Final Fantasy VII Remake OT - Big Trouble in Little Midgar

SaysWho?

3 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

No date. I can’t believe that this will be this gen. 

Even if they some how managed to get the first episode out on PS4, why wouldn't most want it on PS5 with later installments likely to come throughout the life of that system. 

I think it’ll be a love letter to 7 but play essentially like 15. I wish it wasn’t episodic, but I don’t think they’re willing to put the time and money into a proper remake. 

So basically I think it might be a quality thing, but it’s going to be supremely disappointing to most of the people who have been clamoring for it for years. 

For reference, I don’t know if it is anymore, but it’s the game I’ve most often answered as my favorite game of all time when people ask me that question. 

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yes, and that's the biggest bummer for me. I miss the days of turn-based battles. At least I still have Dragon Quest...

I’d love for this to be turn based combat. I’d argue that’s why OG FF7 and many other old school JRPGs still kinda hold up.

• Like 1

This looks like absolute dog shit. Typical Z-tier Square Enix action gameplay. They have absolutely zero talent in crafting a decent action combat system, and this looks no better. Weightless, flashy garbage.

Why they insisted on this change is beyond me. It's like they're ashamed of the REASON THEY'RE POPULAR TODAY.

They've always had a thing for overly flashy bullshit, but at least when it was turn-based it was solid turn-based.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

This looks like absolute dog shit. Typical Z-tier Square Enix action gameplay. They have absolutely zero talent in crafting a decent action combat system, and this looks no better. Weightless, flashy garbage.

Why they insisted on this change is beyond me. It's like they're ashamed of the REASON THEY'RE POPULAR TODAY.

It's too bad this game is going to be a hit no matter what happens otherwise this could be a learning experience for square. They could take a look at capcom and see how they've been doing remasters right, modernizing but keeping the things that people loved (well most people loved)

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's too bad this game is going to be a hit no matter what happens otherwise this could be a learning experience for square. They could take a look at capcom and see how they've been doing remasters right, modernizing but keeping the things that people loved (well most people loved)

Yup. If you're gonna change something as dramatic as how the game plays, at least do it better. Not what appears to be (and what is almost guaranteed to be) infinitely worse.

Oh well, I'm not that big of a 7 fan anyway. And they've already exhumed and molested 6's corpse with their shitty new sprites. But at least it was otherwise the same game. I can't believe I of all people am typing this. I hate being purist for purism's sake, but this just looks like modern Square trying to capture the spirit of classic Square. And I'm not seeing it.

Also the voice acting was fucking dog shit in both languages. If you heard those Japanese voices and thought anything other than "Wow, what generic, cringe-worthy bullshit" then you live in a nest of lies.

I dunno. I'm a cranky old man who likes things the way they are and I'm really not interested in a more "modernized" battle system, but if they actually clean up some of the messier elements of the story it might be worth a playthrough for me.

I do like the character models are all recognizably like the original game and not all Advent Childreny

1 hour ago, Eggman76 said:

Never played the original and aside from that one spoiler everyone already knows about, I've managed to avoid all spoilers.  It is time.

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That spoiler basically is the game, anything else is forgettable.

Don't listen to Keyser; he's high.

I agree about turn-based vs action. Im currently playing FF VI (for the 1st time!) on my iphone and the gameplay really holds up. It makes for a really good mobile experience as well. Trying to mash buttons on a tiny screen just sucks. 

One thing I hope they do change (and I certainly dont miss from the OG jrpgs) is the randomized battle encounters where you are getting into a fight every 3 seconds just exploring.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

You probably can say them because they won't be in the remake.

Much of the dialogue looked faithful to the original, as are the enemies.

Hell, I thought they were gonna show Barrett saying, "DON'T shoot while the tail's up," as fan service in the trailer for fixing that bit of dialogue.

I'm kinda excited to try this since I was never able to finish FF7 on the PS3 since I came to it late never owning a Playstation in my younger days and I felt this game did not age well at all.  The turn base battles are a slog fest compared to the sprite FF games.  I did see the PS4 version had some sort of speed up button though.  Anyone own the PS4 version?

6 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

I'm kinda excited to try this since I was never able to finish FF7 on the PS3 since I came to it late never owning a Playstation in my younger days and I felt this game did not age well at all.  The turn base battles are a slog fest compared to the sprite FF games.  I did see the PS4 version had some sort of speed up button though.  Anyone own the PS4 version?

PS4 version has a speed-up. You click the left analog stick, I believe, and you can quickly run through areas or traverse the world map.

Just remember to click again when you hit a random battle. :p 

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

PS4 version has a speed-up. You click the left analog stick, I believe, and you can quickly run through areas or traverse the world map.

Just remember to click again when you hit a random battle. :p 

I didn't mind the speed on traversing the world map.  It was just the battle speed made the random encounters feel like it took forever.  I did get up to the part where Sephiroth attacked some beach?  That is all I remember lol.  That time in my life, I rarely played video games and was more into getting laid and getting drunk.