Alabama Senate passes nation’s most restrictive abortion ban, which makes no exceptions for victims of rape and incest

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Again, I just thought it was weird a millionare pro athlete said it, and not some random Joe Smith, and I distinctly said it  didn't compare to carrying your rapists child to term. But you all skipped right passed all of that to get your outrage on. 

Why does it matter that he can lose millions? What does divorce have to do with rape?

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not even outraged, I’m more perplexed by how somebody arrives at the thought you expressed in response to the tweet.

P much. 

But it's just another example of Dodger being Dodger. His line of thinking on women's issues has always been like this. This is the guy who told me I should be reproducing. I can't quite articulate why he said what he did, but it's not out of the blue for him, given his history. 

ITT: We laugh at the idea of divorce being a financial burden, but are ok with aborting a fetus due to raising a child being a financial burden. 

I know that those two ideas were not discussed in the same context, I just think it's interesting. 

• Guillotine 2

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

P much. 

But it's just another example of Dodger being Dodger. His line of thinking on women's issues has always been like this. This is the guy who told me I should be reproducing. I can't quite articulate why he said what he did, but it's not out of the blue for him, given his history. 

I said you should be reproducing because you're smart, educated, married, and financially stable. The exact type of people we should be encouraging to have children, and no not because you're white like @SaysWho? wants to claim. But that was also years ago, and yes, it's a weird and creepy thing to say and I never should have said it. 

Also, sometimes I just get fucking bored of this board where it's all 90% agreement with each other and need some entertainment in my day. 

Just now, Dodger said:

I said you should be reproducing because you're smart, educated, married, and financially stable. The exact type of people we should be encouraging to have children, and no not because you're white like @SaysWho? wants to claim. But that was also years ago, and yes, it's a weird and creepy thing to say and I never should have said it. 

Also, sometimes I just get fucking bored of this board where it's all 90% agreement with each other and need some entertainment in my day. 

Like I said, it's just in line with everything else you say about women. 

7 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

ITT: We laugh at the idea of divorce being a financial burden, but are ok with aborting a fetus due to raising a child being a financial burden. 

I know that those two ideas were not discussed in the same context, I just think it's interesting. 

No one is discounting that divorce is a financial burden....but in no way is it relevant to the discussion here. 

Brandon McCarthy's wife is also a successful model. So she doesnt need to marry and divorce a rich baseball player to have money. Not to mention they have well over $50 million. $25 million ain't no financial burden.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

No one is discounting that divorce is a financial burden....but in no way is it relevant to the discussion here. 

It's relevant to the fact that women can use financial burden as a reason for having an abortion.  

EDIT:  I suppose a woman doesn't need a reason to have an abortion, because that is her right.  I definitely don't want to go down the road that Alabama or other states are currently going down.  I do think we  could live with having a more restrictive approach to abortion like what they have in a lot of European countries though. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

It's relevant to the fact that women can use financial burden as a reason for having an abortion.  

It's completely irrelevant. Abortion is a complex decision involving bodily autonomy. 

Sure, divorce can be a financial burden, but what's your solution? Outlaw divorce? 

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The tweet in question specifically calls out how there’s nothing to happen to a man that is the same as carrying a rapists child to term, because the Alabama law by design has no exceptions for rape. This is a different issue than fucking divorce and any analogy to the financial burden used to justify permitting abortions. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's completely irrelevant. Abortion is a complex decision involving bodily autonomy. 

Sure, divorce can be a financial burden, but what's your solution? Outlaw divorce? 

Off topic, but I don't believe the state should be involved in marriage, beyond recognizing it as a business contract between two (or more) people, and to help settle disputes - sort of like what the government already does for civil suits. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Off topic, but I don't believe the state should be involved in marriage, beyond recognizing it as a business contract between two (or more) people, and to help settle disputes - sort of like what the government already does for civil suits. 

You're right on one thing. It is off topic and has not a damn thing to do with a woman's right to control her own body and fucking rape. 

Good day, sir.

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

EDIT:  I suppose a woman doesn't need a reason to have an abortion, because that is her right.  I definitely don't want to go down the road that Alabama or other states are currently going down.  I do think we  could live with having a more restrictive approach to abortion like what they have in a lot of European countries though. 

I advocate going in the opposite direction.

The current societal/moral paradigm is that birth is the "default" and abortion is the "exception".  I advocate a societal/moral paradigm shift where abortion is the "default" and birth is the "exception".

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You're right on one thing. It is off topic and has not a damn thing to do with a woman's right to control her own body and fucking rape. 

Good day, sir.

Ugh.  I'm not advocating to outlaw abortion.  I hope people ITT understand that. 

• Like 1

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Ugh.  I'm not advocating to outlaw abortion.  I hope people ITT understand that. 

I didn't really think you were. I just think the entire idea of bringing up divorce in this thread is completely ridiculous and doesn't make an iota of sense. But you aren't the doofus who originally brought it up.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

So by this logic, we should outlaw divorce?

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

I advocate going in the opposite direction.

The current societal/moral paradigm is that birth is the "default" and abortion is the "exception".  I advocate a societal/moral paradigm shift where abortion is the "default" and birth is the "exception".

My feeling on that is similar to my feeling about restricting voting rights. In principle, I'm completely for restricting who can vote, but I don't think that can ever work out in practice without damaging levels of corruption or otherwise shitty management.

Same for restricting who can have kids. I just don't see it being something we'd be able to sensibly manage. The overpopulation issue is going to have to incur much larger costs before we reach the point where even an inevitably shitty policy is better than none. That day is pretty likely to eventually arrive, but we're not there yet.

34 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

I can't stand strawman tweets like that. It's quite literally 50/50 both men and women who are pro-life. The tweet would have done better to have gone the Democrat vs Republican route. Then it'd be overwhelmingly true.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Man of Culture said:

I can't stand strawman tweets like that. It's quite literally 50/50 both men and women who are pro-life. The tweet would have done better to have gone the Democrat vs Republican route. Then it'd be overwhelmingly true.

Idklol maybe they were just using two different emojis?