Update: Iraqi court issues arrest warrant for Insurrectionist-in-Chief over killing of paramilitary leader last January

Completely unsurprising and anyone caught shocked by the statement has no excuse. His comments about McCain, how he likes soldiers that weren't captured, were worse than this and of the same order. Nobody should ever expect him to do anything other than deny/dismiss/deflect anything that contradicts him or makes him look bad and he'll throw anyone and everyone under the bus in literally seconds just to preserve his ego.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The Iran thing is just one more reason no government should ever trust ours.

And nobody really should unless Congress does something to sharply reign in the power of the executive. Unfortunately, that's never going to happen unless Biden spends first term trying to publicly convince Congress to do just that. Unfortunately, he wouldn't since he'd need that power to undo everything Trump did. Also unfortunate, since he's not going to win.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

And nobody really should unless Congress does something to sharply reign in the power of the executive. Unfortunately, that's never going to happen unless Biden spends first term trying to publicly convince Congress to do just that. Unfortunately, he wouldn't since he'd need that power to undo everything Trump did. Also unfortunate, since he's not going to win.

Nahhh, Trump is not winning this one.. 

29 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Congress has continually delegated power to the executive, and this tradition predates the modern American empire.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Congress has continually delegated power to the executive, and this tradition predates the modern American empire.

That's why I said the only way it would happen is if Biden publicly pushed Congress to make those changes. Too bad he won't even have the chance.

It's easy to delegate power to the executive since you can blame it for everything while also continuously getting voting in.

55 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's why I said the only way it would happen is if Biden publicly pushed Congress to make those changes. Too bad he won't even have the chance.

It's easy to delegate power to the executive since you can blame it for everything while also continuously getting voting in.

Your second paragraph is exactly why the rollbacks won't happen, regardless of a Biden win and push for rollbacks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16dc-military1-videoSixteenByNine3000.jp
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The president was dissuaded from moving ahead with a strike by advisers who warned that it could escalate into a broader conflict in his last weeks in office.

I guess that's one way to head out the door...

2 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Little off-topic related gripe, but putting serious stories like this behind a paywall seems irresponsible. This has been more of an issue as of late, specifically for me with the Chicago Tribune putting important COVID public health updates behind a paywall.

Fake news is free (breitbart, daily caller, etc), real news has a fee (nyt, wapo, etc) which is a small but important thing to think of when it comes to the spread of right wing propaganda

24 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Little off-topic related gripe, but putting serious stories like this behind a paywall seems irresponsible. This has been more of an issue as of late, specifically for me with the Chicago Tribune putting important COVID public health updates behind a paywall.

This is true. It's terrible for information literacy and public information.

But there is a tension with the importance of the journalism field (industry?) and how you pay for that. Subscription models aren't good for everyone. Locking them down behind paywalls is worse. You can't fund really GOOD journalism through patreon or whatever. Venture capital is never beneficial to society because it's commonly self- or capital-serving rather than social focused...

I don't know that there's a good answer. Public funding sounds pretty ineffective because why would the government fund its own check on power?

I don't know man...

11 hours ago, CayceG said:

This is true. It's terrible for information literacy and public information.

But there is a tension with the importance of the journalism field (industry?) and how you pay for that. Subscription models aren't good for everyone. Locking them down behind paywalls is worse. You can't fund really GOOD journalism through patreon or whatever. Venture capital is never beneficial to society because it's commonly self- or capital-serving rather than social focused...

I don't know that there's a good answer. Public funding sounds pretty ineffective because why would the government fund its own check on power?

I don't know man...

Canada is introducing public subsidy for news. There are kinks to be worked out, but as long as the press certifies each other as legit, then they get funding. There is a board that governs the money, made up of newspaper/media owners, journalist union leaders, and government appointees. It can be done, but the system has to be non-partisan.