Spider-Man Far From Home Discussion Thread

legend

11 hours ago, Pikachu said:

Maria Hill

So is the MCU deciding to just forget Sharon Carter exists? It's kind of weird that they built her up as much as they did only to seemingly completely drop her (does she really have a story that can be picked back up with Steve Rogers out of the picture?). And I think I saw something that made it sound like whatever happened, it wasn't about Emily VanCamp not wanting to come back.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

So is the MCU deciding to just forget Sharon Carter exists? It's kind of weird that they built her up as much as they did only to seemingly completely drop her (does she really have a story that can be picked back up with Steve Rogers out of the picture?). And I think I saw something that made it sound like whatever happened, it wasn't about Emily VanCamp not wanting to come back.

well she was there more or less to be a love interest for Steve so when they decided to go the route they did with Cap they must have seen no reason to bring her back. I like her and her character, but not sure how she would really have fit in to the whole IW/Endgame scheme. 

Time travel and multiverses suck. It will take a lot for me to be convinced that the storytelling opportunities outweigh the difficulties in creating real stakes in such a situation. Comic books struggle with it (in my opinion) all the time and it'll be twice as hard in the MCU. 

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Time travel and multiverses suck. It will take a lot for me to be convinced that the storytelling opportunities outweigh the difficulties in creating real stakes in such a situation. Comic books struggle with it (in my opinion) all the time and it'll be twice as hard in the MCU. 

We just got done with a sequel to a movie in which half of all intelligent life on earth was obliterated, the notion of scope as a metric for stakes is just straight up off the table at this point. :p

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Brick said:

Why would they need the multiverse to bring in the Fantastic Four? X-Men and the whole mutant thing I get, but why FF? 

Because of the super successful FF movies that have been pre-established! :nerd:

Seriously, though, it potentially does give them a way to bring the FF in as “already established” in their own universe without having to have them be “new/rookie heroes”.

54 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Because of the super successful FF movies that have been pre-established! :nerd:

Seriously, though, it potentially does give them a way to bring the FF in as “already established” in their own universe without having to have them be “new/rookie heroes”.

I'm all in favor of anything that lets them avoid doing a bunch of origin stories in Phase 4.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm all in favor of anything that lets them avoid doing a bunch of origin stories in Phase 4.

Yes, agreed,, but only if it's not a shortcut to character establishment, growth, and development. Black Panther and Spider-Man retroactively did it, but it definitely hampered The Incredible Hulk as a movie some (just as an example.).

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Do we think they will cast relative unknowns for F4 and X-men, or will they get a few big names? Personally I hope they don't go too young with X-Men.

They should get the Saved by the Bell cast for X-Men. Screech would be the Wolverine we deserve.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I would agree, except a little storyline called the Age of Apocalypse was one of the greatest comic book events of all time and if done right on the big screen it could be one of the greatest series of movies of all time =)

If they followed the Kang storyline from the comics, then that would introduce Apocalypse as well. Having said that...I expect Marvel to go in a different direction with X-Men and try to avoid similarities with the previous versions. I would expect no Magneto or Apocalypse for a long time. Mr. Sinister would be a good opening villain though, combined with a low-level one like Omega Red or Juggernaut.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If they followed the Kang storyline from the comics, then that would introduce Apocalypse as well. Having said that...I expect Marvel to go in a different direction with X-Men and try to avoid similarities with the previous versions. I would expect no Magneto or Apocalypse for a long time. Mr. Sinister would be a good opening villain though, combined with a low-level one like Omega Red or Juggernaut.

They should do Apocalypse asap to erase the memory of the Fox version.

17 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I would agree, except a little storyline called the Age of Apocalypse was one of the greatest comic book events of all time and if done right on the big screen it could be one of the greatest series of movies of all time =)

I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just not worth the storytelling risks with something as big as the MCU is all.

20 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Do we think they will cast relative unknowns for F4 and X-men, or will they get a few big names? Personally I hope they don't go too young with X-Men.

I would agree with not going too young.

As a matter of fact... I would love it if they would find a way to keep Jackman as wolverine.  He is obviously getting old, but Wolverine is a pretty old guy with slowed aging.  Jackman could still play the role for another 10 years if he stays in shape.