Breaking: First new Star Wars film to come from D&D (GoT showrunners), not Rian Johnson

This probably means the Rian trilogy won't get made.  I mean this Trilogy isn't going to be finished until 2026... so a new trilogy would start sometime after that.  That is too far in the future for anyone to really say who would be directing it.

3 minutes ago, number305 said:

This probably means the Rian trilogy won't get made.  I mean this Trilogy isn't going to be finished until 2026... so a new trilogy would start sometime after that.  That is too far in the future for anyone to really say who would be directing it.

There is nothing preventing the trilogies from releasing concurrently.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

anything is possible, but it's highly unlikely. Disney seems to have decided December is the spot for Star Wars releases and since they've already committed to also releasing the Avatar flicks at Christmas it's going to be a Avatar Star Wars Avatar Star Wars Avatar Star Wars Avatar for Christmas 2022-2027. I don't see them also releasing a different Star Wars film alongside those Avatar films.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I expect this as well. Two years between each film, so four years between each entry in each trilogy. More than enough time to make quality products with good continuity.

doubtful, 4 years between each episode in a trilogy is too long and besides if that had been their plan then when they had their meeting/announcement the other week they would have said the next star wars movies will release 2022, 20024, 2026, 2028, 2030, 2032

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

I thought Johnson and D&D were working on the same trilogy 

Unless it turns out the RJ is mainly just directing, I don’t think so.

But back in March at Cinemacon during his presentation of Knives Out, RJ explicitly said he was wanting to do something smaller like Knives Out before returning to a Galaxy Far Far Away. Seems odd that that he would speak of it as though Star Wars is next for him if he’s many years out from production.

4 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

As others already pointed out there was only one star wars trilogy on the Disney release schedule they put out a week ago, and that listed all their planned tent pole movies through 2027.

Actually, some people have pointed out that while three Star Wars movies have been announced, they were not announced as a trilogy, and D&D were not announced as making a trilogy, only the first one. So it's possible that D&D are making a standalone story, or a story that will then transition to Johnson's movie two years later. I'm sure we'll find out in the next year or so.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Actually, some people have pointed out that while three Star Wars movies have been announced, they were not announced as a trilogy, and D&D were not announced as making a trilogy, only the first one. So it's possible that D&D are making a standalone story, or a story that will then transition to Johnson's movie two years later. I'm sure we'll find out in the next year or so.

The original D&D announcement last year was that they were writing a trilogy or a "series" of films which either way indicates more than one film.

In any event, I wonder if this means that everyone involved (HBO and D&D) have quietly deiced to shelve the ill-received Confederate series, despite HBO's protestations to the contrary.

After seeing somebody else mention it as a possibility I’m now hoping that RJ ends up doing a TV series for Disney+ instead. I’d really love to see him work in that format.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

As others already pointed out there was only one star wars trilogy on the Disney release schedule they put out a week ago, and that listed all their planned tent pole movies through 2027.

That wasn't a trilogy announcement it was mentioning 3 blank Star Wars movie dates. They've done that also with Marvel movies. 

She would go on to state that during the hiatus they plan to map out the next decade of storytelling, “And we’re taking the time to really look at where this is going from the standpoint of a saga.” She adds, “We’re not just looking at what the next three movies might be, or talking about this in terms of a trilogy. We’re looking at: What is the next decade of storytelling?”

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/04/15/kathleen-kennedy-star-wars-to-map-out-next-decade-of-storytelling-with-rian-johnson-and-game-of-thrones-writers/

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

That wasn't a trilogy announcement it was mentioning 3 blank Star Wars movie dates. They've done that also with Marvel movies. 

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/04/15/kathleen-kennedy-star-wars-to-map-out-next-decade-of-storytelling-with-rian-johnson-and-game-of-thrones-writers/

it's quite true that they've done similar things with Marvel, but Marvel is a completely different animal than the Star Wars universe, at least it has been. When you see movies releasing every other year you are more than likely talking about a trilogy (or in Avatar's case movies 2-5) but with Marvel you are typically seeing 2-3 movies a year, so of course those aren't going to be direct sequels or a trilogy, those get spaced. The Star Wars universe is definitely rich enough to be able to handle a movie every year, even 2 movies a year with multiple storylines going, if we could get consistent quality and someone like a Fiege to competently oversee it all. I just don't see them taking that route with Star Wars 

15 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fuck. Validates the theory that they wanted to rush the ending of GoT with fewer episodes so that they could move onto Star Wars.

That doesn't make a lot of sense since they only directed the final episode.

Episode 1: David Nutter

Episode 2: David Nutter

Episode 3: Miguel Sapochnik

Episode 4: David Nutter

Episode 5: Miguel Sapochnik

Episode 6: David Benioff and Dan Weiss

I don't get why people are upset at this news just because they're disappointed in Game of Thrones this season. This season is suffering because it's shorter and feels rushed; there's no reason to believe that these Star Wars movies will be. I'm looking forward to what they do. 

Somehow people are confusing D/D's ability to take an already written story and successfully convert it to tv versus them not being able to do right by said story with their own written conclusions.

If D/D takes an already written Star Wars idea and converts it to a visual medium, they'll be fine. (Because of GOT's final season) If they try and alter an already popular idea and/or try to create a new narrative for an already popular franchise, they'll be in trouble imo

19 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

That doesn't make a lot of sense since they only directed the final episode.

Episode 1: David Nutter

Episode 2: David Nutter

Episode 3: Miguel Sapochnik

Episode 4: David Nutter

Episode 5: Miguel Sapochnik

Episode 6: David Benioff and Dan Weiss

Show runners on tv series are actively involved in every aspect of production, even if they don’t direct. Directing TV is very different than directing features.

14 hours ago, Brick said:

I don't get why people are upset at this news just because they're disappointed in Game of Thrones this season. This season is suffering because it's shorter and feels rushed; there's no reason to believe that these Star Wars movies will be. I'm looking forward to what they do. 

Even if you put all of the blame on them it does not mean Star Wars is in trouble.  The list of directors that have never made a bad movie/tv show is pretty short.

11 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Somehow people are confusing D/D's ability to take an already written story and successfully convert it to tv versus them not being able to do right by said story with their own written conclusions.

If D/D takes an already written Star Wars idea and converts it to a visual medium, they'll be fine. (Because of GOT's final season) If they try and alter an already popular idea and/or try to create a new narrative for an already popular franchise, they'll be in trouble imo

So you’re basing their ability to write and direct a successful Star Wars movie based solely on your negative opinion of the final season of GoT? 

15 hours ago, Brick said:

First: Seasons 5, 7, and 8 have all been disappointing, not just season 8. They just couldn't go off book and do it right (beyond some of season 6). Seasons 7 and 8 being shorter and thus rushed only makes the flaws that seasons 5 and 6 had stand out more is all.

Second, D.B. Weiss is an otherwise untested writer, but David Benioff is an author and written the screenplays to many great movies. I have no doubt they'll make some good Star Wars movies. This is the guy who wrote the novel 25th Hour and then wrote the screenplay that Spike Lee then directed. He also wrote the screenplays (solely) for the films: Troy (director's cut of this is particularly good), Stay, The Kite Runner, and Brothers. I'd be surprised if these two don't make a good Star Wars movie.

8 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

So you’re basing their ability to write and direct a successful Star Wars movie based solely on your negative opinion of the final season of GoT? 

It's certainly what other people are having a hard time grasping with because of GOT

I wouldn't be surprised if Benioff and Weiss or Johnson end up writing/directing the first episode in their trilogies and then just produce the next two. I suppose Benioff and Weiss know what it's like to spend a decade working on the same project, but I don't know if they're so keen on signing up for that immediately. Johnson has said that he loved working on TLJ, but that's still a very different task than a whole trilogy, especially when you don't have JJ doing so much of the setup for you.

Whatever happens, I'm still just excited to see some Star Wars break free from the Skywalker Saga. I'm looking forward to Ep 9, but I want to see Star Wars on the big screen free from the OT.