Internet angry over Scarlett Johansson playing a trans person

I hadn't been paying much attention to this because it didn't seem to deserve it... but I had assumed that people were mad because she was going to be playing a man who had transitioned into a woman. I could see how that might rub some people the wrong way... sure...

But people were mad because she was playing a woman who lives her life as a man? Really?

24 minutes ago, ort said:

I hadn't been paying much attention to this because it didn't seem to deserve it... but I had assumed that people were mad because she was going to be playing a man who had transitioned into a woman. I could see how that might rub some people the wrong way... sure...

But people were mad because she was playing a woman who lives her life as a man? Really?

No, they were upset that a cisperson was playing a transperson more generally. Not the genders being played specifically. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/future-of-rub-tug-film-in-limbo-after-scarlett-johansson-s-exit/ar-AAAaHcY?ocid=AMZN

The future of "Rub & Tug" is in limbo following Scarlett Johansson's exit from the project because of objections to her playing a trans man.

According to an individual with knowledge of the project, it is unclear if "Rub & Tug" will actually go into production. The insider indicated it doesn't look good for the movie, which still has director Rupert Sanders attached.

Johansson's production company, These Pictures, was a producer on the project, and it's unclear whether Johansson and These Pictures will stay on to produce. Joel Silver's Silver Pictures is also listed as a production company on the film, but Silver did not respond to requests for comment.

She should cut all ties with the movie.

I just want to see Scar Jo naked with her big boobs and a huge penis...

Do people get mad that the retarded community is underrepresented in film?  I mean I'm sure Forrest Gump should have cast an actual retarded person.  

Fucking identity politics!!!

I think the issue is ScarJo may not want to help fund the project because without her starring in it, it’s earning potential is significantly lower. From a public image point of view it’s probably good to keep the film alive and say some “this is a story that needs to be told” bs. But I don’t think she needs that. She’s one of the stars of the MCU. 

43 minutes ago, johnny said:

I think the issue is ScarJo may not want to help fund the project because without her starring in it, it’s earning potential is significantly lower. From a public image point of view it’s probably good to keep the film alive and say some “this is a story that needs to be told” bs. But I don’t think she needs that. She’s one of the stars of the MCU. 

Bingo. Although she could conceivably still participate and help the movie get made.  The irony is there isnt a trans actor out there that could get a film like this made.  I assume it had a decent budget. Instead of taking her ball and going home she should stay on as a producer in name only, and see if she can help the film get made and repair her image a bit.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Because she could be blamed for profiteering from a trans movie, taking a producer spot from a trans person, preventing a trans production company from producing the movie etc etc. They could find many ways to sink her career.

:jordan:

• Thanks 1