Mortal Kombat reboot

Sanada and Taslim are great, that's true. Lewis Tan and Chin Han are really good, too. Max Huang has also done a lot of good stunt work. I was more focused on the people running the show. Like, unless they're basically letting the actors choreograph their own fights (which they might have), I just don't see how it all comes together.

Movies about fighting should be done by people (or at least be heavily guided by people) who have a background in movie fights.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Sanada and Taslim are great, that's true. Lewis Tan and Chin Han are really good, too. Max Huang has also done a lot of good stunt work. I was more focused on the people running the show. Like, unless they're basically letting the actors choreograph their own fights (which they might have), I just don't see how it all comes together.

Movies about fighting should be done by people (or at least be heavily guided by people) who have a background in movie fights.

I'm looking at the credits for the stunt team and fight coordination team and they seem pretty solid. The movie will be fine with the fights. Its everything else that's in question.

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Damn. @Fizzzzle with a terrible take with which @skillzdadirectadelivered a stunning Fatality. @Fizzzzle tried a clever back tracking escape move but NOPE!! DOUBLE FATALITY by @skillzdadirecta

Hey, it's all in a playful FRIENDSHIP until ya'll be getting all BABALITY up in here (yep that whole thing did not go as smoothly as I had envisioned it in my head)

Seriously though, I was highly skeptical all things considered. While I am wavering with cautious optimism, I cannot help but being totally hyped for this to the point of RIGIDITY!

• Haha 1

Seems ok so far. The only thing that sucks...and it REALLY sucks...is the idea of making a superfluous new character for the story to revolve around. This is the kind of trope you ALWAYS see in bad video game adaptations and for that reason alone I'm fairly sure this will not be very good.

5 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Seems ok so far. The only thing that sucks...and it REALLY sucks...is the idea of making a superfluous new character for the story to revolve around. This is the kind of trope you ALWAYS see in bad video game adaptations and for that reason alone I'm fairly sure this will not be very good.

Is that the "Cole" character? MK9 is the only MK game I've played much since the 90's, so I didn't know if that was just a newer character.

I don't know, the fact that they're only now releasing the trailer and advertising this when it comes out in a couple of months doesn't exactly fill me with confidence this will be good. WB might smell a turd in the room. Obviously I hope it's good, and not it's so bad it's good, but actually good. 

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Is that the "Cole" character? MK9 is the only MK game I've played much since the 90's, so I didn't know if that was just a newer character.

Could be wrong, but I looked it up and he seems to be a new character specific to the movie.

The MK series is up there with Overwatch and Tekken as having arguably the most iconic and interesting characters in the medium. How the fuck is any screenwriter's first thought "none of these characters are interesting enough to be a protagonist" lmao

EDIT: I guess it's possible there could be a twist at the end revealing them as one of the iconic characters...but why?

7 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Could be wrong, but I looked it up and he seems to be a new character specific to the movie.

The MK series is up there with Overwatch and Tekken as having arguably the most iconic and interesting characters in the medium. How the fuck is any screenwriter's first thought "none of these characters are interesting enough to be a protagonist" lmao

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

About as much labor for somebody to realize that I'm saying that Soldier76 and Eddy Gordo aren't iconic nor are they interesting.

K. An opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I disgree! 

Also it seems difficult to prove that MK, Overwatch and to a lesser extent Tekken characters aren't objectively well recognized and well received for the most part (both. within and beyond gaming culture), which was my point :sun:

2 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Also, Kevin Tancharoen was who I was thinking of who was behind the Legacy series. Why wasn't he brought on board for this project, as he was more or less responsible for bringing back serious interest in a new MK film in the first place!?

Kevin Tancharoen was going to make a film - but it was cancelled at the same time his season 3 for Mortal Kombat: Legacy web series was also unceremoniously cancelled. No one knows what happened.

Also, I believe this "new character for the film" is a twist - people are suggesting he's Kuai Liang given the heavy emphasis on the Sub-Zero storyline for this film. In fact, I had assumed the POV character was Kuai Liang until people were complaining the movie is centered on a "nobody". I think it's pretty obvious he's not just a nobody, but a "discovering himself" story arc. 

Just now, heydude93 said:

Overwatch and MK characters are iconic enough that even tons of conservative grandparents recognize them.  In addition to being warmly received by reviewers and fans, they've transcended being popular in just a gaming medium to having wider pop culture significance, like Mario and Master Chief.  I think it would be very difficult to disprove this, but if you're up to it, go for it. 

Tekken, not having popular movies, shows or novels, is maybe not as much, but since the mid 90's their approach to character designs are universally beloved in gaming as well, regardless of some occasional missteps.  This is more or less quantifiable, regardless of your personal opinions, though you're still entitled to them of course. :sun:

Normally I'd say "I'm not the one that has to do the proving or disproving. You're making the claim so the onus is on you to prove it." But I just conducted a little experiment for this conversation's sake.

Question: Are Overwatch characters part of the cultural milieu outside of video games?

Hypothesis: No. Most of my friends and family aren't gamers and I've never heard Overwatch discussion among them. Unlike other video games.

Prediction: My wife, who is not a gamer, and who has seen me play Overwatch plenty of times over the years, will not be able to recognize an Overwatch character.

Experiment: Show her an Overwatch character (the most-picked one on PC according to this site, at that) and ask her to name the character and/or what game they are from. To my non-shock, she could not name Ana, and she couldn't say that she recognized the character from something. I told her she's from Overwatch. "Oh."

I didn't stop there, however. I took this question to my friends who are gamers on our small Discord server. Here are the results from the seven of us who play games with some frequency:

spacer.png

Now, I expected the guy on there who I've played Overwatch with before to be able to answer that and he did. But I thought I'd get at least one more that could recognize her. I didn't.

Note, I am not saying that Overwatch isn't popular or a behemoth in the industry. I'm not even saying the game itself isn't recognizable to some degree among non-gamers. I fucking love the game. But it's characters absolutely are not icons. My wife and friends recognize Mario and Master Chief and Scorpion. 100%. Those are icons.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Normally I'd say "I'm not the one that has to do the proving or disproving. You're making the claim so the onus is on you to prove it." But I just conducted a little experiment for this conversation's sake.

Question: Are Overwatch characters part of the cultural milieu outside of video games?

Hypothesis: No. Most of my friends and family aren't gamers and I've never heard Overwatch discussion among them. Unlike other video games.

Prediction: My wife, who is not a gamer, and who has seen me play Overwatch plenty of times over the years, will not be able to recognize an Overwatch character.

Experiment: Show her an Overwatch character (the most-picked one on PC according to this site, at that) and ask her to name the character and/or what game they are from. To my non-shock, she could not name Ana, and she couldn't say that she recognized the character from something. I told her she's from Overwatch. "Oh."

I didn't stop there, however. I took this question to my friends who are gamers on our small Discord server. Here are the results from the seven of us who play games with some frequency:

spacer.png

Now, I expected the guy on there who I've played Overwatch with before to be able to answer that and he did. But I thought I'd get at least one more that could recognize her. I didn't.

Note, I am not saying that Overwatch isn't popular or a behemoth in the industry. I'm not even saying the game itself isn't recognizable to some degree among non-gamers. I fucking love the game. But it's characters absolutely are not icons. My wife and friends recognize Mario and Master Chief and Scorpion. 100%. Those are icons.

Nice quantitative analysis, bruh :p

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pretty sure Lewis Tan's character is an existing character in a different form as @Greatoneshere mentioned. I was guessing he's some form of Kung Lao.

I don't know the newer MK games' mythology so I could be wrong in terms of multiple "forms" existing at once, but OG Kung Lao's in the trailer, played by Max Huang. So unless there are multiple Kung Lao's? I don't remember. Kuai Liang seems more likely. :)

2 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Is Kuai Liang Sub-Zero's younger brother in the games? In retrospect the film based on the trailer definitely seems like it could be setting up that twist.  Alright, I'm invested again.

That's the word on the street at least. It makes a lot of sense if they go that route given the heavy emphasis on Sub-Zero in the trailer and plot. Lewis Tan and Joe Taslim (who plays Sub-Zero) could very well pass for brothers too, so it's possible.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ah, I missed Kung Lao in the trailer and I'm not up on the lore of Mortal Kombat... you're probably right about it being Sub Zero's brother.

Watch it just be some guy named Cole Young throughout. It will be such a missed opportunity if so. :lol:

They should do the twist now though, at least as an end-credits stinger, if they haven't planned this "twist" from the start. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Could always be a DLC character for the game... They are always adding new characters.

Cole Young . . . the half-Asian younger brother of Johnny Cage (for some reason, thanks to that name)!

I will say, the lack of Cage in this movie is a little saddening for me. He was one of the best parts of the games and the first movie (he was also enjoyable in the web series).