So I guess the Batwoman show is now super-duper official.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, Dre801 said:

I was not at all convinced by the fight scenes.  Lil Ruby Rose taking on a room full of Navy Seals?

The fighting in these shows has always been goofy. Thea was able to do the same thing for instance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
19 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

wtf

I'm reading reddit comments on this and someone made a good point that it's too bad this decision couldn't have been before Crisis, since that would have been a clean way to swap in someone else.

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

The ratings are pretty shitty, but CW isn't gonna give up on it just yet.

I don't think CW cares about traditional live airing ratings nearly as much as as other networks do. These shows also obviously have very tight budgets, which in general helps keep CW shows from getting canceled. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't think CW cares about traditional live airing ratings nearly as much as as other networks do. These shows also obviously have very tight budgets, which in general helps keep CW shows from getting canceled. 

I'm curious as to how these shows do digitally and on demand. 

Not a huge fan of Rose so I can't say her leaving is all that upsetting. As for the show itself..meh, it's so-so. I think like many shows it's trying to find its own rhythm. If it went away I wouldn't be upset, and I am never in a rush to watch it, but I'll binge a few episodes on my dvr every now and then 

33 minutes ago, johnny said:

I read that she was struggling with the long hours demanded from being the lead on a show. 

I saw a rumor, from a guy who supposedly has a track record of good information, that she was fired. Also saw some discussion that CW has a history of dubious safety decisions. Taking everything together I'm inclined toward the idea that she and the network were at loggerheads over where to strike the balance on playing the role and letting her back heal (she was almost paralyzed doing stunts), both in terms of hours and specific physical demands. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Jason

@skillzdadirecta

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/batwoman-replace-kate-kane-ruby-roses-departure-1296951

Whoever ends up under the cowl in season two of Batwoman, they won't be playing Kate Kane.

Following the surprise departure of Ruby Rose from the title role at the end of The CW superhero drama's first season, the show has opted to create a new character to play Batwoman rather than recast Rose's role of Kate Kane, a cousin of Bruce Wayne, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Word of the change came via a since-deleted casting notice posted to a Batwoman Reddit forum. Per Decider, which first reported the news, the new character is named "Ryan Wilder" (whether that's a placeholder name is unclear) and is described as a woman in her mid-20s who "is about to become Batwoman."

This is surprising news.

2 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Soft reboot of the show then.  Why even have Alice next season?

It isn't a soft reboot. Batwoman vanishes for an unknown reason leaving Gotham without a defender. A new Batwoman rises to defend Gotham so a completely different character takes up the mantle. This also gives them the option for the character to return if they work things out.

This also creates some interesting situations between characters and heroes.

• 1 month later...

New Batwoman has been recast...

The CW has found its new Batwoman. Actress Javicia Leslie (God Friended Me) will take over the lead role in Batwoman Season 2.As previously reported, The CW isn't recasting the Kate Kane role following Ruby Rose's abrupt departure from Batwoman. Instead, Leslie has been cast as a new character named Ryan Wilder.

Here's The CW's official description for Ryan Wilder:

Ryan Wilder is about to become Batwoman. She’s likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She’s also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the Batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. Today Ryan lives in her van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical all-American hero. Leslie previously appeared on The CW series God Friended Me, as well as the BET series The Family Business. This casting makes her the first black actress to play Batwoman in a live-action role. “I am extremely proud to be the first Black actress to play the iconic role of Batwoman on television, and as a bisexual woman, I am honored to join this groundbreaking show which has been such a trailblazer for the LGBTQ+ community,” said Leslie in a statement.

Hoooooboy the "fans" are gonna have a field day with this :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

New Batwoman has been recast...

Hoooooboy the "fans" are gonna have a field day with this :lol:

Those assholes  can just fuck off! I definitely intend to give her a chance and will be watching.  Hopefully they give her a chance and  don't back down to those haters. Shouldn't that just be new Batwoman has been cast since it's a new character?

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think she looks better than Ruby Rose. I don't think I've seen anything she's been in though. @Greatoneshere please educate!

She only has 17 credits to her name, and not only have I not seen anything she's ever been in, except for MacGuyver I've never even heard of anything she's been in. :p 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4124560/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

She's hot AF though.

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

I'll check her out.  I''m not really crazy about the show overall and didn't watch all of Season One, but I don't really think I need to at this point.

Rachel Skarsten (Alice) largely carried the show IMO. What I'm mostly nervous about with replacing Kate instead of recasting her is that there isn't really a great reason to keep things so heavily focused on Alice with Kate out of the picture.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:42 AM, Jason said:

Rachel Skarsten (Alice) largely carried the show IMO. What I'm mostly nervous about with replacing Kate instead of recasting her is that there isn't really a great reason to keep things so heavily focused on Alice with Kate out of the picture.

Alice could go further down the rabbit hole and blame Gotham and the new Batwoman for robbing her of her chance to get vengeance.

It's odd that DC is kinda forcing this show to stay on the air when fans have voiced that they want that Kingdom Come / Routh Superman character to have his own series since when he was first teased however long ago that was.

Is Batwoman somehow integral to the CWuniverse that would be ruined without her? I honestly don't know since I haven't seen it yet...

2 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

It's odd that DC is kinda forcing this show to stay on the air when fans have voiced that they want that Kingdom Come / Routh Superman character to have his own series since when he was first teased however long ago that was.

Is Batwoman somehow integral to the CWuniverse that would be ruined without her? I honestly don't know since I haven't seen it yet...

They are not going to do two separate Superman shows at the same time.