Rescue efforts have begun for 12 young boys trapped in flooded Thai cave. 11-hour round trip for divers.

I dislike Musk because he's a petty egomaniac who thinks he knows more than he does. 

How about this winning tweet and thread?

The content of this response itself is stupid, but it's also a completely unnecessary petty attack for someone of his position. All it does is sick his disgusting fan boys on this person so they can high five and circle jerk to the alter of Musk. Just look at the bullshit responses. His need to tackle any such slight like this is not dissimilar from Trump.

Or you can go and look at when he attacked (comparatively) small time Upulie Divisekera (who didn't like his idea about people voting on news trustworthiness) over the fact that she has the word "nanotechnologist" in her bio and apparently that's "bull shit." Nevermind that there is legitimate nanotechnology science and that she actively contributes to the field.

Or you can look at how he talks completely out of his ass about AI but thinks he somehow is an expert on it, because he's hired people who work on AI.

He's pushed for some really cool stuff, but he has a gross personality.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, johnny said:

Musk has done some cool shit. I find it hard to actually dislike the guy even if he’s a whishful thinking attention whore. 

Pretty easy when you realize he has more wealth than almost everyone will get in their lifetime, yet he is hell-bent on making sure his employees can't join a union to improve their wages, working conditions, and other workplace issues (of which there are many documented cases). 

Him being a Tony Stark wannabe doesn't factor into the equation.

1 minute ago, legend said:

I dislike Musk because he's a petty egomaniac who thinks he knows more than he does. 

How about this winning tweet and thread?

This is a completely unnecessary attack for someone of his position. All it does is sick his disgusting fan boys on this person so they can high five and circle jerk to the alter of Musk. Just look at the bullshit responses. His need to tackle any such slight like this is not dissimilar from Trump.

Or you can go and look at when he attacked small time Upulie Divisekera who didn't like his idea about people voting on news trustworthiness because she has the word "nanotechnologist" in her bio and apparently that's "bull shit." Nevermind that there is legitimate nanotechnology science and that she actively contributes to the field.

Or you can look at how he talks completely out of his ass about AI but thinks he somehow is an expert on it, because he's hired people who work on AI.

He's pushed for some really cool stuff, but he has a gross personality.

With all fairness, egomaniacs are usually the people who have the biggest impact on our civilization.  Not that being an egomaniac is desirable, but in the overall context, it could be!?

6 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

With all fairness, egomaniacs are usually the people who have the biggest impact on our civilization.  Not that being an egomaniac is desirable, but in the overall context, it could be!?

I think it's incredibly hard to quantify that, if for nothing else than the fact that the names you'll remember will tend to be egomaniacs, impact aside, because they're often optimizing for attention. It is true that many highly influential egomaniacs have existed in our history. But I'm not so sure it's usually the case. There are any number of hugely important scientists and mathematicians whose work has catapulted our society, and yet people don't know their names. Elon got his name because he's in the media and works the business angle to make his wealth. 

I also definitely don't think it goes the other direction (I've met a lot of tremendously mediocre egomaniacs).  

Ultimately though, it's kind of beyond the point. You can appreciate Space X and Tesla while disliking the person and highlighting his faults. It's something more people should do, because his "fan" base really doesn't help.

6 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Those people have "earned" the privilege of their egomania through their civilizational impact - Elon is still very, very, very, very, very far away from doing that.

4 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Musk is not one of those people.  

See above.

1 minute ago, legend said:

I think it's incredibly hard to quantify that, if for nothing else than the fact that the names you'll remember will tend to be egomaniacs, impact aside, because their often optimizing for attention. It is true that many highly influential egomaniacs have existed in our history. But I'm not so sure it's usually the case. There are any number of hugely important scientists and mathematicians whose work has catapulted our society, and yet people don't know their name. Elon got his name because he's in the media and works the business angle to make his wealth. 

I also definitely don't think it goes the other direction (I've met a lot of tremendously mediocre egomaniacs).  

Ultimately though, it's kind of beyond the point. You can appreciate Space X and Tesla while disliking the person and highlighting his faults. It's something more people should do, because his "fan" base really doesn't help.

I agree with this, thanks.  

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Those people have "earned" the privilege of their egomania through their civilizational impact - Elon is still very, very far away from doing that.

See above.

I beg to differ...

13 minutes ago, legend said:

I think it's incredibly hard to quantify that, if for nothing else than the fact that the names you'll remember will tend to be egomaniacs, impact aside, because they're often optimizing for attention. It is true that many highly influential egomaniacs have existed in our history. But I'm not so sure it's usually the case. There are any number of hugely important scientists and mathematicians whose work has catapulted our society, and yet people don't know their names. Elon got his name because he's in the media and works the business angle to make his wealth. 

Isn't that how it always goes? Wozniak created the original Apple computers. Ives created the iconic designs. The rest of the countless engineers made it all possible. Jobs just wanted all the money he could get. He's the one everyone worships.

At the very least, Musk cares a little more about the world than he does. Even if it's just to inflate his own ego. He still wants to be known as the guy who makes weird submarines to save some kids in a cave.

I don't disagree with your points, don't get me wrong. But I'd rather see people worship Musk over people like Jobs. For all his faults and delusions, he at least has a good chance at shaping the world for the better, even if the real work is being done by the people he hires, just so he can feed his own ego.

That's why I can't hate him, just how people have made him beyond criticism.

11 minutes ago, Scape Zero said:

Isn't that how it always goes? Wozniak created the original Apple computers. Ives created the iconic designs. The rest of the countless engineers made it all possible. Jobs just wanted all the money he could get. He's the one everyone worships.

At the very least, Musk cares a little more about the world than he does. Even if it's just to inflate his own ego. He still wants to be known as the guy who makes weird submarines to save some kids in a cave.

I don't disagree with your points, don't get me wrong. But I'd rather see people worship Musk over people like Jobs. For all his faults and delusions, he at least has a good chance at shaping the world for the better, even if the real work is being done by the people he hires, just so he can feed his own ego.

That's why I can't hate him, just how people have made him beyond criticism.

I think Jobs was uniquely talented, just not in the engineering sense (although he wasn't bad, he wasn't great, either). He had a great sense for what a technology product should be, more than most people in tech. But I absolutely agree with you that Jobs gets the name recognition because he's an egomaniac and extended it far beyond reality to his and others' detriment.

I don't think I'd like people to worship either of them. It's just plain bad. If we can ever dissuade people from that attitude, I don't think we have to compromise on them only worshiping one shit head :p That is of course, a big if.

I don't hate Musk either. I'd rather he existed than not. Same goes for Jobs. Hate is a pretty strong word and it takes a lot to get into that category for me. Nevertheless, I've come to dislike him as a person the more I learned about him and I find the worship of him gross.

8 minutes ago, legend said:

I think Jobs was uniquely talented, just not in the engineering sense (although he wasn't bad, he wasn't great, either). He had a great sense for what a technology product should be, more than most people in tech. But I absolutely agree with you that Jobs gets the name recognition because he's an egomaniac and extended it far beyond reality to his and others' detriment.

I don't think I'd like people to worship either of them. It's just plain bad. If we can ever dissuade people from that attitude, I don't think we have to compromise on them only worshiping one shit head :p That is of course, a big if.

I don't hate Musk either. I'd rather he existed than not. Same goes for Jobs. Hate is a pretty strong word and it takes a lot to get into that category for me. Nevertheless, I've come to dislike him as a person the more I learned about him and I find the worship of him gross.

I agree, but I also believe his accomplishments should be recognized for what they are, regardless of his faults.  

The worship of any person is gross.  

5 minutes ago, legend said:

Eh. I dunno if I fully agree. I think a lot of people had the same ideas he had, they where just more realistic about when it would be possible. It's why the Apple III was such a disaster. I think plenty of people knew the future of computers should be silent, they also just knew that the technology to make that happen wasn't here yet. I think he was good at seeing what was a good idea, the problem there though, was almost all those ideas where something someone else came up with. He just took the idea and marketed it better.

Yeah I fully agree. I think a certain level of worship can be okay at some points though. Not to the extent either of them are, but enough to keep people motivated to do what they do. If tomorrow everyone forgot all about who Musk is, I think he would also stop trying spur of the moment things (like that submarine) that could maybe help someone. If you are motivated by ego (like most of these people are), will you keep trying to be known as the person who saved the universe when people stop worshipping you for trying to save the universe? And I fully agree. I think the people doing the real work deserve much more recognition. They are the ones making it really happen.

Yeah, can't say I'm really against feeling that way.

4 hours ago, legend said:

We'll have to leave the topic of Job's talent for another thread. Seems like we're mostly on the same page on this matter though. :coffee:

But ever since DVD got banned I don't have anyone to shit talk Apple too :cry:

Hahaha, but yeah, we mostly agree.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

In the early 90s more people would be with you on this. But he's proven to be a genuinely good dude since the mid 00s.

I mean, Musk is probably doing more good than Gates was at the similar point in his trajectory. From what I recall, Gates screwed a LOT of people to get where he did.

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

Chicago's letting him build this thing, connecting O'Hare to downtown, (the Blue Line does this already, but improving already existing public transport is just an absurd idea apparently) and I'm terrified it's going to be a massive boondoggle

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/7/10/17549684/elon-musk-boring-company-ohare-express

Moreso than any other public transport boondoggle? 

38 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Chicago's letting him build this thing, connecting O'Hare to downtown, (the Blue Line does this already, but improving already existing public transport is just an absurd idea apparently) and I'm terrified it's going to be a massive boondoggle

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/7/10/17549684/elon-musk-boring-company-ohare-express

I will eat a fucking crow if that thing is operational in 24 months. Hell, if it’s even CLOSE to operational within five years and isn’t a massive fucking disaster by that time, I’ll eat a crow. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I mean, Musk is probably doing more good than Gates was at the similar point in his trajectory. From what I recall, Gates screwed a LOT of people to get where he did.

Yeah but Gates is gonna donate effectively all his money when he dies. I think that's at least sightly redeeming.

57 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Define "good" and I'm being very serious about that.

good
ɡo͝od/
adjective
adjective: good; comparative adjective: better; superlative adjective: best
  1. 1.
    to be desired or approved of.
    "we live at peace with each other, which is good"
    synonyms: healthy, fine, sound, tip-top, hale and hearty, fit, robust, sturdy, strong, vigorous More

antonyms: poor, ill
    • pleasing and welcome.
      "she was pleased to hear good news about him"
    • expressing approval.
      "the play had good reviews"
  2. 2.
    having the qualities required for a particular role.
    "the schools here are good"
    synonyms: fine, superior, quality; More

antonyms: bad, inept, unconvincing
    • appropriate to a particular purpose.
      "this is a good month for planting seeds"
      synonyms: convenient, suitable, appropriate, fitting, fit; More

• (of language) with correct grammar and pronunciation.
      "she speaks good English"
    • strictly adhering to or fulfilling all the principles of a particular cause, religion, or party.
      "a good Catholic girl"
      synonyms: close, intimate, dear, bosom, special, best, firm, valued, treasured; More

• (of a ticket) valid.
      "the ticket is good for travel from May to September"
  3. 3.
    possessing or displaying moral virtue.
    "I've met many good people who made me feel ashamed of my own shortcomings"
    synonyms: virtuous, righteous, upright, upstanding, moral, ethical, high-minded, principled; More

4. 4.
    giving pleasure; enjoyable or satisfying.
    "the streets fill up with people looking for a good time"
    synonyms: enjoyable, pleasant, agreeable, pleasurable, delightful, great, nice, lovely; More

5. 5.
    thorough.
    "the attic needed a good cleaning"
  6. 6.
    used in conjunction with the name of God or a related expression as an exclamation of extreme surprise or anger.
    "good heavens!"
noun
noun: good; plural noun: goods
  1. 1.
    that which is morally right; righteousness.
    "a mysterious balance of good and evil"
    synonyms: virtue, righteousness, goodness, morality, integrity, rectitude; More

antonyms: wickedness
  2. 2.
    benefit or advantage to someone or something.
    "he convinces his father to use his genius for the good of mankind"
    synonyms: benefit, advantage, profit, gain, interest, welfare, well-being; More

antonyms: disadvantage
  3. 3.
    merchandise or possessions.
    "imports of luxury goods"
    synonyms: merchandise, wares, stock, commodities, produce, products, articles; More

adverb
informal
adverb: good
  1. 1.
    well.
    "my mother could never cook this good"
  • Guillotine 3

Can we not have a thread that should be celebrating real life heroics be purely about freaking Elon Musk? Love him or hate him, he was a sideshow to this whole ordeal.

I still can't get over that trip time of 8-10 hours. I can't wait to read a really deep dive on how the whole thing went down. I really want to know how much time was in/under water, deco stops, off gassing, etc.  I'm in the middle of planning a diving vacation and I'm going to be thinking about these guys the whole time.

• Like 1