Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CitizenVectron

Amazon to roll out automated packaging machine that will eliminate thousands of jobs.

Recommended Posts

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-to-roll-out-automated-packing-machines-offers-1834716594

 

Summary:

  • Machine will eliminate 1,300 jobs
  • Amazon will create program to help these people "start up" Amazon-delivery businesses with $10,000
  • These new delivery people must use the start-up funds to purchase Amazon-branded gear from the company store
  • People lucky enough to receive these funds and deliver goods will no longer fall under Amazon's benefits or minimum wage policy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon is the new Wal-Mart. Very nearly essential to the lives of a significant portion of the population. Absolutely atrocious business practices. 

 

 

Fuck them. I believe it will be extremely difficult find a way around them as a consumer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Fuck them. I believe it will be extremely difficult find a way around them as a consumer. 

 

It already is.

 

I needed to buy a new duct for my portable A/C...Local Busy Beaver didn't have any, Home Depot didn't have any, LG website was devoid of any information about ordering replacement parts; took me 45 seconds on Amazon to find the right sized duct for only $13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that movie with The Rock where he was in that company town with the mine, and he walked in and busted up the whole operation? We need that but with him smashing Amazon.

 

Is there a way to bring Teddy Roosevelt to the present and trust-bust these people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, good thing I didn't take that job as a picker/packer at the local Amazon distribution center. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know what these independent Amazon delivery people make on average? I’ve noticed a massive increase in the number of randos in their beater cars delivering my Amazon stuff. Between our personal and business needs, I get Amazon packages 7 days a week.

 

I ask because I’ve noticed almost everybody doing it is not a native English speaker which makes me assume (even beyond it being an amazon job) that the wages are pretty poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Does anybody know what these independent Amazon delivery people make on average? I’ve noticed a massive increase in the number of randos in their beater cars delivering my Amazon stuff. Between our personal and business needs, I get Amazon packages 7 days a week.

 

I ask because I’ve noticed almost everybody doing it is not a native English speaker which makes me assume (even beyond it being an amazon job) that the wages are pretty poor.

https://flex.amazon.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of reasons to hate Amazon, but this isn't one of them. How many jobs are being lost to automation? This is just another drop in that bucket and there really isn't anything that can be reasonably done to stop it.

 

Their replacement job plan is rather patronizing, though. Also, it's wild how vertically integrated Amazon is. Their robotics are industry leading in this space and they're all developed in house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CayceG said:

Amazon is the new Wal-Mart. Very nearly essential to the lives of a significant portion of the population. Absolutely atrocious business practices. 

 

 

Fuck them. I believe it will be extremely difficult find a way around them as a consumer. 

 

Dat one day shipping doe

Dat-Ass.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see how this thing packs. Can it be as discerning as a human when it comes to fragile items and such?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'd like to see how this thing packs. Can it be as discerning as a human when it comes to fragile items and such?

 

given the shape some of the packages I'd received, humans aren't all that discerning when it comes to packaging.

 

As for automation replacing people in this realm, it's a product of Amazon's success. People want there stuff and they want it NOW and I have no doubt the machines they install for this will be faster than the people they are replacing, not to mention they'll work 24/7 with no breaks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Does anybody know what these independent Amazon delivery people make on average? I’ve noticed a massive increase in the number of randos in their beater cars delivering my Amazon stuff. Between our personal and business needs, I get Amazon packages 7 days a week.

 

I ask because I’ve noticed almost everybody doing it is not a native English speaker which makes me assume (even beyond it being an amazon job) that the wages are pretty poor.

We have a guy that is always delivering stuff in a rented uhaul truck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

 

given the shape some of the packages I'd received, humans aren't all that discerning when it comes to packaging.

 

As for automation replacing people in this realm, it's a product of Amazon's success. People want there stuff and they want it NOW and I have no doubt the machines they install for this will be faster than the people they are replacing, not to mention they'll work 24/7 with no breaks. 

Quote

The new machines can reportedly pack boxes 4 to 5 times faster than a human.

 

5 hours ago, CayceG said:

Amazon is the new Wal-Mart. Very nearly essential to the lives of a significant portion of the population. Absolutely atrocious business practices. 

 

 

Fuck them. I believe it will be extremely difficult find a way around them as a consumer. 

What atrocious business practices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...