to come up with a new plumber.  Good fucking luck.  

With Jax they have an established character with a defined endpoint, the guy gets super jacked robot arms.  Forget the fact that unleashing a magical superpower and robot arms should be unrelated, the man’s unlocked secret power is by coincidence a minor upgrade over something he already has by accident?  If he was in a wheelchair would he get tank treads instead?

What makes it worse is Sonya Blade is right fucking there.  They write a bullshit notion into the film about killing one of the select few and suddenly taking their place out of nowhere all so Sonya can get her pink rings after not being special enough.  Just make Jax the normal one and suddenly he can compete with these people because Raiden’s homies have great prosthetic technology.  Instead the movie pulls a third act macguffin out of its ass.

11 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah....so I was prepared to stretch a lot to love this. But what the fuck was that. Why is the accountant from the Dark Knight playing Shang Tsung when the original dude is still alive. Shang Tsung was originally and old guy anyway. Who the fuck is this brand new guy whose trying to punch his wife out of the ice while the fight is still going on? Why is Liu Kang king of an idiot? Jesus Christ has the success of Marvel taught them nothing? You don’t try and make ridiculous IPs make sense and work in a real setting. You lean all the way into them and people will love them for that. Stupid ass movie. 

On 4/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, Mercury33 said:

Keep your unwarranted negativity to yourself. Booo this man. Booooooooo

The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 2

I watched it last night and found it entertaining. I agree with most people's complaints about it, but liked it anyway. They definitely could have done better with Cole but he was alight. My biggest complaint was the lack of background provided. It's supposed to be a prequel film to the tournament to set it up, but it did lousy with that. We meet this character named Shang Tsung, but who is he? He seemed pretty important, but no information is given on him. Everyone, even Raiden seemed afraid of him, but why? Fans of the game know, but it would have been nice to have that included.

One of my favorite parts from the movie was the low kick bit on Kano. :lol:

other than that the it was fine. The two Scorpion and SubZero fights were good. Every time Cole’s daughter said a line I was like “that’s it? You didn’t want another take?” She sounded like she was at a table read. lol 

but it was nothing I wasn’t ready for. I was expecting it to be about as good as the original with better special effects, and it in some ways it was better. At least everyone looked like they could fight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Speaking of Gareth Evans, any of you jamooks watching Gangs of London on AMC? @Greatoneshere talked about this last year and its an amazing show.

I believe I caught a bit of the first episode after watching something else. Guy lights a another guy hanging upside down on fire because he saw the getaway car for the guy who killed his father, right? It was late so I didn't want to stay up any later and watch it, but sounds like it's worth catching up on it based on what you're saying.