EA Access comes to PS4

crispy4000

16 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

This is actually kind of a bummer. I would've rather seen the opposite happen, with EA Access being no more and those titles moving over to Game Pass / PSNow.

I agree its a bummer, but I've always viewed this as an inevitability.

Now that both Sony and Microsoft are accepting of the premium channel model, I think we'll see other publishers follow suit.  Might take a few years for that transition to happen, but it will.

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Is EA access platform specific or if you pay for it on one you get it anywhere? 

platform specific, which is lame. the $100 premiere price on pc should just cover all three. though, i suppose there could be something where ms and sony wont allow it

• Like 1

When the rumors were going around that MS might buy EA I always thought the reasoning would be for MS to combine EA Access with Games Pass, so you would be getting your yearly Madden/Battlefield fix for "free" every year plus the other EA and MS games. 

Anyway good for Sony, more options for consumers is always good. 

49 minutes ago, noey jerd said:

I'd rather these games be on the xbox pass / psn now or whatever they are called. It's going to be like movie streaming services in the future. Each developer will have their own service!

Eh there’s what 2 MAYBE three companies that could do this? It won’t be dev specific. 

40 minutes ago, noey jerd said:

There is a lot of devs that could try and do this. There is an entire backlog of games. I'm not saying it would happen. I am saying it could happen.

There’s really no reason for a dev to do it that isn’t going to consistently come out with multiple games per year. That leaves basically EA and Ubi that I can think of.

@crispy4000

Is that how it works though? Can a publisher just in perpetuity use a game they published for a new service? I have a hunch no.

I could see a world where the landscape changes and you have maybe a known publisher try to pull off a new service with games a-la Game Pass, but not with exclusively games they publish, but that’s a different thing to fear. 

I was so stoked when we started getting away from cable, but the farther we get away from traditional cable it’s becoming worse in some ways than it ever was before. And they’re slowly jacking the price up as time goes on. 

I dunno. Capitalism I guess. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

@crispy4000

Is that how it works though? Can a publisher just in perpetuity use a game they published for a new service? I have a hunch no.

I could see a world where the landscape changes and you have maybe a known publisher try to pull off a new service with games a-la Game Pass, but not with exclusively games they publish, but that’s a different thing to fear.

Yes.  Unless its using an outside license contract that expires.  EA's already been at this for years.  The proof is here.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Again, this is how EA has done it.  Everything in their 'Vault' are games they published (so far).  There's nothing to stop any publisher from offering their own competing service with their own library.

One caveat is that EA - on consoles - hasn't introduced a subscription tier where you have unlimited access to new titles.  It only exists on PC.  There might be some politicking involved there with Microsoft and Sony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

@crispy4000

I was so stoked when we started getting away from cable, but the farther we get away from traditional cable it’s becoming worse in some ways than it ever was before. And they’re slowly jacking the price up as time goes on. 

I dunno. Capitalism I guess. 

They can publish in perpetuity, exclusively, until the game enters the public domain.  Once it enters the public domain (after ~95 years), anyone can put it on their service.

Clearly any game can be added to a publishers service.

In a potential future streaming world, where the cost of hardware is negligible, the same games could be available on multiple streaming services. 

• Like 1

The real megaton announcement will be when Sony allows MS Game Pass.  

And that isn't really a joke.  Microsoft does not really care a ton about hardware sales, they want the subscription service.  Sony could see it as a win because then everyone could play all the MS "exclusives" on the PS.  

15 hours ago, number305 said:

The real megaton announcement will be when Sony allows MS Game Pass.  

And that isn't really a joke.  Microsoft does not really care a ton about hardware sales, they want the subscription service.  Sony could see it as a win because then everyone could play all the MS "exclusives" on the PS.  

Sony doesn't care about hardware sales -- they care about royalties from 3rd party game sales and subscription revenue.

I am sure they would allow MS to put Game Pass on PS if MS would give them a 30% revenue cut.