Puppies!

JosephManderley

My wife and I adopted 2 dogs a couple of weeks ago, they had been rescued from a puppy farm where they were in horrible conditions.

The larger of the two, Rosie, looked pregnant, which a trip to the vet confirmed. 4, possibly 5, Puppies due.  The smaller one, Lily, was very thin and shy, and we were concentrating on getting some weight on her.

Imagine my surprise on waking this morning, to find Lily, giving birth!

2 Puppies, both boys. Only 1 visible in the picture, Brownie.

Qeqnkwn.jpg

• Like 2

good for you, its great to rescue and adopt. 

i used to only get pure-bred dogs, then my wife and i decided we would do the right thing and rescue. turns out the rescue we went to was a bunch of bullshit, just a puppy-mill re-branded as a rescue. they ship dogs up en masse from the south in horrible condition (intentionally). then sell you a dog that looks like you're actually adopting a rescue. 

my dog is a catahoula leopard hound. she has a little boxer and pit in her as well. her and one of her brothers were the only ones to survive. all the puppies died of the condition they were in. basically every parasite under the sun. shes healthy and doing great now..but it cost me an arm and a leg to get her back to health. 

She is a bit nutty and very active, so we were considering another dog give her a buddy to play with. my wife was putting feelers out for another rescue dog and a friend of hers contacted us about a pure-bred yellow lab that the owner no longer wanted. only 16 months old. we figured there was something wrong with her. so we go visit the dog and she is in perfect health, sweetest dog ever and loved my kids instantly. house broken and had all her shots. i couldnt figure these people out. so i asked why are doing this? basically, the dude didnt like all the shedding (they had another lab - her old brother and he couldnt deal with all of it). he also didnt like them tracking dirt in the house from outside, so he put these dogs in booties to go out, lol. and they were only allowed to go out, poop/pee and come right back in. the couple were both nurses and worked the same shift...so they both spent 12-13hrs/day in a cage. just terrible. She has been an awesome fit for our family and my other dog instantly loved her and they are buds. they play wrestle, hang in the backyard together and cuddle together. we even asked if they would like us to take the other lab, but they said no as the daughter was attached to him (he was 5). i feel bad for that dog though. he lost his friend/sister and now just spends most of his days locked in a cage. 

fucking people man... 

On 4/30/2019 at 8:50 AM, atom631 said:

i used to only get pure-bred dogs, then my wife and i decided we would do the right thing and rescue. turns out the rescue we went to was a bunch of bullshit, just a puppy-mill re-branded as a rescue. they ship dogs up en masse from the south in horrible condition (intentionally). then sell you a dog that looks like you're actually adopting a rescue. 

my dog is a catahoula leopard hound. she has a little boxer and pit in her as well. her and one of her brothers were the only ones to survive. all the puppies died of the condition they were in. basically every parasite under the sun. shes healthy and doing great now..but it cost me an arm and a leg to get her back to health. 

She is a bit nutty and very active, so we were considering another dog give her a buddy to play with. my wife was putting feelers out for another rescue dog and a friend of hers contacted us about a pure-bred yellow lab that the owner no longer wanted. only 16 months old. we figured there was something wrong with her. so we go visit the dog and she is in perfect health, sweetest dog ever and loved my kids instantly. house broken and had all her shots. i couldnt figure these people out. so i asked why are doing this? basically, the dude didnt like all the shedding (they had another lab - her old brother and he couldnt deal with all of it). he also didnt like them tracking dirt in the house from outside, so he put these dogs in booties to go out, lol. and they were only allowed to go out, poop/pee and come right back in. the couple were both nurses and worked the same shift...so they both spent 12-13hrs/day in a cage. just terrible. She has been an awesome fit for our family and my other dog instantly loved her and they are buds. they play wrestle, hang in the backyard together and cuddle together. we even asked if they would like us to take the other lab, but they said no as the daughter was attached to him (he was 5). i feel bad for that dog though. he lost his friend/sister and now just spends most of his days locked in a cage. 

fucking people man... 

Some people don't feel for other animals.

My wife and I have an appointment this weekend to meet some rescue pups, we're hoping to adopt 2. If all goes well we'll do all the paperwork for two dogs this weekend, have them board it for a week while we get all the food/supplies/etc and bring them home next week.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:18 AM, JosephManderley said:

It is, but she is so small, and was underweight when we got her. (She still is a little). So I think that is why?

That's what I figured, but wasn't sure.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:50 AM, atom631 said:

fucking people man... 

Real rescues won't give you the dog in terrible condition, they do everything before you get them, except with puppies sometimes vaccines if they're not old enough.

Was pretty disappointed with our rescue experience today. I don't know what I expected, but I didn't feel like I could connect with the three dogs we saw, and they only bring one out a time, they were so scared I didn't know if they could come out of their shell or not. All they wanted was to run back inside and hide. 

On 5/4/2019 at 12:41 PM, PaladinSolo said:

Real rescues won't give you the dog in terrible condition, they do everything before you get them, except with puppies sometimes vaccines if they're not old enough.

agreed. we learned our lesson. they said the puppy was sick and they rescued her and nursed her back to health with "their vet". they gave us this brown liquid and said it helps prevent kennel cough. and that we could get a free vet visit if we used their vet for the first checkup. i declined and said i would take her to my vet. 

every one of her litter mates that went to their vet died. turned out to not be a real vet at all. 

the rescue has since been shutdown by a crusade led by my wife. she was even on the news for it and held protests out front. it got wild for a little bit with people doing drivebys at our house and shit. appearently these people how been running shady puppy operations all over LI under different alias and names. Switching from pet stores to rescues, etc. They have since moved down south after this store closed and they were banned from operating any business having to do with animals. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...