NRA Takes a Shot at Its Own President, Oliver North, in Court

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nra-takes-a-shot-in-court-at-ollie-north-its-own-president-in-court

The National Rifle Association took a shot at its own president just days before the kick-off of its huge national meeting.

An updated version of a civil complaint, entered in Virginia state court on April 24, make new claims about Col. Oliver North’s relationship with the company that runs NRATV, the video network linked to the gun-rights group. The filings are part of an eye-popping lawsuit the organization filed against its long-time ad agency, which built and runs the network. The suit gives a rare narrative of the tension within the organization. And the updates to the litigation, which have not been previously reported, indicate that friction in the organization is so hot that the NRA is willing to zero in on its own president.

The initial complaint, filed on April 12, discussed North’s contract with Ackerman McQueen, the advertising firm it has worked with for upwards of 30 years. But it didn’t provide much detail on North’s relationship with the ad agency beyond that he would help it produce a documentary series for NRATV.

The updates to the complaint include more detail about North’s work and point to deep irritation between the group and its president. Not only did North fail to deliver on all of the material he promised for NRATV, the suit alleges. North, in effect, double-dipped by drawing a salary from both the gun-rights group and Ackerman McQueen at the same time. Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal published a letter LaPierre sent to the NRA board on Thursday alleging that North tried to blackmail him into quitting the organization.

f5axBKB.gif

50 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

NRA will be around for a long time if not till the US no longer exists, but its current hard turn toward the GOP has kneecapped its political power.

It really hasn’t. And what turn towards the GOP? The NRA has always been a very, very republican organization.

Just bought my son a lifetime membership during SHOT show.

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It really hasn’t. And what turn towards the GOP? The NRA has always been a very, very republican organization.

Just bought my son a lifetime membership during SHOT show.

In the 90s they gave as much as 40% of their donations to democratic candidates, and as recently as 2010 gave 20%, now its less than 2%, but i'm not surprised you're clueless on this.  This allowed them to shut down gun legislation, now dems openly challenge them and one almost won a statewide election in Texas doing so.  Just this year democrats in the house passed a couple gun control bills, something that would have been considered political suicide a decade ago.

• 1 month later...

The NYT article on the turmoil is fascinating (Rico's link).

“When given the opportunity to do the right thing, the N.R.A. once again has taken action that we believe is intended to harm our company even at the expense of the N.R.A. itself,” the company added. It said it “will continue to fight against the N.R.A.’s repeated violations of its agreement with our company with every legal remedy available to us.”

The development is the latest in what has been a tumultuous year for the N.R.A. It has struggled to right its finances; faced investigations in Congress and by Letitia James, the New York attorney general; and witnessed a leadership struggle that pitted Oliver North, the N.R.A.’s former president, against Mr. LaPierre. Last week, The Times reported that the N.R.A. had suspended Christopher W. Cox, its longtime second-in-command, after a legal filing by the N.R.A. implicated him in a failed plot to oust Mr. LaPierre. Mr. Cox has strongly rejected such allegations.

N.R.A. officials had grown leery of the cost of creating so much live content for NRATV, which was started in 2016, and wondered whether it was worth the return on its investment. The site’s web traffic was minuscule, with 49,000 unique visitors in January, according to a report provided by Comscore.

A show hosted by Ms. Loesch that put Ku Klux Klan hoods on talking trains from the popular children’s program “Thomas & Friends” drew outrage from some within the organization.

If you haven't seen what that looks like:

180913150745-thomas-the-tank-engine-kkk-

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

they'll still stop gun control legislation from passing

Well when prominent leftist senators vote against legislation like the Brady Bill, or legislation that prevents gun manufacturers/dealers from being held criminally liable, their job is basically done for them.

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

Well when prominent leftist senators vote against legislation like the Brady Bill, or legislation that prevents gun manufacturers/dealers from being held criminally liable, their job is basically done for them.

I don't see how the manufacturer should be held liable. I believe a gun dealer who sells a gun illegally should be charged. I believe anyone who circumvents gun laws should be charged. But suing gun companies because an idiot shoots people? How does that make any sense? 

25 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I don't see how the manufacturer should be held liable. I believe a gun dealer who sells a gun illegally should be charged. I believe anyone who circumvents gun laws should be charged. But suing gun companies because an idiot shoots people? How does that make any sense? 

Should consumer goods companies not be subject to CPSC oversight? Even if the goods are used in a fashion inconsistent with intended use, recalls can be issued and fines imposed.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Should consumer goods companies not be subject to CPSC oversight? Even if the goods are used in a fashion inconsistent with intended use, recalls can be issued and fines imposed.

But guns aren't functioning in a way not intended. It's not the guns fault it's user is a nutcase. 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Do you have any examples of that actually happening? I'm trying to do my own Google search and all I'm getting is stuff like "Ford unintended rollaway", not endusers finding an unintended use for something.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Do you have any examples of that actually happening? I'm trying to do my own Google search and all I'm getting is stuff like "Ford unintended rollaway", not endusers finding an unintended use for something.

Buckyballs and metal lawn darts. Both recalled when users (typically children or teens) misused the product and caused serious injury or death. 

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Buckyballs and metal lawn darts. Both recalled when users (typically children or teens) misused the product and caused serious injury or death. 

The Buckyballs one was framed as being about protecting da childrunz. 

Buckyball advocates and even one CSPC commissioner have argued that the CPSC's actions against Buckyballs were unfair and unprecedented, and that the commission's settlement with Zucker out of court was something of an admission that perhaps they'd gone further than reasonable in trying to prevent harm to children. Some even suggest that the CSPC's actions were vindictive, that they went after Zucker personally because he refused to concede to their judgment, and because he spoke out against what he saw as hypocrisy. In fact, just today, the conservative watchdog Cause of Action filed a letter with the Inspector General of the CSPC alleging myriad improprieties on the part of the CSPC.

https://gizmodo.com/how-buckyballs-fell-apart-1609183224

I'm assuming the lawn darts one was similar. 

13 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

That really isn’t true at all. It’s dead because of corruption. 

Comparing lawn darts to guns? Apples to oranges. Toys are regulated to save children from themselves. Guns, otoh, should never be in the hands of a child without direct supervision. Guns are not toys, and vice versa. Guns work only as intended. Buckyballs and lawndarts has unintended dangers when used properly. For a gun to be dangerous it has to be intentionally misused.

plus, shall not infringe.

29 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Probably less than the amount who die in car accidents every year.

graph-for-press-release.jpg

Not by much, but you do realize vehicles are heavily regulated and require a license, right? Almost half the states outpace vehicles in terms of deaths, and we didn't remove regulations from cars to get it there. Proves b_m's point fantastically, actually.

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

That really isn’t true at all. It’s dead because of corruption. 

Comparing lawn darts to guns? Apples to oranges. Toys are regulated to save children from themselves. Guns, otoh, should never be in the hands of a child without direct supervision. Guns are not toys, and vice versa. Guns work only as intended. Buckyballs and lawndarts has unintended dangers when used properly. For a gun to be dangerous it has to be intentionally misused.

plus, shall not infringe.

Some people are just so fucking stupid, the intended purpose of a firearm is to kill things...  When its used properly its fucking dangerous...