Update: Iraqi court issues arrest warrant for Insurrectionist-in-Chief over killing of paramilitary leader last January

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought they attacked our bases in Iraq. Aren't our bases effectively U.S. Soil?

We no longer own any of the bases in Iraq, but are allowed to run operations from them. This was part of the Bush/Obama plan to withdraw from the war. So now the attack sites chosen are wholly owned by the Iraqis again, which as I mentioned earlier, seems to be a strategic move on the part of Iran to send a message to Iraq to keep out of it.

16 minutes ago, Jose said:

Who gives a fuck what Maureen Dowd thinks right now?

The same people who lied and pushed us into the Iraq war are still in power and still pushing to get us into more wars. And the same journalists who never called those in power out for their lies and cheerled (Can I use that as a verb? Too late I'm doing it) the Iraq war are still doing it. Everyone from the politicians to the journalists to the thinktank ghouls who got us into Iraq have an enormous amount of blood on their hands, and until they are guillotined or ejected into the sun like they deserve, the very least we can do is keep calling them out for their bullshit. 

• Like 1

Yet here is an entire class of people — hell, not even just a class! In many cases it’s a very specific group of individuals! — whose complete failure, as leaders, as strategists, as analysts, as reporters, as prognosticators, already and in full view of the whole human race killed millions of people, destroyed a society, and fucked up an entire region of the globe… running it back! In much the same positions of authority and prominence as before. The warmongers are never ruined by their mistakes; that’s a consequence they’ll go on assigning to the whole rest of the world, until there’s no world left to bear it.

See if we just assassinate people then when they retaliate the president has the authority to go to war!  GOP wants this so bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/08/lindsey-graham-iran-missile-strike-american-forces-act-war/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

“This was an act of war … by any reasonable definition,” Graham said in an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity. “The president has all the authority he needs under Article II to respond.”

The owning of libs is in full swing already based on my Facebook wall. Slews of American white trash responding with sub-Idiocracy levels of "cry more snowflake" gotchas and liking each others' complete nonsense with haha emojis because...God...Jesus...something...terrorists....9/11. 

I've seen it all within approximately two minutes spent on there which happens about every 3 months in my life by now at most and it's fucking crushingly depressing to see the levels of aggressively ignorant idiocy this country's culture celebrates and keeps spiraling deeper into.

• Sad 1

Iran does not want open war.  Trump does not want open war.  (Even though you could argue that the US and Iran have effectively been at war for over 70 years.)

These strikes should demonstrate that Iran has no interest in open confrontation (but likely will continue with it's proxy war and funding of terrorists that results in the destabilizing of many of its neighbours.)

Iran can now tell its people that it has struck back -- Trump can argue that Iran's retaliation was meaningless.  And life can go on.  (Will Trump do this?  Who knows.)

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

They intentionally did not hit important things like people or populated structures though. 

Honestly, I'm actually surprised their missiles are this accurate. This is crazy scary. Had they wanted to do real damage, they absolutely could have. 

That's what it looks like, double the missiles and the base is gone. Which is likely the point they want to prove. Get out or we can take you out. 

14 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Iran gave him an off-ramp for this crisis and he wisely took it.

No argument from me on this one.

He did, for the moment.

However, Trump is biologically incapable of getting out of his own way. There were a few things in his speech that concerned me (other than his inability to deliver it):

1. “Powerful new economic sanctions while we evaluate additional options.”

2. “The missiles fired at us last night were bought with the money provided from the last administration.”

3. “It’s time for the UK and our other European allies to abandon the JCPOA, and join us in negotiating a new nuclear deal.”

He also asked our NATO allies to get more involved, which will likely fall on deaf ears, given his rhetoric towards NATO over the past four years. 

Once it became clear there were no American casualties the potential for a retaliatory strike plummeted. Even my wife who never watches the news could see it on the faces of the news people, who were sad that their war boner had deflated.

I’m telling you, Donald don’t have patience for this war thing. Randomly killing some bad guy is more his thing. We just have to hope he doesn’t do such to somebody for which there can be no off-ramp to escalation.