BO Report: Endgame expected to end (that's the pun part) opening day around $140 FREAKING MILLION. JUST THE FIRST DAY. UPDATE: Estimates are $350 million opening weekend, $1.2 billion worldwide

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Some people believe it's because TLJ has hurt all Disney movies. These people are idiots.

They are indeed. 

Also seems to be seeing revelation: A previously positive character is now haunted by their failures that caused many deaths, that they feel responsible for. 

TLJ: terrible. Would never happen. Luke is GOAT. 

Endgame: what a great arc for Thor. Definitely believable he’d be suffering like that. 

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Not surprised at all. TFW awakens released when people were out of school. Weather it will get close to TFA total remains to be seen. 

It did, but the second weekend is around the same as TFA (a bit lower, but it might just be a conservative estimate) and kids are off from school. So my curiosity will be what the second week looks like in comparison to TFA, and then what its drop is compared to TFA's third weekend since it plummeted at that point due to school.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It did, but the second weekend is around the same as TFA (a bit lower, but it might just be a conservative estimate) and kids are off from school. So my curiosity will be what the second week looks like in comparison to TFA, and then what its drop is compared to TFA's third weekend since it plummeted at that point due to school.

Where the heck are you that kids are off from school? 

2 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I totally read what he wrote wrong :p ...when he said trailing, I thought he meant behind. I hadn't even looked at a comparison of the two. I knew worldwide it was blowing everything out of the water but hadn't looked at the US only number. The truth is Endgame is leading TFA not trailing.  

I said trailing since the first weekend ended, meaning day-to-day TFA has outgrossed it since its opening weekend. While kids were off from school, I find those 2015 numbers really impressive.

I'm guessing that won't be the case next week.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I said trailing since the first weekend ended, meaning day-to-day TFA has outgrossed it since its opening weekend. While kids were off from school, I find those 2015 numbers really impressive.

I'm guessing that won't be the case next week.

you find those numbers impressive because the where and ARE impressive. Insanely so. But you also have to consider TFA was 45 minutes shorter, meaning that more shows could be squeezed in, though that might be offset by the wider opening of Endgame. Also you have to consider that the world had been a while for a new Star Wars flick....and really almost forever for a new GOOD star wars flick. We've had 10+ years of multiple marvel releases a year. Also there were generations of people going to see TFA, not sure if that is the same with the Marvel flicks. I mean even my mom went to see the TFA. Of course  I don't think it matters which one comes out on top that much, regardless Disney is laughing all the way to the bank. 

On 5/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, EternallDarkness said:

you find those numbers impressive because the where and ARE impressive. Insanely so. But you also have to consider TFA was 45 minutes shorter, meaning that more shows could be squeezed in, though that might be offset by the wider opening of Endgame. Also you have to consider that the world had been a while for a new Star Wars flick....and really almost forever for a new GOOD star wars flick. We've had 10+ years of multiple marvel releases a year. Also there were generations of people going to see TFA, not sure if that is the same with the Marvel flicks. I mean even my mom went to see the TFA. Of course  I don't think it matters which one comes out on top that much, regardless Disney is laughing all the way to the bank. 

Shorter run time, but overnight shows and a wider release for Endgame which built up its initial weekend. Clearly this is not the case worldwide as it's smashed the $2 billion mark, but IIRC, some areas aren't as receptive to Star Wars.

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

They are indeed. 

Also seems to be seeing revelation: A previously positive character is now haunted by their failures that caused many deaths, that they feel responsible for. 

TLJ: terrible. Would never happen. Luke is GOAT. 

Endgame: what a great arc for Thor. Definitely believable he’d be suffering like that. 

Wow those character arcs aren't comparable at ALL.

Just now, Reputator said:

Wow those character arcs aren't comparable at ALL.

I think it's more about the idea that people deal with grief and guilt differently, and both of these characters are dealing with similar feelings. It's normal for people to abandon responsibilities, and that makes Luke's (and Thor's) response quite normal, and makes them more like normal people. What makes them heroes again is realizing they were wrong, and responding again to a call for action. I think a lot of people don't like this because they believe that a true hero is always willing to fight and do the right thing. Making Luke more like a real person (flawed) turned a lot of people off. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think it's more about the idea that people deal with grief and guilt differently, and both of these characters are dealing with similar feelings. It's normal for people to abandon responsibilities, and that makes Luke's (and Thor's) response quite normal, and makes them more like normal people. What makes them heroes again is realizing they were wrong, and responding again to a call for action. I think a lot of people don't like this because they believe that a true hero is always willing to fight and do the right thing. Making Luke more like a real person (flawed) turned a lot of people off. 

Well, not that's relevant to the box office discussion, but I would not agree that the depiction of "grief" in Luke was in any way normal. It's false equivalence to say that people don't like grieving characters because Luke was done wrong. And by most measures, both movies, especially EG, have done and are doing very well monetarily.

10 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Well, not that's relevant to the box office discussion, but I would not agree that the depiction of "grief" in Luke was in any way normal. It's false equivalence to say that people don't like grieving characters because Luke was done wrong. And by most measures, both movies, especially EG, have done and are doing very well monetarily.

Agree to disagree. And people grieve in very different ways. When my dad died I went to work the next day and didn't think it was a big deal, but it hit me hard after that. Turning yourself away from the world and blaming yourself for other's mistakes is a very common form of grief.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

One arc is believable, the other isn't. the problem being with Thor we saw his loss, the weight of him getting his shot in at the end of IW and failing..should have gone for the head. Then in Endgame we see him get his second chance only to find out he's too late and the stones have been destroyed...he's failed again, the weight crushes him. With Luke, did we see any of that? No. We saw him pushed to the very edge, almost killing his father only to reject the darkness. At the end of RoTJ he's not distraught, he's prove himself and his faith in goodness in people has been renewed.  Sure he's sad at the loss, but he also seems content if not happy with the 'ghosts' of his father/mentors looking. So after surviving all that and standing strong to his beliefs it just feels disingenuous to believe he suddenly almost gave in and tried to kill Kylo. Maybe had they shown us some new ordeal or trials and he suffered, but they never showed us enough, at least in my opinion, to believe anything intense enough had occurred to change the very core of who his character is/was. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Agree to disagree. And people grieve in very different ways. When my dad died I went to work the next day and didn't think it was a big deal, but it hit me hard after that. Turning yourself away from the world and blaming yourself for other's mistakes is a very common form of grief.

If that was all there was to it, then sure. But that's not what happened.

12 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

damn Monday's numbers really show the power of releasing during the holidays when everyone is out of school. 2nd Monday for Endgame is 10.7 million whereas for TFA it was 31 mil and 27 mil for TLJ. 

It is worth noting that not all movie goers will see a movie in theaters more than once. And while TFA and TLJ has stronger 2nd Monday by 2-3x; Endgame beat their opening week by 2-3x. 

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It is worth noting that not all movie goers will see a movie in theaters more than once. And while TFA and TLJ has stronger 2nd Monday by 2-3x; Endgame beat their opening week by 2-3x. 

I'm not really trying to directly compare them, not really (even though I am comparing them :p ) merely making a statement about how 'must see' movies really do benefit from the 'not in school factor'.  And even then it's more that holiday/not in school factor because even massive movies released in the summer don't tend to hold like holiday releases...of course summer releases also tend to see a hell of a lot more competition as well. 

'Avengers: Endgame' Leads Record-Breaking April at the Domestic Box Office

At the end of March, the 2019 box office was at its lowest point when compared to the five last years and trailing 2018 by -16%. By the end of a record-setting April at the domestic box office, that gap in the year-over-year performance started to close with 2019 now trailing 2018 by -11.8%, and just seven days into May that gap continues to shrink as we move into summer 2019.

April 2019 saw record box office grosses topping $1.034 billion in ticket sales, the bulk of which was earned over the final days of the month thanks to the record-breaking release of Avengers: Endgame, which brought in over $427 million (41.3%) of the month's total grosses. Last year the April box office topped $1 billion for the first time ever, led by Avengers: Infinity War, which also delivered a record-breaking opening, but in the end that film's $282.4 million comprised only 27.5% of the month's overall box office. All that being said, while 2019 is currently a down year at the box office, it isn't as black and white as it may seem.

While 2019 is pacing behind what turned out to be a record-breaking 2018 at the domestic box office, the first four months of 2018 saw over $960 million come from films that were released at the end of 2017, the bulk of which coming from Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($235.3 million), The Greatest Showman ($124.6 million) and Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($102.9 million) totaling over $462 million of that figure. Ultimately, Jumanji even ranked within the yearly top ten as the seventh highest grossing release in 2018, which is a rare occurrence at the box office that has only happened two other times in the past ten years — Star Wars: The Force Awakens and American Sniper.

• 2 weeks later...