2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The biggest issue, imo, is if it gets stuck on land and just dumps water down for days. I've seen some rainfall projections over 18" from Thursday to Saturday in central Virginia...put that a few miles west over the  shenandoah valley and it's a complete disaster. It would be bad here, but nothing like the valley or tidewater region. And don't forget the storm surge in Hampton Roads area...nothing about this storm is good.

And let's not forget this:

Welcome to Virginia Beach, home of the East Coast’s fastest-rising sea level

Just now, Ricofoley said:

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Hurricane-Florence-Expected-Rapidly-Intensify-Serious-Rainfall-Threat-US-East-Coast?cm_ven=hp-slot-1

Wunderground, which does not tend to be hyperbolic and click-baity, is explicitly drawing comparisons to Harvey and warning of a "multiday flood disaster"

This is where i go for this stuff, its basically the weatherchannel guys without the shitty website.

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My wife is driving back through West Virginia right now on I-64, and she says there is already flooding on the roads there from existing storms. The latest euro rainfall amounts would be absolutely devistating to that area if this model came to pass.

Yeah, we're supposed to get 2-3 maybe more inches of rain in some areas today into tomorrow, and then whatever is left of Florence could really be a problem, the ground is already super damp from having like a foot more of rain over the summer than usual too.

54 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yeah, we're supposed to get 2-3 maybe more inches of rain in some areas today into tomorrow, and then whatever is left of Florence could really be a problem, the ground is already super damp from having like a foot more of rain over the summer than usual too.

That's the story of about the entire SE lol. Wet groud plus clay soil is a recipe for disaster

The last update was 5am ET, so the next will be 11am, and I'm confident this will be a major hurricane at that point.

For anyone with family/friends there or who live there, check your evacuation areas now (in Florida, they're labeled A/B/C/D/E) so if an evacuation order is issued, they/you know when to leave. It's recommended to evacuate your area if an evacuation order is issued so the roads can be clear for people who have been ordered to evacuate.

If you/your family and friends want to leave instead of ride out the storm regardless as to where you live, I'd recommend doing it soon to, again, clear up the roads in a day or so for people being ordered to evacuate. If you're evacuating early just because you don't want to be there, then obviously double and triple-check everything and make sure there's nothing outdoors that could turn into flying debris. 

11am advisory had the winds at 115.

The National Hurricane Center is confirming winds are at 130. I feel nervous and I don't even live there. :( 

I would not blame anyone for going somewhere else, but again, if you do, make sure you do it, like, today or early early tomorrow. Mandatory evacuation orders will be issued Tuesday or Wednesday and those roads should be for people who absolutely need to evacuate from flood-prone areas.