Star Trek: Picard officially announced (yes, that's the name)

58 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I'm sad that Stewart's Faustian bargain of looking the same age for 30+ years in exchange for looking middle aged at 35 has finally come to an end. 

High collars are in apparently post-Nemesis

WLLIni4.jpg

The man is in his 80's. 

Im just glad he's getting one last fling with Picard. 

I'm just excited to see something post-Nemesis in the timeline. I'm not a "trekkie" in the sense that I can throw out mad trivia, but I love the universe(s) and Nemesis (as far as I know) takes place the furthest in the future and we've never gone past it. Kelvin Trek is in a new timeline in the past, Enterprise & Discovery both prequels...I'm curious to see a little further ahead in the Trek timeline. 

10 minutes ago, elbobo said:

technically the first couple of minutes of ST2009 take place post-Nemesis in the prime timeline so the destruction of Romulus should still be a thing in ST:Picard

That's basically the only thing the producers have confirmed about the series, that Romulus has been destroyed and it will play a part in the storyline. Oh, and Picard is no longer in Starfleet.

15 minutes ago, elbobo said:

technically the first couple of minutes of ST2009 take place post-Nemesis in the prime timeline so the destruction of Romulus should still be a thing in ST:Picard

And Kurtzman was a co-writer for 2009.

On 5/16/2019 at 3:34 PM, TheRealSmallville said:

I'm just excited to see something post-Nemesis in the timeline. I'm not a "trekkie" in the sense that I can throw out mad trivia, but I love the universe(s) and Nemesis (as far as I know) takes place the furthest in the future and we've never gone past it. Kelvin Trek is in a new timeline in the past, Enterprise & Discovery both prequels...I'm curious to see a little further ahead in the Trek timeline. 

Discovery isn’t a prequel anymore.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:34 PM, TheRealSmallville said:

Star Trek Online takes place post Nemesis too. Though I guess it remains to be seen if they retcon any of the story elements in the game with the show. The way they have handled Star Trek in the past was the only true cannon is what’s in a tv show or movie. Based on the timeline they are shooting for, this show could have no impact on events in STO. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Star Trek Online takes place post Nemesis too. Though I guess it remains to be seen if they retcon any of the story elements in the game with the show. The way they have handled Star Trek in the past was the only true cannon is what’s in a tv show or movie. Based on the timeline they are shooting for, this show could have no impact on events in STO. 

I miss playing STO but i didn't want to start all over on PS 4 and i won't be able to get a new PC anytime soon.

11 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm going to fucking pay for this stupid fucking streaming service, aren't I?

They don't seem to be playing the game of not having the complete catalog up at once, so you can wait and binge on the fee for one month. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm going to fucking pay for this stupid fucking streaming service, aren't I?

believe-it.gif

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

They don't seem to be playing the game of not having the complete catalog up at once, so you can wait and binge on the fee for one month. 

Or even use a free trial. I waited until now to binge GoT and I managed to watch the entire series for free :D

16 minutes ago, elbobo said:

teaser that was pulled from youtube very quickly for some reason

https://streamable.com/dy8fy

Are the things they're referencing ("the greatest rescue armada in history", "the unimaginable") from Star Trek: Nemesis or something else? I don't recall the end of that film very well, just that Data sacrifices himself for Picard.

5 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Are the things they're referencing ("the greatest rescue armada in history", "the unimaginable") from Star Trek: Nemesis or something else? I don't recall the end of that film very well, just that Data sacrifices himself for Picard.

The one detail about the series we've known for a while is that it will take about 15 years after Nemesis and the destruction of Romulus as depicted in Star Trek 2009 will be part of the story. 

My guess would be that, judging by the trailer, Picard led a huge evacuation force during that destruction , and something happened at that time that made him quit Starfleet.

My first guess would be that some element of Starfleet(Section 31?) were trying to use the catastrophe to do something to the Romulans. Picard found out and became so disillusioned with Starfleet he quit.

7 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The one detail about the series we've known for a while is that it will take about 15 years after Nemesis and the destruction of Romulus as depicted in Star Trek 2009 will be part of the story. 

My guess would be that, judging by the trailer, Picard led a huge evacuation force during that destruction , and something happened at that time that made him quit Starfleet.

My first guess would be that some element of Starfleet(Section 31?) were trying to use the catastrophe to do something to the Romulans. Picard found out and became so disillusioned with Starfleet he quit.

Ok, so the assumption is that they're talking about things we haven't seen on screen, but are the direct results of things we did. That makes sense, giving them more freedom to set things up the way they want to.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Ok, so the assumption is that they're talking about things we haven't seen on screen, but are the direct results of things we did. That makes sense, giving them more freedom to set things up the way they want to.

I had to look it up because it involves the reboots(which I generally can't stand so I only watched once).

Star Trek 2009 took place in an alternate timeline to explain the wild variations in canon. But also included Prime Spock as part of the storyline. 

So, other than time travel episodes, this is the last detail we have about the prime universe. From what I've read if the star dates match up, then the destruction of Romulus takes place in 2387, about 8 years after the events of Nemesis(which, itself, is the last full movie/episode of the prime timeline we have gotten, with Voyager's finale having taken place about a year prior).

It makes sense that Spock would be trying to save Romulus, since the last we saw of him in s6 Unification left him on Romulus.

The scene from Star Trek 2009 doesn't give the impression of separate rescue missions, but it's vague enough that you can slot in a Picard led evacuation force without much trouble.

After looking it up, it sounds to me like there might even be a possibility that Section 31 orchestrated the Romulan star's supernova. Though, someone more familiar with Star Trek 2009 would know better if they state a more definitive alternate cause for it.

In Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges we got to see some of Section 31's machinations as it pertained to Romulus. While they were still our allies in the Dominion War Bashir had a memorable line, "This war isn't even over yet and you're already planning for the next one".

The whole Romulus being destroyed by a supernova is yet another JJ Abrams science bullshit moment. Unless Romulus' own star exploded, it would take a minimum of decades to centuries for the expanding material or even light/energy to reach Romulus. It's like how in The Force Awakens we can see planets in other solar systems in the sky being exploded. 

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

The whole Romulus being destroyed by a supernova is yet another JJ Abrams science bullshit moment. Unless Romulus' own star exploded, it would take a minimum of decades to centuries for the expanding material or even light/energy to reach Romulus. It's like how in The Force Awakens we can see planets in other solar systems in the sky being exploded. 

This supernova was especially threatening because of its ability to transform anything it contacted into energy, which increased its power and allowed it expand.

27 hours after stardate 64444.5, the Hobus star exploded, the effects propagating through subspace at multiwarp speeds, destroying the planets Romulus and Remus. On stardate 64471.6, Ambassador Spock, using the prototype ship Jellyfish equipped with red matter, created a black hole, absorbing the exploding star. (STO website: The Path to 2409; TOS movie, novelization & comic adaptation: Star Trek; ST comic: "Countdown")

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Hobus

51 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

But gravity only travels at the speed of light. So if this explosion was at warp speeds, then it wouldn't stop it. Also, only descrete objects can travel through warp since you need to curve space in front and flatten it behind the object. Unless JJ also changed the science behind warp bubbles.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, CitizenVectron said:

17 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

But gravity only travels at the speed of light. So if this explosion was at warp speeds, then it wouldn't stop it. Also, only descrete objects can travel through warp since you need to curve space in front and flatten it behind the object. Unless JJ also changed the science behind warp bubbles.

Star Trek Generations already manipulated how fast the blast wave of an exploded star takes to destroy everything within its own star system. And while I can’t remember specifically I would not be surprised if there are episodes of Star Trek before Trek 2009 that made it look like a star exploding would take out a solar system in minutes rather than years. But if not, we still have Generations doing it more than a decade earlier. 

• 2 weeks later...