Final Fantasy VII Remake OT - Big Trouble in Little Midgar

SaysWho?

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm saying I reject the premise that it's not a full game simply due to it going through Midgar, especially since the entire thing is reimagined from the ground up. :p 

I have no doubt this is a full game but I feel like it's going to be the equivalent of LOTR extended versions, so bloated that by the end of the saga it's going to be like a 500 hour game.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Final Fantasy VII R Part 2 Episode 1 Act 1

"In response, Nomura explained that "if we divide the story into large parts, it'll take longer to make," and that "if we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster." He goes on to say that he hopes to release the next part "ASAP." Kitase clarifies that although they aren't set on how many "parts" it'll be, there is "widespread speculation that it'll be a trilogy," and leaves it at that."

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

"In response, Nomura explained that "if we divide the story into large parts, it'll take longer to make," and that "if we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster." He goes on to say that he hopes to release the next part "ASAP." Kitase clarifies that although they aren't set on how many "parts" it'll be, there is "widespread speculation that it'll be a trilogy," and leaves it at that."

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Final Fantasy VII R Part 2 Episode 1 Act 1

While I do want part 2 ASAP, I also would love to see this series evolve into a more open-ish world, much like the original, and I feel like that could take more time to build.

At least they have the combat system down. I'm sure they'll want to evolve it in some way, but I'd happily play another game with nearly identical combat.

Just now, TwinIon said:

While I do want part 2 ASAP, I also would love to see this series evolve into a more open-ish world, much like the original, and I feel like that could take more time to build.

At least they have the combat system down. I'm sure they'll want to evolve it in some way, but I'd happily play another game with nearly identical combat.

I'll be incredibly disappointed if each episode is like this one - linear but action-packed, but stuck to the locations and settings the story demands, rather than giving us free reign. I think going open-world as it goes in the original game is pretty important. But otherwise I agree.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'll be incredibly disappointed if each episode is like this one - linear but action-packed, but stuck to the locations and settings the story demands, rather than giving us free reign. I think going open-world as it goes in the original game is pretty important. But otherwise I agree.

At this point I don't really know what to expect. While they're not necessarily beholden to the design of the original, it's easy enough to see them mimicking the structure, with an overworld map of some kind, with different locations build just like this one, as a series of corridors. 

Then you have F15, which did have a large open world, but was also built on an entirely different engine, and also never really managed to portray a real open world. It was more like a big open field with some oddly laid out towns. I don't think there's a technical reason that they couldn't do a more open world design, but I'm not sure how far down that path I actually expect them to go.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

At this point I don't really know what to expect. While they're not necessarily beholden to the design of the original, it's easy enough to see them mimicking the structure, with an overworld map of some kind, with different locations build just like this one, as a series of corridors. 

Then you have F15, which did have a large open world, but was also built on an entirely different engine, and also never really managed to portray a real open world. It was more like a big open field with some oddly laid out towns. I don't think there's a technical reason that they couldn't do a more open world design, but I'm not sure how far down that path I actually expect them to go.

Yeah, I agree, FF15 was open world (truly) but sparsely populated outside of enemies (though moreso than FF7R). If it's an overworld selection map and then corridors at those locations, I'd rather prefer The Witcher 3 and RDR2 from such a big studio. 

We'll see, it could work but opening up the world in some way I feel is necessary. Even FF13 could only get away with corridors for like 20-25 hours before even it had to open up. 

Like FFVI before it, the open world really wasn’t that open until you got better transportation than Chocobos.

I actually wouldn’t mind a DQXI-like approach for part 2. There are open bits, but they’re not massive and still feel funneled to some extent. Then you get the ability to sail/fly and get a better idea of the scope of the landscape.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Like FFVI before it, the open world really wasn’t that open until you got better transportation than Chocobos.

I actually wouldn’t mind a DQXI-like approach for part 2. There are open bits, but they’re not massive and still feel funneled to some extent. Then you get the ability to sail/fly and get a better idea of the scope of the landscape.

That's certainly a concession I'd be willing to accept. 

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah it's looking like it might be micro parts at this point so if that's true I'd expect more cuts to RPG elements in service of telling the story faster.

The Chapter 11 boss music

Spoiler

the ghoul

is fucking off the charts.

Spoiler

If you told me the soundtrack was a mix of orchestral songs from FF7 and new songs, I'd have not cared to hear the new songs, but they did VERY well.

Nearing the end of Chapter 14. (I think?)

One of the minor issues the game has is reusing environments.  By this point, there’s quite a few times it makes you go through the same zones twice to finish the story.  It can feel like padding, but it does take you through new routes with new bosses.  Thankfully most areas are pretty small in scope anyways (most time is spent fighting).  Independent of what FF7 first did, they feel justified in whatever new plot arc leads you there.

Side quest complaints I don’t get as much.  They’re such a small part of the game, but they help the pacing between cutscene heavy sections and dungeons.  You get a breather, and those breaks feel appropriately spaced out.  Not all of them are amazing, but some of the bosses stand out in my mind with the main bosses.

I'm at Chapter 14, which opens up the game considerably. I'm enjoying doing the side quests because there are some very, very good pieces of equipment and materia. I'm doing the (mostly) non-battle ones first (a couple I wasn't expecting to fight), but the ones that want me to go into enemy territory I'm saving for getting the good stuff, like 

Spoiler

Corneo's stash, which I already got the one by Sector 5.

I wasn't expecting the end game to be as robust as it is. 

Ch. 16:

Spoiler

So anyone who played the original knows that, with this game taking place in Midgar, the endgame would be the Shinra HQ infiltration. But it's a pretty meaty part of the game. You're suddenly getting big materia like EXP Up and Gil Up, not to mention an entirely new arena to battle. When I finished all the side quests before using the grappling hooks in Ch 14, I thought that was it for side stuff.

Just beat it. Phew, wild.

I think the end game is a little too long. At a certain point at

Spoiler

Shinra HQ, I felt the pacing started to get a little sluggish because there wasn't a lot of story happening. I took a lot of time just doing Hojo's tests.

As far as the ending,

Spoiler

I don't have any complaints about that. Regardless, the world opens up after Midgar, so I wonder if it'll be more an open-world affair considering that's what the world map would be nowadays.

18 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Just beat it. Phew, wild.

I think the end game is a little too long. At a certain point at

Hide contents

Shinra HQ, I felt the pacing started to get a little sluggish because there wasn't a lot of story happening. I took a lot of time just doing Hojo's tests.

As far as the ending,

Hide contents

I don't have any complaints about that. Regardless, the world opens up after Midgar, so I wonder if it'll be more an open-world affair considering that's what the world map would be nowadays.

Square Enix still has no idea how many "episodes" this will be even, and they're still debating whether future episodes should be like this one, linear and limited so they come out faster, or take longer to make and make it open world. Director Nomura and producer Kitase even seem to disagree on how much will be "different" or "new" going forward with Nomura wanting to clearly change a lot and Kitase recently saying "not a lot" will change. Concerning they don't have these major things ironed out yet, but I hope it works out.

I have zero desire to see this go open world. I’d be ok with something like AC1’s open world world a Hub World that connects different areas. But true open world? No thank you. There’s enough open world games already. I love the streamlined, action packed, cinematic experience of the first part. 

I'm getting post-game stuff -- did all of Corneo's stuff and now doing the simulator to get the things (being purposefully vague) you can't get on the first playthrough.

You know what I found out?

I artificially made this game harder for myself. :| 

Apparently, the Colosseum had side stuff you could do, and you could get level 2 limit breaks and extra SP. :| 

When I returned to do a mission there on my first runthrough, it asked if I wanted to do a special fight or a free match, so in my head, I thought, "Oh, so there's nothing like the battle arena or anything to get cool prizes; it's just some free matches," and never attempted to do the other fights because I didn't know there were any. :| 

Aerith's level 2 limit break would have came in fucking handy for many of the late game fights. :| 

As would all the others, but especially hers. :| 

And the extra SP would have been a nice bonus. :| 

:|  

I also didn’t get the level 2 limit breaks. 

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Welp I got the crawling vent glitch.  Lost an hour or two of progress.

Save your progress a bunch in the Shinra building folks.

This happened to me too. Luckily didn’t lose too much progress. 

On 5/12/2020 at 12:16 PM, SaysWho? said:

I never installed the Cactuar summon. :| 

Now that I think about it I never did anything from the pre-order bonuses either. Though Amazon shipped my game 5 days late and I was already almost done with the game by that point.

Oh my fuck

I just beat the gauntlet -- the last battle, 7 stars -- on the Shinra Battle Simulator.

What a fucking rush.

I didn't die on the last battle but I died a lot on the penultimate one. Beating it felt amazing. 

That does it for FF7 Remake. Great ride. :) 

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Oh my fuck

I just beat the gauntlet -- the last battle, 7 stars -- on the Shinra Battle Simulator.

What a fucking rush.

I didn't die on the last battle but I died a lot on the penultimate one. Beating it felt amazing. 

That does it for FF7 Remake. Great ride. :) 

Did you do the secret Chadley mission?

16 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Pretty sure since I got a scene with him after. All the summons, all the battles, can't think of anything I missed.

To be clear, you're talking about the special one that is only available on hard after getting all of the hard-mode weapon SP books, and not 

Spoiler

Bahamut

Right?