Spider-Man Far From Home Discussion Thread

legend

6 hours ago, Jason said:

people happening GIF

True story, when trying to jokingly tell my dad that he "sucks the fun out of everything," my sister instead had a brainfart and told him he "fucks the sun out of everything". My 95 year old grandma was shocked. :lol:

• Shocked 2

• 1 month later...

I liked it a good bit. Avoid having the mid-credit tag spoiled as it is quite a delightful surprise. I have some questions about the end credit tag for the comic fans once y’all see it.

I just got back from the theater, and the delicate snowflake in me hates all women and their relationships with the boys - so this movie sucked. Eww, vagina.

Spoiler

And now with my standard female hating out of the way, I can freely say that this movie was merely okay. Obviously I found myself more invested in the elements having to do with the snap and the fallout of everyone returning from Endgame. But the movies overall narration quickly forgot about it and relied a little too heavily on Peter and his emotions towards Tony when it relied on anything outside of him trying to balance his school life and his superhero life. There at least should have been a lot more visuals of the fallout of what had happened since Endgame, if even in the background, especially since this movie was taking place all over Europe where we could see the world outside of the US.

But I think the biggest cramp of this movie is that it's more cute and family friendly than what the Marvel movie franchise has been for some time now. It's funny seeing scenes of high school stupidity between the classmates, and it's okay seeing big cg action with no real consequences to them. But there was just a little too much of it all going on here. A few plot elements would be brought up and kinda forgotten about later on ("I gotta protect my identity" - "You can take your mask off here, everyone knows you" - Big end fight in public ends with his mask off while he's with a schoolmate) etc. And the villain felt very generic and forced. We all should kinda know who it is, but I won't spoil it here. Just know that the motivations for murder and destruction are because of "stress" at the workplace. It was kind of a stupider version of Jim Carrey's Riddler from Batman Forever. I will say that I appreciated the stresses Peter was going through trying to manage his normal life with his superhero life, and how the two were constantly clashing with each other. But again, the stresses allowed a lot of scenes of "cuteness and child antics" to go on a little too long when he was trying to balance himself.

The cg was overwhelming at times, and the ways he would overcome the odds weren't all that different from each other (flip around, shoot webs, party like it's 1999 - repeat). The romances were cute, but never lended themselves to any cool scenarios. And while all of the actors were fine in their roles, they just kinda felt "stuck" ...

I wasn't expecting greatness here, and I certainly didn't get it. Which is fine. But that also doesn't excuse what this movie is. And I freely admit, just like with my opinions on the 'Into the Spider-verse' animated movie, I'm not a Spidey guy, and so I certainly have an extra " I don't get it" gene with this franchise already. It's a nice, safe-space phase 3 ending that doesn't create anything new for the Marvel universe.

B- for me.

(and yes, that mid credits scene is utterly fantastic! the end credits scene? :Dunno:)

Amusingly, @IdeaOfEvil, one of the reasons I gave last night to my buddies for why I liked it is the lower stakes and less serious tone of the film. Interesting how two people can recognize the same thing and one see it as a flaw and the other a strength :) 

Yeah, I really appreciated the overall tone of this one. I'm probably more inclined to enjoy some bumbling teen rom-com antics than some on this board, so that wasn't really a factor for me. 

I loved Mysterio. 

Spoiler

That whole scene in the bar, revealing the team, was fantastic. Gyllenhaal was perfect there. 

I enjoyed the hell out of this one

Spoiler

when Mysterio started to screw with reality around Peter!!! Classic Mysterio. I thought Gyllenhaal did a great job and was almost sad he ended up being the Mysterio we all know since the idea of him being a hero was kind of cool. 

mid credit scene was awesome! and as for the end credit scene, figure we kind of got a hint on where Phase 4 might be going. 

I enjoyed it. 

At this point Marvel has gotten pretty good at making these movies, so there aren't a ton of real surprises (sans the post credit scenes), but everything is executed very well. Holland continues to be a wonderful "friendly neighborhood spider-man," and I think the idea of his reluctance to take Iron Man's spotlight post Endgame makes for a compelling narrative thrust. Holland and Zendaya have great chemistry, and both play well into the innocence of the whole high school group. It gives the film a smaller, more personal, more restrained context that I think is a perfect backstop for Phase 3 of the MCU. There's time for Spider-Man to grow into a lead avenger, and he's perfectly capable of showing up for the big team up movies, so I relish these smaller MCU films when they find a way to fit them in.

On a side note: I saw the film in 3D thanks to showtime availability and it was the most uneven 3D I've seen in years. At times it was really great, and at others there were 3D oddities that I can't completely guarantee were inherent to the film and not to my specific theater. If anyone else sees it in 3D, let me know if you also saw some odd clipping and layering issues.

As for the credits scenes:

Spoiler

These were obviously the most impactful credit scenes in a while. Spider-man can no longer be anonymous (a decision I thought he was going to make at the end of the film himself, a-la Iron Man), and it's really setting up the Kree to be rather integral to phase 4. Initially, I was curious why Fury, of all people, was so instantly accepting of Beck, but making it Talos instead kinda fixes that. It brings up a whole host of other questions, but nothing particularly problematic.

It'll be interesting to see how Phase 4 is handled. Assuming that it culminates with the gathering of the new avengers, there are a few pretty good candidates for who should be in charge. Obviously This film sets up Spider-man as Tony's choice, Rhodes has a decent claim as a military man and vet, but probably isn't marketable enough. Black Panther is quite marketable, has some real leadership experience, but also has other obligations. The same could be said for Capt Marvel and Dr. Strange. Whatever the case, it'll be fun to see the new team come together.

I enjoyed it. Here are my Spider-Man movie rankings:

8) The Amazing Spider-Man 

7) The Amazing Spider-Man 2

6) Spider-Man 3

5) Spider-Man: Homecoming

4) Spider-Man 1

3) Spider-Man: Far From Home

2) Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

1) Spider-Man 2

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Hide contents

These were obviously the most impactful credit scenes in a while. Spider-man can no longer be anonymous (a decision I thought he was going to make at the end of the film himself, a-la Iron Man), and it's really setting up the Kree to be rather integral to phase 4. Initially, I was curious why Fury, of all people, was so instantly accepting of Beck, but making it Talos instead kinda fixes that. It brings up a whole host of other questions, but nothing particularly problematic.

Spoiler

Yes it being Talos might make it understandable that Fury accepted Beck right away, but it also then makes it fishy or odd or whatever you want to call it that he understood Happy's little message. 

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I enjoyed it. 

At this point Marvel has gotten pretty good at making these movies, so there aren't a ton of real surprises (sans the post credit scenes), but everything is executed very well. Holland continues to be a wonderful "friendly neighborhood spider-man," and I think the idea of his reluctance to take Iron Man's spotlight post Endgame makes for a compelling narrative thrust. Holland and Zendaya have great chemistry, and both play well into the innocence of the whole high school group. It gives the film a smaller, more personal, more restrained context that I think is a perfect backstop for Phase 3 of the MCU. There's time for Spider-Man to grow into a lead avenger, and he's perfectly capable of showing up for the big team up movies, so I relish these smaller MCU films when they find a way to fit them in.

On a side note: I saw the film in 3D thanks to showtime availability and it was the most uneven 3D I've seen in years. At times it was really great, and at others there were 3D oddities that I can't completely guarantee were inherent to the film and not to my specific theater. If anyone else sees it in 3D, let me know if you also saw some odd clipping and layering issues.

Reveal hidden contents

Over the years I've learned most projectionists are just shitty at their jobs too - 3D makes that more obvious (I hate 3D so I don't miss it but still). @sblfilms may be able to confirm/disconfirm but this has been my experience and what I've read over and over.

Yeah pretty much most are post production now. Still pretty strong up in Canada it seems from listings I see, but they are slightly down overall. Hoping to catch this in IMAX 3D but only seeing evening shows listed and they are a bit away. I was hoping to catch a matinee on Monday in Toronto before my Weird Al concert but in 2D. Plus I will have to import my 3D disc from Australia for home viewing

The mid credits scene has me super excited. I hope they don’t 

Spoiler

Have him be on the run in his next movie and end up in SF for a Venom crossover lol. I’m hoping for a build towards sinister 6. 

Movie overall I thought was mostly good. I feel like there are parts of this that are better than Homecoming but all together doesn’t quite reach it. 

Favorite two moments 

Spoiler

The video with I will always love you. Thought “oh god what the fuck is this” and then once I saw Getty images I started dying and it being a shitty iMovie by high school students is great. 

The whole airplane scene with the teacher was awesome. His wife fake blipping and his reaction to peter’s “perfume allergy”.

of course mysterio’s illusions with Peter were amazing  

Also related to the after credits scene 

Spoiler

Man I really didn’t like Sam Jackson or Cobie Smulders in this. And thank GOD Maria Hill actually got to actually do stuff for the first time in forever. With the reveal that they’re skrulls it makes sense that they felt off in the movie but doesn’t change how I felt about their characters knowing that info.

18 hours ago, Jason said:

Isn't pretty much all 3D post-production now? And isn't pretty much all projection digital now, as in, not much for a bad projectionist to fuck up? 

Correct, but my understanding is that digital projectors require skill and nuance too. I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

42 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Correct, but my understanding is that digital projectors require skill and nuance too. I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

Not really. It’s been about 6 years since I last made up a 3D print as a projectionist but it was a simple download from HDD or Satellite, drag and drop ads/trailers/lighting Qs and film into a playlist. Make sure you have everything set in the proper Flat or Scope ratio. Send from main HDD Hub to proper theatre projector HDD for playback. My Christie projectors had a 3D A or 3D B format (don’t know if any difference but always used B for some reason) Then drag across or swing the RealD screen in front of lense and project. Although I did see Suicide Squad at another theatre in 3D and for some reason the projection was bring foreground images back and background images forward. Really disorienting and got a free pass out of it. Overall everything worked out pretty easily but would get instructions from Disney to check and make sure the bulb was able to hit a certain Lambert/brightness for their shows. (I believe 2d we were roughly 16 but needed just over 4 for a good 3D showing) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

Not really. It’s been about 6 years since I last made up a 3D print as a projectionist but it was a simple download from HDD or Satellite, drag and drop ads/trailers/lighting Qs and film into a playlist. Make sure you have everything set in the proper Flat or Scope ratio. Send from main HDD Hub to proper theatre projector HDD for playback. My Christie projectors had a 3D A or 3D B format (don’t know if any difference but always used B for some reason) Then drag across or swing the RealD screen in front of lense and project. Although I did see Suicide Squad at another theatre in 3D and for some reason the projection was bring foreground images back and background images forward. Really disorienting and got a free pass out of it. Overall everything worked out pretty easily but would get instructions from Disney to check and make sure the bulb was able to hit a certain Lambert/brightness for their shows. (I believe 2d we were roughly 16 but needed just over 4 for a good 3D showing) 

Well there you go! Nice to hear it from someone who knows. I thought the bulbs/etc. affected things but maybe that's not digital? This was great stuff thank you!

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well there you go! Nice to hear it from someone who knows. I thought the bulbs/etc. affected things but maybe that's not digital? This was great stuff thank you!

No, bulbs still do need be kept an eye out on. When we had 35mm projectors we were suppose to be good between 2000-2500hrs on 4000k Xenon/Osram bulb, but they were known to blow before that time. Had a few that literally blew up when a show was running and put a few dents into the casing. With the digital projectors, they weren’t suppose to go any higher then 1250hrs for 3D screens (bulbs ran a little brighter) and 1500hrs for 2D screens(but became lax when they kicked us projectionists out and management took over) The big reason for this was because digital projectors use a glass reflector and not a metal reflector like the 35mm had. So HUGE expense if the bulb were to explode because it would easily take out that reflector too. Couple thousand easily for the reflector (last quote I remember hearing) We were forced to wear heavy musty leather jacket when we change out the bulbs, because they could kill us if dropped and not protected. They literally sound like a grenade/bomb going off when dropped in their box while wrapped in its safety plastic wrapping. The gentleman who trained me would take the heavy as hell metal pit the bulb struck to light itself and trade it in as scrap metal. In 6 months he could get enough parts to trade in for like $400. Plus he was also responsible in setting up the first permanent IMAX screen in Toronto. Bought tube amps from a local shop in Toronto to help setup that initial sound system. He said it was ugly and yet beautiful all at the same time. 

• Thanks 1

This was a good one of those and a very nice palate cleanser after Endgame. 

Regarding the mid credit scene I thought it was funny that 

Spoiler

JK Simmons came back as JJJ in a movie where they teased a multiverse. 

I kind of wonder what the long game is?

Spoiler

Spider-Man has a non trivial amount of cred in the MCU, selling the world on him being a villain seems like a bit of a stretch? Why would Mysterio burn Peter like that? I guess it’s possible he’s not dead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hide contents

Spider-Man has a non trivial amount of cred in the MCU, selling the world on him being a villain seems like a bit of a stretch? Why would Mysterio burn Peter like that? I guess it’s possible he’s not dead. 

Spoiler

If there is any of Spidey's foes that are going to be able to fake their death, Mysterio is the one.