Jump to content

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Return of the Mack


Recommended Posts

The best part of the new trilogy is the Rey-Kylo-Luke dynamic. Since nothing will top the Empire in terms of threat (the best you can do is just copy it, like JJ did in TFA), I think they should have actually not had any galactic threat to begin with, and made the new trilogy almost exclusively about the family dynamic. Yes you'd need a few battles thrown in, but honestly the battles in the new trilogy have been really small anyway. I'm hopeful for Lando, but I'm worried we're just going to get a cookie-cutter ending that's even more predictable than RoTJ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ort said:

The need someone to kill off, right?

 

exactly , lol

 

37 minutes ago, Engel said:

They already have Leia.

 

 

yes, they have Leia, but they need some to kill on screen :p 

 

 

I actually don't think they'll kill him, you can only go to that well so many times...of course Hollywood does love to beat a dead horse. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

Right, they'll kill her off offscreen, likely between films during a time jump or at the very start of the film. So how is it they "have" Leia for Episode IX?

I'm not getting what's so hard to follow here.

 

Ort states they need someone to kill off.

 

I reply with they have already have Leia [to kill off].

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Engel said:

I'm not getting what's so hard to follow here.

 

Ort states they need someone to kill off.

 

I reply with they have already have Leia [to kill off].

 

I think Leia doesn't really count as "someone to kill off" in terms of drama for the film,  which is what Ort is getting at, I would think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

I think Leia doesn't really count as "someone to kill off" in terms of drama for the film,  which is what Ort is getting at, I would think. 

 

Exactly. Especially since it pretty much has to be an offscreen death, either in the opening crawl, or her getting vaporized while we watch a ship get blown up or a building collapse or something like that from a distance. Not much dramatic weight to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

 

Exactly. Especially since it pretty much has to be an offscreen death, either in the opening crawl, or her getting vaporized while we watch a ship get blown up or a building collapse or something like that from a distance. Not much dramatic weight to that.

We don't really know.  Just as Luke was the mcguffin in ep 7 with no screen time Leia could be in ep 9.  They could have her kidnapped in the opening crawl and the movie could be trying to rescue her and he mission fails with her dying off-screen towards the end.  Just as an example.

 

That would offer more emotional weight than if they just have some character say 'oh yea too bad about Leia dying last week...'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, number305 said:

We don't really know.  Just as Luke was the mcguffin in ep 7 with no screen time Leia could be in ep 9.  They could have her kidnapped in the opening crawl and the movie could be trying to rescue her and he mission fails with her dying off-screen towards the end.  Just as an example.

 

That would offer more emotional weight than if they just have some character say 'oh yea too bad about Leia dying last week...'

 

I think saying "you still have Leia" regardless of how they handle it is a stupid thing to say short of CGing her character. Period. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really wish they would have not used any of the OT characters at all for this one except Luke as a ghost (and have the trilogy start with Ben having already killed Luke as his moment of betrayal a few years before).

 

The new trilogy is waaaay too tied to the past to have its own interesting story. I blame JJ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

I think saying "you still have Leia" regardless of how they handle it is a stupid thing to say short of CGing her character. Period. 

Are you a star wars fan?

 

edit- Also given the "burn the past" theme of the last movie, and like the OT the old characters dying to make room for the new generation, can the any of the deaths of the old characters have dramatic weight given that it's expected? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I really wish they would have not used any of the OT characters at all for this one except Luke as a ghost (and have the trilogy start with Ben having already killed Luke as his moment of betrayal a few years before).

 

The new trilogy is waaaay too tied to the past to have its own interesting story. I blame JJ.

I'm increasingly agreeing with this. I don't have much hope for Episode 9 being all that great, although I'm sure it will sell plenty of tickets. Solo really let me down hard, so I'm approaching all Star Wars material with extreme skepticism now. I think the best SW films in the future will be when Disney tries something bold and fresh with very few references to these films while still not turning into the prequels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I really wish they would have not used any of the OT characters at all for this one except Luke as a ghost (and have the trilogy start with Ben having already killed Luke as his moment of betrayal a few years before).

 

The new trilogy is waaaay too tied to the past to have its own interesting story. I blame JJ.

Both of the new films have been complete recycles of the OT  I just watched the OT a few weeks ago for the first time since I had it on VHS in the 90's and then TLJ when it came out on Netflix and the amount of recycling is glaring.  I notices some when I saw it in theaters but all 4 movies fresh it really stuck out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...