All the NEW Awesome VR Shit!!!

Alpha1Cowboy

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Isn’t Quest basically just mobile-level VR games?

Yes and no, unlike the Oculus Go, it has a more powerful snap dragon chip on board and can run slightly scaled down versions of most of what's offered on Oculus Rift currently. Yes, its less visually powerful, but the developers are already compensating for its lack of brute force power with art styles and graphic tricks to provide some fairly compelling VR games even without a PC attached for the heavy lifting. It also has 6 degrees of movement as apposed to the GO's three, and the tracking of both the HMD and the controllers is supposed to be pretty damn good. I think of the Quest as a VR portable game system. At its price point and with its ease of use, I suspect it will enjoy some strong sales! 

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I would recommend a PSVR over Quest simply from a software standpoint. 

I think that it would depend on what your looking for. I have PSVR and an Oculus, and a VIve pro and each offer something a little different. What Quest offers is the least amount of inconvenience (no setup, its plug and play) and the most flexibility and freedom in its use. That said, It will have to grow a library if it hopes to compete with a Sony curated library of titles like those found on PSVR.  MY kids are really excited for the quest because the unit doesn't require my PC and they can play it in different rooms in the house, which is incredibly important at times! 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yes and no, unlike the Oculus Go, it has a more powerful snap dragon chip on board and can run slightly scaled down versions of most of what's offered on Oculus Rift currently. Yes, its less visually powerful, but the developers are already compensating for its lack of brute force power with art styles and graphic tricks to provide some fairly compelling VR games even without a PC attached for the heavy lifting. It also has 6 degrees of movement as apposed to the GO's three, and the tracking of both the HMD and the controllers is supposed to be pretty damn good. I think of the Quest as a VR portable game system. At its price point and with its ease of use, I suspect it will enjoy some strong sales! 

So... it’s not worth upgrading to if you already have a first gen (PC) VR set. :p 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

So... it’s not worth upgrading to if you already have a first gen (PC) VR set. :p 

That depends largely on what works or doesn't for you. It certainly isn't a replacement for a tethered HMD, but it you want the freedom and ease of use that the Quest offers, but still want "full" gaming experiences, then the Quest represents the most likely shot at a "sweet spot" between power and accessibility. I find that I play VR less than I'd like because, frankly, there are lots of little hurdles that make it almost unconsciously easier to just grab a controller and play a game on a traditional 2D display. The Quest is an affordable, smart piece of kit that addresses that those issues with what amounts to a VR game system. Its certainly not going to please everyone, but of the available options I think its the most well rounded. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That depends largely on what works or doesn't for you. It certainly isn't a replacement for a tethered HMD, but it you want the freedom and ease of use that the Quest offers, but still want "full" gaming experiences, then the Quest represents the most likely shot at a "sweet spot" between power and accessibility. I find that I play VR less than I'd like because, frankly, there are lots of little hurdles that make it almost unconsciously easier to just grab a controller and play a game on a traditional 2D display. The Quest is an affordable, smart piece of kit that addresses that those issues with what amounts to a VR game system. Its certainly not going to please everyone, but of the available options I think its the most well rounded. 

Stop trying to justify your purchase :talkhand:

Kidding :p 

Graphically/visually it’s going to be a downgrade from a PC set-up. It would be good/great for a non-PC gamer to grab as a first VR set, but for a first VR set for a PC gamer I think the S is where it’s at.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Stop trying to justify your purchase :talkhand:

Kidding :p 

Graphically/visually it’s going to be a downgrade from a PC set-up. It would be good/great for a non-PC gamer to grab as a first VR set, but for a first VR set for a PC gamer I think the S is where it’s at.

Image result for purchase justified animated gif

BTW, if I could do it again, I most certainly would go with Oculus + Touch over my Vive. The reliability of modding to get Oculus exclusive games to work on Vive is shaky at best, and some just flat-out don’t work due to the Touch Controllers not relying on crappy-ass track pads.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I think that it would depend on what your looking for. I have PSVR and an Oculus, and a VIve pro and each offer something a little different. What Quest offers is the least amount of inconvenience (no setup, its plug and play) and the most flexibility and freedom in its use. That said, It will have to grow a library if it hopes to compete with a Sony curated library of titles like those found on PSVR.  MY kids are really excited for the quest because the unit doesn't require my PC and they can play it in different rooms in the house, which is incredibly important at times! 

I understand all your points. My concerns would be that this is Facebook’s third device behind the Go and Rift that it needs to support, possible cellphone upgrade type business model, it’s a closed platform, and the 50 games available lean heavily in the launch era of VR.

I prefer the wireless direction over the self-contained direction for VR. 

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, if I could do it again, I most certainly would go with Oculus + Touch over my Vive. The reliability of modding to get Oculus exclusive games to work on Vive is shaky at best, and some just flat-out don’t work due to the Touch Controllers not relying on crappy-ass track pads.

Yeah, I can agree with that! Revive is nice, but it introduces a whole new layer of technical problems and makes what should be an intuitive play session, less so. The Vive/Oculus libraries are similar to the Android/iOS one in which the iOS has a better tier of games, but you know, you have to deal with the apples stuffs. 

7 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I understand all your points. My concerns would be that this is Facebook’s third device behind the Go and Rift that it needs to support, possible cellphone upgrade type business model, it’s a closed platform, and the 50 games available lean heavily in the launch era of VR.

I prefer the wireless direction over the self-contained direction for VR. 

I'm actually with you on that, but I feel like A.) the hardware isn't moving forward fast enough and B.) the advancements we are seeing keep coming in drips and drabs. I'll buy the first 4K per eye, larger FOV, wireless PC VR system that drops, but for now, the Quest seems like the most convenient and intuitive way to experience VR.  As for the Quests library, I guess time will tell if it flops or flourishes, but I'm guessing its price point will help it find some level of success, and with that success, I'm sure it will gain support.  You're right though, its launch library could be stronger. I do see the Quest as a piece of hardware that will be refreshed every couple of years, so I'm guessing it will iterate via hardware to stay relevant.