Mortal Kombat reboot

https://screenrant.com/mortal-kombat-reboot-james-wan-2021-release/

Earlier this week it was revealed that pre-production on Mortal Kombat would start this month and a filming location of Australia was announced, but a release date was also just revealed.

First reported by Deadline, Mortal Kombat will be released on March 5, 2021.  With this specific release date, Mortal Kombat will see competition from the live-action Masters of the Universe, which recieved the same release date just a few days ago. Both films will also go head to head with Nimona, an animated adaptation of the comic book series of the same name.

Fans still have a few more years until Mortal Kombat hits the big screen, but it's reassuring that the project seems to be moving forward now that it has a set release date. Wan has been busy the past few years with Aquaman and producing a plethora of horror movies, but it looks like he'll be focusing on Mortal Kombat soon. It's always possible that Mortal Kombat could be delayed if the pieces don't fall into place, or could even be moved up if Wan and Warner Bros. are inspired by a certain story. For the time being, fans will just have to stay patient and await more news, while of course beating opponents to a bloody pulp in Mortal Kombat 11.

I'm looking forward to this with James Wan producing and Simon McQuoid directing.

56 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'll be curious to see what they do with casting. It'll be amusing to see if they try to whitewash many of the characters after the games finally started being more true to everyone's ethnicities.

I was thinking the same thing. 

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Kinda weird that they haven't yet released a trailer for a movie coming in a couple months' time.

kind of there with you, but with Covid and theatres being open or not has really held back the movie trailers until late. Kong Vs Godzilla trailer just came out last week and that shit hits theatres/HBO Max in 2 months now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I like what I saw and actually look forward to this reboot. The SFX have come such a long way from the original, and the gore looks perfect. 

I do miss Lambert as Raiden, but I assume he would need to fight in this movie. Sadly he is older and has been legally blind for years too. At least they didn’t bring back Dexter’s dad to replace him. 

What I said in the other thread:

Sadly both the writer and director are completely untested - with no IMDb credits to their names. That's not usually a good sign. I'm a big Mortal Kombat fan and I was sad to see Mortal Kombat: Legacy (the excellent web series) get cancelled right before they started shooting season 3, and that the film Kevin Tancharoen (the creator of the web series) was going to make also got cancelled when he'd proven he would make something good due to the web series.

Instead, we're getting this, from completely untested writers (Greg Russo = untested writer; Dave Callaham = bad writer) and director (Simon McQuoid). The composer, Benjamin Wallfisch, is great; and the cinematographer, Germain McMicking is also great (did excellent episodes of Top of the Lake and True Detective, among others). I want this to be good, but typically when credits go this way the film doesn't turn out very well. The posters look cool at least. 

That trailer actually looked . . . good! I think it's really helping them that the composer and cinematographer are really good because that looked better than it had any right to. I'm at least intrigued. I still suggest everyone watch the Mortal Kombat: Rebirth short that spawned the Mortal Kombat: Legacy web series, which you should also watch (though they are not connected in terms of story).

• Thanks 1

Looks fun... Honestly I was more intrigued by the begining of the trailer before all of the actual "Mortal Kombat" elements came into play. Action should be good as there are some pretty decent martial artists involved in this playing some of the key roles. 

7 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm curious why Mortal Kombat, of all video game properties, is getting another movie. It's going to be dumb, it's just not clear from that trailer if it's going to be fun. At least it'll be on HBO Max if I get curious.

Mortal Kombat is a HUGE brand outisde of videogame circles. It was one of the first games that brought videogame violence to the mainstream as an issue and as such has HUGE name recognition. Its already spawned two movies, a TV show and a cartoon and is very much a part of the 90's zeitgeist.  I worked on some stuff for their 25th anniversary a couple of years ago. The property is HUGE.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Mortal Kombat is a HUGE brand outisde of videogame circles. It was one of the first games that brought videogame violence to the mainstream as an issue and as such has HUGE name recognition. Its already spawned two movies, a TV show and a cartoon and is very much a part of the 90's zeitgeist.  I worked on some stuff for their 25th anniversary a couple of years ago. The property is HUGE.

I grew up playing it in arcades and at home, and while I'm aware of the movies, I guess I didn't realize it's popularity. I know the recent game sold well, but nothing that would indicate to me that it has some outsized audience. TIL I guess.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

I grew up playing it in arcades and at home, and while I'm aware of the movies, I guess I didn't realize it's popularity. I know the recent game sold well, but nothing that would indicate to me that it has some outsized audience. TIL I guess.

Its about brand recognition. A LOT of adults grew up playing Mortal Kombat... I'd argue that at least in the U.S., it has eclipsed Street Fighter as in popularity outside of gaming circles. Its pretty big... I didn't realize myself how big it was until I worked on that 25th anniversary project.

This seems like the perfect movie where you'd want the director to be someone with a background in stunt coordination and fight choreography, like Wilson Yip. Hell, Donnie Yen would have probably jumped all over this if he got to play Shang Tsung or something. Looking at the cast & crew, it's like no one has a background in stunts or fighting, in a movie that is 90% stunts and fighting. Even their stunt coordinator, while experienced, hasn't really done anything that makes you go "oh, wow, that was awesome."

I don't see this ending well.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

This seems like the perfect movie where you'd want the director to be someone with a background in stunt coordination and fight choreography, like Wilson Yip. Hell, Donnie Yen would have probably jumped all over this if he got to play Shang Tsung or something. Looking at the cast & crew, it's like no one has a background in stunts or fighting, in a movie that is 90% stunts and fighting. Even their stunt coordinator, while experienced, hasn't really done anything that makes you go "oh, wow, that was awesome."

Sanada & Taslim are exceptional!

Also, Kevin Tancharoen was who I was thinking of who was behind the Legacy series. Why wasn't he brought on board for this project, as he was more or less responsible for bringing back serious interest in a new MK film in the first place!?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Wut? Joe Taslim is in it playing Sub Zero... He was in The RAID for crying out loud

and is also on Warrior. Here's one of his fights

He is a GREAT on screen fighter.

Hiroyuki Sanada is also a great martial arts actor (and a great actor period) and he's playing Scorpion been in abunch of shit... The Wolverine, The Last Samurai

Lewis Tan is ALSO a great Martial arts actor and fighter and has one of the best fight scenes from Into The Badlands

BTW the kid he's fighting at the end is Tommen from Game of Thrones 

That's THREE of the main cast who are accomplished screen fighters and martial artists. One thing I'm sure of that will be good in this IS the fight scenes. Also James Wan is producing so that alone gives me faith that this will be decent. Ed Boon is involved too.

• Like 1