Spider-Man Far From Home Discussion Thread

legend

6 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Was it just me, or were they trying to insinuate...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Like literally take over the Iron Man identity? I didn’t get that at all. 

On 7/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, sblfilms said:

Amusingly, @IdeaOfEvil, one of the reasons I gave last night to my buddies for why I liked it is the lower stakes and less serious tone of the film. Interesting how two people can recognize the same thing and one see it as a flaw and the other a strength :) 

Same here.  Much like ANT MAN and its sequel, I really enjoyed FAR FROM HOME, particularly as a lighter change of pace from the movie that it (and they) followed.  We get to see through the movie(s) how the MCU is evolving (to an extent), but in something that doesn't feature world-ending/-changing stakes, or some type of aerial warfare montage as a climax, in a movie that puts more of a premium on relationships than building/preserving narrative momentum across the entire MCU-verse (although you coudl certainly argue that some major stakes were set with the credits scenes).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brick said:

I just realized that this thread's title is missing Home in it. Is that on purpose? 

I see Home in the thread title, so unless someone edited it in, you should get your eyes checked :nerd: which reminds me I need to schedule an eyes exam and I hate to admit it but I know the doc is going to tell me I need bifocals now! :cry:getting old sucks 

57 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I see Home in the thread title, so unless someone edited it in, you should get your eyes checked :nerd: which reminds me I need to schedule an eyes exam and I hate to admit it but I know the doc is going to tell me I need bifocals now! :cry:getting old sucks 

Someone fixed it since he posted that. 

Forgot to mention one of my personal favorite moments - during the first credits scene, one of my projects can be seen pretty clearly in the background. The characters are at the corner of 33rd and 8th right by Madison Square Garden and Moynahan/Penn Station, and you can see my building (Brookfield Properties 1 Manhattan West) in the background. Definitely filmed sometime in the last 6-12 months judging by the sight of the cranes at Moynahan and 1MW. 

Thought it was pretty cool that they used live filmed footage of the area. 

20 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

Forgot to mention one of my personal favorite moments - during the first credits scene, one of my projects can be seen pretty clearly in the background. The characters are at the corner of 33rd and 8th right by Madison Square Garden and Moynahan/Penn Station, and you can see my building (Brookfield Properties 1 Manhattan West) in the background. Definitely filmed sometime in the last 6-12 months judging by the sight of the cranes at Moynahan and 1MW. 

Thought it was pretty cool that they used live filmed footage of the area. 

Nice! Did you help design the building? Or help construct it?

On 7/5/2019 at 12:02 PM, GoldenTongue said:

Same here.  Much like ANT MAN and its sequel, I really enjoyed FAR FROM HOME, particularly as a lighter change of pace from the movie that it (and they) followed.  We get to see through the movie(s) how the MCU is evolving (to an extent), but in something that doesn't feature world-ending/-changing stakes, or some type of aerial warfare montage as a climax, in a movie that puts more of a premium on relationships than building/preserving narrative momentum across the entire MCU-verse (although you coudl certainly argue that some major stakes were set with the credits scenes).

Spoiler

I think Edith, along with Peter basically having unrestrained access to Tony's tech and becoming a trusted Shield operative,  builds a narrative arc for the Spider-Man character going forward. Edith alone alleviates the threat of his public identity. Pete could make a statement saying he and his friends are under the protection of Tony's defense systems.  Just borrow that line from Iron Man 3 like they copied the villain LOL. 

not a bad film.. great work by Jake as the usual..

couple of things:

Spoiler

I always worried as to how they would be able to sell the idea of Mysterios crazy illusions in a live action flick... the existence/feasibility of the tech is easier to buy thanks to what has already been shown in other films within the universe which is actually quite handy..

the reveal of Talos doesnt completely explain why a man like Beck who worked for Stark isnt recognizable to someone like Fury (plus the dont invoke Cpt Marvel makes sense).. even if he is off planet..

MCU Spidey finally shown full on web swinging in NY City was great too..

42 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

not a bad film.. great work by Jake as the usual..

couple of things:

Hide contents

I always worried as to how they would be able to sell the idea of Mysterios crazy illusions in a live action flick... the existence/feasibility of the tech is easier to buy thanks to what has already been shown in other films within the universe which is actually quite handy..

the reveal of Talos doesnt completely explain why a man like Beck who worked for Stark isnt recognizable to someone like Fury (plus the dont invoke Cpt Marvel makes sense).. even if he is off planet..

MCU Spidey finally shown full on web swinging in NY City was great too..

Spoiler

It’s not like Fury has photographic memory and remembers every person he may have come in contact with in stark industries lmao 

8 hours ago, johnny said:
  Hide contents

It’s not like Fury has photographic memory and remembers every person he may have come in contact with in stark industries lmao 

Spoiler

that may be, but given the access and “powers” of mysterio it would make sense that someone like Fury would check backgrounds on people hes working on global threats with... even if he claims to be from an alternate universe i would still check our universes version..

not a huge deal overall, the comics universe is so big that holes are expected..

So this is a rumor taken from a Hollywood newsletter, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's interesting if true. There's a chance of Far From Home breaking $1B, but it's going to be close. Homecoming made $880M. I think Far From Home will top that, but given it's odd release timing and with Lion King waiting to take over all the screens, it's far from a certainty it'll get there.

Still, it's kind of hard to imagine how this kind of deal could possibly work. A third Spider-man movie would have to be in the MCU to make any sense, and I can't imagine Disney being ok with Sony overseeing an MCU film. Then again, Venom made $855M, so maybe Sony is just looking at the bottom line and thinking they don't need Disney to make that much on a Spider-man film.

I'd be curious to see how Sony ends up doing with the Venom sequel and Morbius. I bet Morbius will flop. Sony should be happy that their license is making them some cash. They can cash in with secondary characters from the Spider-Man universe and do more animated features.

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I'd be curious to see how Sony ends up doing with the Venom sequel and Morbius. I bet Morbius will flop. Sony should be happy that their license is making them some cash. They can cash in with secondary characters from the Spider-Man universe and do more animated features.

They should just reboot the 90’s Fox Kid’s cartoon and let Marvel/Disney make them money on all the live action stuff :p 

24 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They should just reboot the 90’s Fox Kid’s cartoon and let Marvel/Disney make them money on all the live action stuff :p 

Screw that on the Fox Kid’s Cartoon. Just bring back my Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon which ended on a big cliffhanger and I loved Josh Keaton as Spidey. 

Just came back back from seeing the film and I really enjoyed it. Little slow at the start, but once Mysterio shows up, all was good. 

loved Mysterio and Jake G’s portrayal of said character. I just hope his “death” was just another illusion to what he is planning to do now. The whole illusion battles were trippy and so well done. Kind of felt like the first moment when Dr. Strange is given his tea and just rifled back and forth trying to figure WTF was happening.

Plus the 3D presentation was pretty great and will for sure be importing a 3D blu-ray copy since it ain’t getting one in N. America 

On 7/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, Emblazon said:

Was it just me, or were they trying to insinuate...

Reveal hidden contents

On 7/5/2019 at 4:27 AM, TheLeon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Two scenes popped out to me that showed it is possible.

Spoiler

When PP is building his new suit on the plane, acclimating to Tony's tech with ease.

Having his identity made known to the world, albeit not by choice.

Both of those set up the possibility that he fills some of the roles left vacant by Tony for the Avengers. Not that he will actually become Iron Man, but rather the tech guy, developing new stuff for the use of Shield, the Avengers, etc.

I thought the movie was pretty fun. I'm in Austin right now so I went to Flix Brewhouse (what I assume is a ripoff of Alamo Drafthouse) for the first time and enjoyed that experience. Before the movie they were playing tons of Spider-man related stuff onscreen: old cartoons, newer cartoons, honest trailers of the Rami films, etc. It really helped get me in the mood tbh.

What worked for me:

• The humor ("Peter tingle" XD )
  • This version of MJ
  • Jake Gyllenhaal in general
  • Peter just wanting to be a teenager. I really bought into his angst over MJ and that other dude.

What didn't work for me:

• Mysterio's reveal. Everything leading up to it was fine. And I appreciate that they try to avoid the cardinal sin of telling instead of showing via the flashbacks, but it doesn't really get all the way there for me. That whole speech sequence probably should be in Austin Powers instead of the MCU. A bit cringey.
  • Drone chasing/combat was mostly boring. Villains being faceless machines doesn't get me emotionally invested in sequences like the classmates being chased by them.

The stingers at the end will make for an interesting premise for the sequel. JJJ will always be JK Simmons in my mind. I loved that.

I can't believe they got J.K. Simmons back as Jameson! He was just too perfect in that role, and just like in the PS4 game of course he's an Alex Jones type nutjob. 

Mysterio was also a great villain, and I loved the illusion sequence. 

52 minutes ago, Brick said:

I can't believe they got J.K. Simmons back as Jameson! He was just too perfect in that role, and just like in the PS4 game of course he's an Alex Jones type nutjob. 

Mysterio was also a great villain, and I loved the illusion sequence. 

Both Simmons and the updated take on Jameson left the dopiest grin on my face. So great!

9 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

• Drone chasing/combat was mostly boring. Villains being faceless machines doesn't get me emotionally invested in sequences like the classmates being chased by them.

This is a good point. I feel that everything in the film worked quite well (especially the illusion sequences which is exactly what I wanted to see), but in the end watching Spider-Man kill drones is not very cool. I still think this was about as good of a job as they could possibly do with Mysterio.

In hindsight the best “meta” part of the movie is the in universe take on Thanos being called “the blip.”  A decade worth of unprecedented hype, profit, connected storytelling, and the thing for which this era of cinema will be most remembered for... and it’s the fucking blip.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Both Simmons and the updated take on Jameson left the dopiest grin on my face. So great!

I unfortunately had it spoiled that Simmons was back as Jameson because people just have to make memes on Instagram, and it comes up on my search feed as little thumbnails. Same with the zombie Iron Man. Still great though.