Adobe Tells Users They Can Get Sued for Using Old Versions of Photoshop

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3xk3p/adobe-tells-users-they-can-get-sued-for-using-old-versions-of-photoshop

Adobe is warning some owners of its Creative Cloud software applications that they’re no longer allowed to use older versions of the software. It’s yet another example of how in the modern era, you increasingly don’t actually own the things you’ve spent your hard-earned money on.

“We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and and a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them,” Adobe said in the email. “Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties.”

In a controversial move, Adobe pivoted away from the standard software model to the cloud-based subscription model in 2013, resulting in notably higher revenues (and higher prices for customers). Dolby’s lawsuit accused Adobe of copyright violations related to how the licensing costs Adobe paid to Dolby would be calculated under this new model. 

I guess I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to use the newest versions of the software you’re subscribing to. Is there something missing in the newer editions?

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I guess I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to use the newest versions of the software you’re subscribing to. Is there something missing in the newer editions?

Legacy systems/processes may not work exactly as expected with newer, updated software. 

Also, when they say "two versions", do they mean major releases? Or minor updates? I can understand not using software that's over two years old, but sometimes the software is updated with minor updates rather frequently--the last thing I'm going to do is update software mid-project. 

2 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Also, when they say "two versions", do they mean major releases? Or minor updates? I can understand not using software that's over two years old, but sometimes the software is updated with minor updates rather frequently--the last thing I'm going to do is update software mid-project. 

They said two most recent major versions in the tweet response linked above.