Mortal Kombat reboot

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Shit, he COULD be Johnny Cage. They could have decided to make Cage Asian. Johnny Cage was always his screen name I believe.

A lot of people online (myself included) said that if he's not Kuai Liang they better make him Johnny Cage. I do believe Johnny Cage was his acting name so it's very do-able. One or the other filmmakers, just don't make him generic random POV character for the story!

4 hours ago, johnny said:

i couldn’t tell you one overwatch or tekken character. WTF at that comparison lol 

Living in a cultural bubble might have its perks I guess, but it's baffling to me that anyone with basic interest of video games wouldn't recognize Heihachi and Tracer alone and that's just going on popularity-level, not appreciation of inspired character designs.

Tbf I'll concede that Street Fighter might've been better for that comparison, but whatever.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Overwatch too

Maybe? Tell the truth I haven't played it in half a decade so I don't know. It definitely seemed as well-known as Fortnite...before Fortnite.  It was also a hit mostly because of the characters, character design, etc.

EDIT: Wait, unless you mean the toxic fandom? If so, can't argure with that.  Boomer moment. Based on what I've read a lot of overwatch fans nowadays are definitely teens and adults with the emotional maturity of children if nothing else

It is sad but the sheer popularity of Overwatch, Apex Legends, Fortnite, and PUBG means certain characters from some of those games are ubiquitous among certain age groups and demographics, particularly multiplayer and casual gamers. I mean fucking DOTA is getting an anime on Netflix. The times, they are a-changin' and "hardcore" gamers like us will always be niche. Hell, for the Call of Duty crowd characters like Ghost and Captain Price are more popular and iconic to them than MK. 

I would never have made that comparison, but in a popularity sense, it does make sense. I don't think those games are old enough yet to have the iconic status of MK or Street Fighter (or even Tekken) so the comparison is still a bit unwarranted, but we do live in a video game bubble on this forum to a degree.

• Like 1

Fuck it, I'm doubling down.  Overwatch characters definitely WERE iconic recently, but yes, have become far less so in the mind of the audience due to Apex, Fortnite, poor community rep, and all the time passed since its release.  We won't know for sure until a sequel comes out and it becomes a franchise and how that plays out over time, if it actually does. If not, then of course the character roster in a one-off multiplayer title will end up like Team Fortress did at the time of Overwatch's release. And regardless of how popular it is, Overwatch is still a game that's known primarily for the quality of character designs.  Does that mean they're objectively the best in the biz and there's not room for improvement, no, but none of what I'm saying is untrue.

But if anyone's not trolling (which you guys most likely are) and is genuinely like "Overwatch? Tekken?  Never heard of 'em?" you're either in a bubble inside a bubble, or have the memory capacity of a bedbug. 

So yeah, maybe not the best example, but still not a terrible one. SO THERE, gosh.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah and you and all the other jerks who like to shit on DOTA ignored that thread. :cry:

I haven't played DOTA since it was a custom match game in Warcraft 3 multiplayer. I never played it once it was spun-off into its own game so I have little interest in an anime adaptation of it. If it's good I'll watch it, I'll wait for word of mouth.

I did enjoy DOTA matches a lot though when I played it as a part of Warcraft 3, though the constant revisions and changes and different versions eventually made the entire game feel nerfed to me and I moved on from Warcraft 3 multiplayer eventually anyway. 

14 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Fuck it, I'm doubling down.  Overwatch characters definitely WERE iconic recently, but yes, have become far less so in the mind of the audience due to Apex, Fortnite and all the time that's passed since its release.  We won't know for sure until a sequel comes out and it becomes a franchise and how that plays out over time. If not, then of course the character roster in a one-off multiplayer title will end up like Team Fortress at the time of Overwatch's release. And regardless of how popular it is, Overwatch is still a game that's known primarily for the quality of character designs.  Des that mean they're objectively the best in the biz and there's not room for improvement, hell no, but none of what I'm saying is untrue.

But if anyone's not trolling (which you guys most likely are) and is genuinely like "Overwatch? Tekken?  Never heard of 'em?" you're either in a bubble inside a bubble, or have the memory capacity of a bedbug. 

So yeah, maybe not the best example, but still not a terrible one. SO THERE, gosh.

I don't know about iconic but Overwatch characters are very popular, they are at least around fan art communities. There was a time when they even advertised it on TV so I'm sure some people are familiar with how they look, at least early characters like Winston, Tracer, Mercy, etc.

Tekken, a great game but man some of the worst names in fighting games. I do agree that Heihachi should be at the forefront of most people's minds when Tekken is mentioned. Heck he is even in Astro's Playroom which all the ponies here jizzed over.

But you are right, you should have gone with street fighter because it was basically the first mainstream fighting game. Mortal Kombat was essentially the second which is why people are saying this movie is a big deal.

• Thanks 1

And segueing back to my original point about the movie: If the currently unknown character is some rando that has nothing to do with the video game series instead of the many beloved characters to choose from, it's a bad game-to-movie-adaptation movie trope that adds nothing of value to the story imho. If they're a character from the games reintroduced in an interesting way to revitalize the martial arts tournament movie formula or something else that's unexpected and pays off, I'm all for it. Round over, I'm logging off now. :p

43 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't played DOTA since it was a custom match game in Warcraft 3 multiplayer. I never played it once it was spun-off into its own game so I have little interest in an anime adaptation of it. If it's good I'll watch it, I'll wait for word of mouth.

I did enjoy DOTA matches a lot though when I played it as a part of Warcraft 3, though the constant revisions and changes and different versions eventually made the entire game feel nerfed to me and I moved on from Warcraft 3 multiplayer eventually anyway. 

You should play with me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You should play with me.

That's actually pretty sweet of ya to say, but my time is pretty tight these days and I don't really play multiplayer games unless it's with my two younger bros at their request. Do you still play? Are you interested in the anime? Is it still DOTA 2 or are they on to DOTA 3 or something?

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Do you still play?

I do. Check out my amazing stats. I know you want to play with a pro like me. :p

https://www.dotabuff.com/players/1951157

Also maybe if @osxmatt jumps in it could sweeten the pot and it will be like playing with two of your brothers!

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Are you interested in the anime?

I never thought there would be an anime, so I can't say I was interested in one. That being said I'll probably watch it.

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Is it still DOTA 2 or are they on to DOTA 3 or something?

It's still a thing. The DPC thing is going on still. There have been a lot of huge patches that keep the game fresh and different and they are still adding new heroes to the game.

Remember this thread you conveniently avoided? It pretty much shows a pretty big rework of the game.

• Thanks 1

Yeah that Overwatch and Tekken comparison ain’t it haha.  Remember when MK was released it was THE MOST TALKED ABOUT GAME IN THE WORLD because of the blood and fatality controversy. The characters have been around for almost 30 years. It is/was a part of pop culture in a way those other games can only dream of being. The characters aren’t just famous they’re infamous. I’m not sure they’re quite on the level of Mario/Sonic/Pikachu but probably a tier below them. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah that Overwatch and Tekken comparison ain’t it haha.  Remember when MK was released it was THE MOST TALKED ABOUT GAME IN THE WORLD because of the blood and fatality controversy. The characters have been around for almost 30 years. It is/was a part of pop culture in a way those other games can only dream of being. The characters aren’t just famous they’re infamous. I’m not sure they’re quite on the level of Mario/Sonic/Pikachu but probably a tier below them. 

There was a Congressional hearing about Mortal Kombat. The series has spawned movies and comic books and a Saturday morning cartoon for some wild and crazy reason. Scorpion and Sub-Zero have also been choice option for cheap Halloween costumes for kids for the last thirty years.

Yeah, I wouldn't put them at Mario/Sonic/Pikachu levels of fame, but just a half step below that is fine. This is particular true for the US, where Mortal Kombat has about as much cultural awareness as even, perhaps, Zelda, Megaman, and Pac-Man. If you go to Walmart and check out what mini arcade cabinets they normally carry in stores, it's usually Pac-Man, Centipede, Space Invaders, and Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat isn't even in the same generation as those others, but it gets included nonetheless.

People overestimate the appeal of stuff they’re into and downplay the appeal of stuff they are not, it’s just human nature.

I wouldn’t recognize a single character from WoW, League, or Dota, but those characters are wildly popular.

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There was a Congressional hearing about Mortal Kombat. The series has spawned movies and comic books and a Saturday morning cartoon for some wild and crazy reason. Scorpion and Sub-Zero have also been choice option for cheap Halloween costumes for kids for the last thirty years.

Yeah, I wouldn't put them at Mario/Sonic/Pikachu levels of fame, but just a half step below that is fine. This is particular true for the US, where Mortal Kombat has about as much cultural awareness as even, perhaps, Zelda, Megaman, and Pac-Man. If you go to Walmart and check out what mini arcade cabinets they normally carry in stores, it's usually Pac-Man, Centipede, Space Invaders, and Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat isn't even in the same generation as those others, but it gets included nonetheless.

Mega Man is kinda of a good example of this, in that I don’t think it’s likely that people who don’t play games or live with someone who does would have a clue about who he is... there are only 6 Mega Man games in Capcom’s best selling 100 games, Lost Planet Extreme Edition sold better than Mega Man 2.

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I wouldn’t recognize a single character from ... Dota, but those characters are wildly popular.

Other than Pudge I wouldn't say that any dota character is wildly popular outside of the game. They're generic versions of Warcraft characters and thus really have no character themselves.

LoL on the other hand (like you mentioned) have tons of personality (and are wildly popular).

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Come on, Mom! God!

Being her Son maybe she could have picked up on some of the games I was playing, but it appears not. She never disappoints in this respect. She STILL* wouldn't be able to recognize a Metallica song if I asked her while it was playing. :p

*For context when we rode in the car and a song came on the radio, I'd ask her what song it was and she would never know, even after Metallica so many times. Then her first answer always turned into Metallica no matter what band it was. :doh:

• Haha 2

Update - I said she could google and she gave me these:

Street Fighter: Ryu

Mortal Kombat: Raiden

~ here's where things get interesting ~

Tekken: Kazuya Mishima

Overwatch: Zhenjiang

Some deep cuts from the google search 🤔

She did add she had NEVER heard of the Tekken or Overwatch games before.

So I guess that settles it!

30 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

We're talking about her biological kids though, not the ones she teaches! 

Well, to be fair Tekken would have been the only one I played around her really.

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter were more of a dad thing. I had a Genesis at my dad's house and on the occasional weekend I'd go down to the the mall where they had an arcade and MK was played there. I never played MK much myself. Also, I had no friends to play it with.

It wasn't until I got a Playstation that I got into fighting games (and Tekken) which I'd play at my mom's house. And my friends and I would play Tekken 3 a lot!

As for Overwatch I was moved out by then so, she's got an excuse. :p

• Like 1